Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Active digitizers rule. They're also prohibitively expensive; my friend bought an HTC Flyer for close to 800 (around $1100ish), which would have people on this forum throw around **** like monkeys if that was the price point for any device running webOS. (an aside: he returned the thing after three days)
    My wife is an artist by trade and is desperately awaiting a tablet she can draw on with cintique precision.

Nobody seems interested in making one.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    My wife is an artist by trade and is desperately awaiting a tablet she can draw on with cintique precision.

Nobody seems interested in making one.

* Snip
    Asus EP121 as a Windows 7 Slate, or ~

HTC Flyer as an Android device.
    Definitely not HTC flyer - their N-trig implementation have only two pressure states (thick and thin) - nothing between. Basically Wacom is only option here - but that means Tablet PC with poor battery life.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    I haven't used a capacitive sylus before but to my knowledge they work just as well as regular pens. Why can't someone just buy a capacitive stylus and use it on the TouchPad?
    I've tried many types of capacitive styli available for the iPad 1 and 2 (over 10 different models at my last count). No, they don't work just as well as regular pens.

Besides, using an unsupported stylus is very different from using a pen which was taken into consideration from the start by the OS manufacturer. When using a stylus on iOS, there is very little . I imagine it'd be the same on the TouchPad. I agree with the OP that HP missed an opportunity here.
    Quote Originally Posted by tr47 View Post
    Definitely not HTC flyer - their N-trig implementation have only two pressure states (thick and thin) - nothing between. Basically Wacom is only option here - but that means Tablet PC with poor battery life.
    I am not a real fan of the N-trig technology other than it saves battery life by moving the powered coils to the pen instead of the device, but I believe the DuoSense has been noted to provide 16 levels of pressure sensitivity.

It may appear that it only has thick and thin when it is tried, but over at tabletpcreview there has been some pretty nice artwork drawn using the Flyer.

The Touchpad should have had an active digitizer for pen and touch, plain and simple.
    Last edited by dceggert; 06/14/2011 at 10:25 AM.
    regards,

Dan

------------------
    TabletPC user
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Active digitizers rule. They're also prohibitively expensive; my friend bought an HTC Flyer for close to 800 (around $1100ish), which would have people on this forum throw around **** like monkeys if that was the price point for any device running webOS. (an aside: he returned the thing after three days)
    LOL
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    I've tried many types of capacitive styli available for the iPad 1 and 2 (over 10 different models at my last count). No, they don't work just as well as regular pens.

Besides, using an unsupported stylus is very different from using a pen which was taken into consideration from the start by the OS manufacturer. When using a stylus on iOS, there is very little . I imagine it'd be the same on the TouchPad. I agree with the OP that HP missed an opportunity here.

Did you try Skosh? They work for handwriting, maybe not exactly as easily as a pen, but pretty decent IMO. Preciseness is a bit off though. I use on my iPad.

Amazon.com: Skosh Capacitive Stylus Pen for iPad+iPhone with Tether-Black (also available in Silver or Pink with Tether or a Larger Clip Style in Black or Silver): Cell Phones & Accessories
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Did you try Skosh? They work for handwriting, maybe not exactly as easily as a pen, but pretty decent IMO. Preciseness is a bit off though. I use on my iPad.

Amazon.com: Skosh Capacitive Stylus Pen for iPad+iPhone with Tether-Black (also available in Silver or Pink with Tether or a Larger Clip Style in Black or Silver): Cell Phones & Accessories
    Yes, I tried styli from the wacom capacitive stylus to the Ostylus using different apps from penultimate to writepad. Like you said, it's just not precise enough. It's possible to bend over backwards and make the iPad work for note taking or drawing, but at the end of the day, I'd rather just stick with pencil and paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    ...the DuoSense has been noted to provide 16 levels of pressure sensitivity...
    Maybe N-trig has 16 levels (and for me it should be enough) but it doesnt look like they are registered in Flyer. This may be just poorly written software.

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    ...The Touchpad should have had an active digitizer for pen and touch, plain and simple...
    Im more into 7/8" tablet but even though absence of pen&touch is dealbreaker.

On the other hand webOS 3.* seems to me like very scalable and with HP sized company I belive they can push lots of devices in short period of time. Basically they can sell HP Slate just with ARM board from 10" Touchpad
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123