1.    #1  
    Hardware specs seem pretty good to make a run at the tablet market, but as already noted here, getting some key apps on-board will be absolutely critical.

If HP can't land Netflix or Flipboard or Pulse or Hootsuite or TweetDeck or [insert your favorite iPad app here] would you switch? What's a must-have? And did I miss it, or did they finally announce how they'd enable an OEM media sync solution for music and other media?
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    I'm not a dev, but if HP is promising to put webOS on almost every device they ship, how can you ignore that?

I think the app market for webOS phones might be saved by the Touchpad. If the phones were just announced today without any tablet, it would be a little bit harder than it is to talk myself into waiting.

I think the magnet will be the magnet for the devs.

It would be good if HP announced a few more phones before this summer too.
  3.    #3  
    I tell you where HP will have an opportunity, and that's in the business environment. I see iPads everywhere these days. Probably one of the most readily-adopted devices in years from a business perspective. HP needs to leverage their enterprise sales team to really drive the device, but needs a differentiator.
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    it'll be a year before we see anything if at all. The lack of tier 1 apps, even ones aplready available on the pre is troubling. There wasn't even a pandora app shown...
    You're so right that apps are the key.
    I'm very keen on a webOS tablet, but it must have:

- Skype (rumoured to be coming)
    - Better PDF implementation. (The pad size makes it a perfect pdf reader. Many people purchase the ipad for this alone). From my experience with my Palm Pre, the pdf reader needs a lot of improvement.
    - Kindle app. (Sounds like this will be out at launch).
    Old news. HP failed. Move along. Nothing to see here . . .
    Apps will make a huge difference. They need to reach out even more to devs! This is imperative!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think most developers will take a "wait and see" approach. What's the hurry? It's not like HP is going to sell very many mobile devices over the next six months. Develop an app for the Veer? It's probably going to sell for something like $99 on contract and will not exactly appeal to power users.
    This. As a developer not being bought outright by HP to make an app, what's your incentive?

They are gone from store shelves, have no firm release dates when they will return or carrier agreements, have a beta SDK, and have a developer device that uses a different, slower chipset than their new flagship phone and tablet. You could try developing for the 2 million or so existing WebOS devices, but HP has forsaken them so why shouldn't you?

They've basically paralyzed the WebOS ecosystem for the next 4-8 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    They've basically paralyzed the WebOS ecosystem for the next 4-8 months.
    Even worse, there doesn't appear to be any momentum at all. HP was showing Word Ace and Facebook on stage. The highest profile apps they showcase on their Pre 3 and TouchPad sites are Evernote and Pandora.

Not quite the killer apps you want to show at your big relaunch event to prove that webOS is a viable platform.