Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    Also, you should all watch the full Think Beyond video. This thing SCREAMS in the live demo... Assuming it's the same thing.
    Love the live demo in said video. I agree that everyone should watch at least the demo portions before condemning or praising the new phones. But that's too much to ask, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Which is why you don't allow demos like to occur. If your device can't render a notification swipe without lagging like an Intel Atom netbook streaming a 1080p Hulu video, don't allow the public to view it outside of controlled demos.
    Well, it was either announce it now, or keep talking "coming months." I'm glad they announced now.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Two things:

1) All the apps shown on the TouchPad were built with Enyo, a framework which is in alpha. So no, it is not done on the software side.

2) It does not have two 1.2 Ghz chips. It's one dual core chip. There is a difference.
    Apps:

Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    Two things:

1) All the apps shown on the TouchPad were built with Enyo, a framework which is in alpha. So no, it is not done on the software side.
    Yeah, but the actual OS - not the apps - but the actual moving of cards back and forth and notifications and such were choppy.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I saw that too. I am hopeful that the code needs to be optimized. Even still, its discouraging to see a product that isnt fully baked.

And I need to hear about the battery life.
    WebOS has been released since 2009. They SHOULD have optimized it a year ago. The lag in this demo (and on the Pre2) is totally unacceptable.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    We don't need another thread about ship dates, first off.

Second: OP, have you used webOS 2.0? It's almost flawless on my Pre2. That's probably because it's on a device that's currently on store shelves. It's fully-baked. The TouchPad is obviously not.
    No, I haven't enjoyed 2.0 yet - hoping that it will arrive OTA. I appreciate the points you've made. I should give it a chance. It's just that since the Sprint launch, I've been waiting for a largely lag-free experience, and have yet to see it myself. So I've become a skeptic. Time will tell - just not sure how much time HP has left for skeptics like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    No, I haven't enjoyed 2.0 yet - hoping that it will arrive OTA. I appreciate the points you've made. I should give it a chance. It's just that since the Sprint launch, I've been waiting for a largely lag-free experience, and have yet to see it myself. So I've become a skeptic. Time will tell - just not sure how much time HP has left for skeptics like me.
    They said no 2.0 for older devices. Pre 2, Veer and Pre 3 only.
    I'm watching that video right now. This dude has a TON of cards open! Books and memory intensive stuff. And yes, I'm sure they are still optimizing the WebOS 3.0 build. No way is it complete yet.
    seriously complaining about this

this is 3.0. it's not even on the shelves yet. enyo is involved which hasn't been optimized yet. every app on that device including email is new with enyo
    yeah I agree with some (only if they knew it was ,or would be a problem) they shouldnt demo certain parts to the public that would cause noticable lag. Though all the other videos I have seen, and reviews like engagdet, BGR, laptopmag etc state that their experiance was that it was very fast, with no noticable lag. So heres hoping that its not only ready when it hits the market, its sooner then summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    I'm watching that video right now. This dude has a TON of cards open! Books and memory intensive stuff. And yes, I'm sure they are still optimizing the WebOS 3.0 build. No way is it complete yet.
    It has a freakin gig of ram...
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It has a freakin gig of ram...
    Does it have anything to do with how WebOS can run multiple apps? What other devices do you see running all of these apps at once? Does Android/iOS work this way? (Stating a real question here, not trying to be a smartass)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    seriously complaining about this

this is 3.0. it's not even on the shelves yet. enyo is involved which hasn't been optimized yet. every app on that device including email is new with enyo
    Do they have to optimize scrolling from one card to another smoothly or notifications? Because they were super laggy as well. Given the performance concerns regarding WebOS in the past, this is the one thing you want to have right before demoing it in one-on-one sessions. If an app can't render smoothly and reliably, don't demo it. They had presenters refusing to run certain apps, and rightly so. Any app that couldn't run identically to what we saw in the presentation should've been on their list.
    Does it have anything to do with how WebOS can run multiple apps?
    In general, more ram equals better performance when running multiple apps.

I think a more likely scenario here is the webOS 3.0 build they demoed doesn't have hardware acceleration yet.
    Does it have anything to do with how WebOS can run multiple apps? What other devices do you see running all of these apps at once? Does Android/iOS work this way? (Stating a real question here, not trying to be a smartass)
    No prob.

More RAM enables more apps to run at the same time. The Pre Plus was less prone to Too Many cards errors than the original Pre due to having double the RAM. I'm not really going to comment on Android or iOS except to say that they do offer multitasking that is implemented differently. To say more would just open up the "Yeah? Well, is it true multitasking? Is it elegant?" argument that creeps up on these forums every so often that only WebOS users seem to care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    In general, more ram equals better performance when running multiple apps.

I think a more likely scenario here is the webOS 3.0 build they demoed doesn't have hardware acceleration yet.
    I'm certain that is the case. The thing is, souped up hardware helped obviate that to a certain point on the original Pre, and no uberkernel Pre at 800mhz and 256MB of RAM ever rendered cards moving so roughly, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $despite$ $lacking$ $hardware$ $acceleration$.

This has a dual core processor that is more efficient running at a higher clock speed and quadruple the RAM. Yet, it looked more like Teal OS on a Centro than WebOS cards as I remember them on a 1.4.5 Uberkernel Pre.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12