1.    #1  
    what do u guys thing about the notification on the touch pad with webos 3.0. personally im not really digging it and hopefully they dont move it to the phones. its kinda like the android notifications
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    From my understanding, the tablet size products will have the notification in the new area. Phones will continue to have gesture area along with the notification system we know and love.
    it actually makes sense wtih the screen's real estate to be honest

this way you don't have to move your entire arm out of the way if you get a notification

and i love the way that you swipe away individual notifications if you have multiple messages/emails that you'll deal with later

i dont know how many times on the pre that happens to me and i gotta open up the entire email app and find the email
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    it actually makes sense wtih the screen's real estate to be honest

this way you don't have to move your entire arm out of the way if you get a notification
    Precisely why it was done!
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    I think it's sexy. Love it. Honestly, about the only thing I like about the tablet.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I think the notifications would be much better on top. I don't like the way you lose a little bit of screen size once you receive a notification at the bottom. I for one can't wait to try out the top notifications on the touch pad and I hope they get moved for all devices.
    I think it's a nice mix of the android and webOS notification system. Still interactive, still unobtrusive, but is a better use of screen realestate.

It's pretty funny, webOS and Honeycomb have pretty much converged onto the same notifcation system, but swapped the locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhelan View Post
    I think the notifications would be much better on top. I don't like the way you lose a little bit of screen size once you receive a notification at the bottom. I for one can't wait to try out the top notifications on the touch pad and I hope they get moved for all devices.
    I hope that system makes its way to the phones as well. Perhaps the slight loss of screen real estate won't be as much a factor on the pre3 and future iterations, but my current pre needs all the real estate it has and I'm sure the Veer users won't want to lose another sliver...
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omeg12121293 View Post
    what do u guys thing about the notification on the touch pad with webos 3.0. personally im not really digging it and hopefully they dont move it to the phones. its kinda like the android notifications
    Really? You've used it? Isn't that the only way you would really know if you dig it or not?
    Since the 9/2 I had the idea that I've seen those notifications somewhere before, and today I realized that the new top bar is almost a copy of OS X's one, with the diference that notifications are stacked in webOS.
    I like the concept of "notification triage," and I think its location makes sense (sorta) on the TouchPad, but I'd hate seeing that implementation brought to the handhelds.

Android's notifications "drawer" is accessed by dragging your finger down from the top of the screen, and I hate it. Especially on bigger devices, stretching your thumb all the way up to the top of the device, only to drag it back down again, is just so clumsy and uncomfortable -- and all the while you're covering up the display. I much prefer notifications at the bottom of the screen, as they are in the current webOS versions.
    It would benefit HP to adopt the way they do notifications on the TouchPad into future webOS versions for their phone(s). It just makes more sense and doesn't take up screen real estate.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Since the 9/2 I had the idea that I've seen those notifications somewhere before, and today I realized that the new top bar is almost a copy of OS X's one, with the diference that notifications are stacked in webOS.
    It looks like Windows to me - I've always set my task bar to the top of the screen ever since you could do that in Windows 95. Nothing new to see here.
    I don't think they are for the smaller screen. It will be different with the Pre3/ Veer. I like them because it has the feel of a real desktop. Its alot like growl for the Mac if you have ever used it.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I don't think they are for the smaller screen. It will be different with the Pre3/ Veer. I like them because it has the feel of a real desktop. Its alot like growl for the Mac if you have ever used it.
    Yeah Growl is great. The webOS phone notification system wouldn't have worked very nicely on the massive tablet. I'm glad the redesigned it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)