1.    #1  
    I was catching up on the news for today and noticed from this chart

HP TouchPad vs. iPad vs. Xoom vs. PlayBook: the tale of the tape -- Engadget

..that there is NO rear camera. .. I know the iPad doesn't have one but come summer the Ipad2 will most likely have it. Anybody else have a problem with it? I want to do video calls and switch back and forth from each camera. If its not one thing its another!
    --Marvin
    Yeah, and front camera puny 1.3 megapixels. Plus no video out. I am getting a bad feeling here on this tablet. NOT bashing hp or the touchpad, but not feeling as good after I seen videos and features.
    do you really need a rear camera on the tablet though? the only reason there is a camera is for video calls
    Uh, yeah like pick it up and take high def video of something and post it. Camera not for just pics you know.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    your phone is the camera, this is not meant to be a stand alone device, it is a companion to your phone.
    Don't really need it on a pad. In my opinion that's overkill but to each their own. However, the no video out is a bummer. No presentations for the Touchpad. Not very business friendly in this aspect.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    People who want to take pictures on a tablet have obviously never tried doing so.

It's awkward. You look like a tool while doing it. The results are often ... sub-par.

Just IMO.
    Moot points when competitors are releasing pads with this feature. I mean this is a competitive market. I would use the rear facing camera.
    It's about use cases, not about spec sheets. HP is not pandering to the spec-obsessed geek conventions of the world with these devices; they're selling them on the experience. A handheld camera the size of a spiral notebook isn't part of that experience.

Competitors are doing it because of "if-iPad-doesn't-have-it-then-we-should-include-it" mentality. Not because people really want to hold their Galaxy Tabs at eye level to take a crappy 3MP picture.
    Video calling got the same response in the past VCI, useless and awkward. Then people started using it, lol. Now all good phones need a front facing camera. Same with camera phones period. As soon as people start widely using something, it's no longer considered useless.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    A camera would be nice just for the point of competing.
    It's heavier than the current ipad too. The ipad2 is said to be even lighter.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    A camera would be nice just for the point of competing.
    It's heavier than the current ipad too. The ipad2 is said to be even lighter.
    I agree its all about what the other tablets have unless the Touchpad is focused on business users ..
    --Marvin
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    Moot points when competitors are releasing pads with this feature. I mean this is a competitive market. I would use the rear facing camera.
    would they make up for that by selling it at a much lower price point than $800?
    Its really a dumb idea, no rear cam, means no video shooting.

I am more and more inclined to stick to my galaxy tab now.

See if some hands on can turn me around.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post

..that there is NO rear camera. .. I know the iPad doesn't have one but come summer the Ipad2 will most likely have it. Anybody else have a problem with it? I want to do video calls and switch back and forth from each camera. If its not one thing its another!
    Call me tablet-newbie. What do you use the rear facing camera for during a video call? Here's what I want:

small webos phone with decent camera, tablet and the wireless keyboard,,, and finally a webos tv so I don't need to have tv out.. I can just change screens so to speak. We'll see that about the same time as the laptops I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Video calling got the same response in the past VCI, useless and awkward. Then people started using it, lol. Now all good phones need a front facing camera. Same with camera phones period. As soon as people start widely using something, it's no longer considered useless.
    You make a good point, but it would be my argument that video calling is not yet "widely used," especially outside of Apple's FaceTime. You don't see Fring bragging about how much traffic they're getting, probably because a large percentage of people did what I did: used it as a novelty for the first week, then forgot about it.

High-end phones might be shipping with front-facing cameras, but I don't think that's reflective of the demand for them, so much as a symptom of "spec wars." I think the same is true for rear-facing tablet cameras.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post

I suspect the smaller device will be the one with the camera on the back. Just a guess though.
    This is America...we like, no DEMAND more choice! Its not that we will use it, but that we CAN use it if needed!

Ohk...steps off soapbox

But seriously, I would rather have it than not. Augmented reality, occasional pics/video, and as a stat-stuffer...those are 3 decent reasons. But I would prefer a video out option over a rear cam.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    I don't think a rear facing camera makes much sense on a tablet. The size of the tablet makes it pretty awkward to use as a camera/video recorder IMHO.

No video out could be a major problem, though.
    lol yea cause I would rather walk around taking pictures with something thats the size of my head insted of just useing my tiny phone and then tapping them together....