Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    From the video I saw, I cringed at the lag. When the HP guy tries to respond to an email, the new card just pulses... and pulses...and pulses. He finally gives up. Major fail for a demo!

This is the same lag that I agreed to let slide when the Pre launched on Sprint. A little lag, I said. It's to be expected with a new phone and OS. And when each new update arrived, and the lag was still there, I became more and more frustrated. Even with overclocking, I find it just sits there from time to time. I am an ardent Apple despiser. But every time I see an iPhone or iPad, there's not a trace of lag. Never waiting to scroll, open, move etc. Just fast and smooth.

I had really hoped that webOS 2.0 and the tablets would spell the end of the lag, but it seems like it's just part of the OS. Maybe it always will be.

To stay in the game, HP has to make the TouchPad flawless. It's coming so late it has to be able to compete with products that will arrive before it. Amazing screen, smooth and fast, and EARLY summer, not September. And if it lags like this, I think it's not going to be the flawless device they need to keep WebOS viable.

I've really avoided making posts like these in the past, but now I just can't help it. I need to vent. Anyone have a reason to believe? I think I've lost mine.
    I saw that too. I am hopeful that the code needs to be optimized. Even still, its discouraging to see a product that isnt fully baked.

And I need to hear about the battery life.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Really this is not acceptable and I don't like to be a internet tech fan that whines, but this os is over 2 years old and TWO 1.2 ghz chips, what the frack is that thing doing? The playbook is dual 1 ghz and is screams and the androids are also screaming. Sheesh.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    If the battery life isn't 6-7 hours, that's another very bad sign. Listen to me - someone will undoubtedly accuse me of being an apple ****** somewhere in this thread, i imagine.
    Last edited by tlaz; 02/09/2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: typo
    I don't. Apple set a bar, nothing wrong with that. HP, Android, and RIM have to live up to that whether they WANT TO or not.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I was really expecting HP to blow away Apple. I've been assuming Palm/HP would finally do it. WebOS has SOOOO much going for it over the other OS's. That's the entire reason HP wanted to buy Palm - that much is very clear. But once again, the hardware is lacking. I hope the Pre 3 screams with speed. I love the form factor and wouldn't trade it. But not everyone is like me. There's a reason 50 gazillion slab phones have been sold. People like 'em. Why they would opt against a slab form factor is beyond me. Even Blackberry has one!

But the lag in the user experience and the lag in release date is going to really hurt them. I am just Mr. Doom and Gloom today.
    With what we saw today, I think all of us ardent webOS fans have the same feeling. This is no a good sign and that is why I am taking the next 5 months I have left on my contract to really research what options are available to me.
    I am leaning to playbook and I could wait 5 or 6 months and look back at hp.
    Yea, it was pretty painful for me to watch as well. From what I could tell, it seemed like, near the end, when he closed the magazine apps, that everything got a lot snappier.

Obviously this is not a hardware issue, with the insane stuff they put in this thing. webOS really needs to start looking hard at backgrounding, and start limiting what apps can do. Right now webOS is on the other extreme of iOS with backgrounding, and just let things run wild sometimes. They definitely should not go as locked down as iOS, but they need to get somewhere in the middle, so that this kind of lag is extremely rare. Also, for the phones they really need this just to improve battery life.
    This thing is months away from release. Are you really going to assume this is the final device?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Agreed. multi-tasking clearly comes with a price. But at least for the &%$#@ demo they could have made it work! C'mon guys - are you trying to scare people off?
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    This thing is months away from release. Are you really going to assume this is the final device?
    With 2 year old os, yeah it should be damn good even 6 months out with two 1.2ghz cores.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    that's the point. it should be shipping now, not performing a laggy demo for a release sometime in the summer.
    Dear lord, why did they allow hands-on demonstrations of this device in this rough a state. Scrolling, card movement...you name an animation, and it was lag/chop city. For a pad with double the RAM of an iPad (not to mention a faster dual core processor) not be able to bring up an email...it's a joke.

Of course, we'll get assurances that the software isn't near final and that additional optimization will be done, and before you know it....you're in the exact same pattern as Pre 1 users were on Sprint.
    We don't need another thread about ship dates, first off.

Second: OP, have you used webOS 2.0? It's almost flawless on my Pre2. That's probably because it's on a device that's currently on store shelves. It's fully-baked. The TouchPad is obviously not.

Who knows how much code is different in webOS 3.x? Who knows how much optimization wasn't able to be done before the announcement?

I'll admit some of the lag (Kindle app, for example) gave me pause. Then I remembered the above points.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Dear lord, why did they allow hands-on demonstrations of this device in this rough a state. Scrolling, card movement...you name an animation, and it was lag/chop city. For a pad with double the RAM of an iPad (not to mention a faster dual core processor) not be able to bring up an email...it's a joke.

Of course, we'll get assurances that the software isn't near final and that additional optimization will be done, and before you know it....you're in the exact same pattern as Pre 1 users were on Sprint.
    It has quadruple (4X) times the RAM of the iPad.
    Then you remembered HP is not Apple as much as they might want to be. Then remembered that by the time this comes out ipad2 and 45 honey-comb tablets will have been out for 4 months.

Then you realized that there is no excuse.

This is why apple waits until its READY to be shown. Heck, even google waited with honeycomb, showing only videos at CES.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Who knows how much code is different in webOS 3.x? Who knows how much optimization wasn't able to be done before the announcement?
    Which is why you don't allow demos like to occur. If your device can't render a notification swipe without lagging like an Intel Atom netbook streaming a 1080p Hulu video, don't allow the public to view it outside of controlled demos.
    I pray that a lot happens in the next 5-7 months.

And I pray that I still have the disposable income when its released. Too many toys to buy...
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    With 2 year old os, yeah it should be damn good even 6 months out with two 1.2ghz cores.
    This OS could be only 6 months old. It's 3.0

Also, you should all watch the full Think Beyond video. This thing SCREAMS in the live demo... Assuming it's the same thing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast