Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 84
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, your information is flawed from what I can tell. The HP is actually heavier. As far as button placement - seriously? You think putting a button in the middle underneath the screen is something Apple invented? Really???
    Vertical orientation, you say?
  2. #42  
    Yep, when they're off, they look EXACTLY the same.

    Kinda like how all cars are exactly the same when inside a garage.
    I see pandas.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Yep, when they're off, they look EXACTLY the same.

    Kinda like how all cars are exactly the same when inside a garage.
    Ford and GM copied Jobs' car too, y'know.
  4. #44  
    That's funny, because the iPad didn't look like any tablet that came before it. Now, all tablets MUST look like an iPad. Same with the iPhone. Hmmm...
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That's funny, because the iPad didn't look like any tablet that came before it. Now, all tablets MUST look like an iPad. Same with the iPhone. Hmmm...
    Hah, that's funny. You really going to insist that Apple invented the portrait oriented tablet computer?

    Maybe HP (Compaq, at the time) copied them as early as 2002 using their "look into the future" technology (as a matter of fact, the iPad looks a lot like this one):
    HP Compaq Tablet PC TC1000 Review (TM5800 1 GHz, 10.4" TFT) - Tablets - CNET Reviews

    But even that wasn't really original. We've been able to rotate monitors for years.

    None of this stuff is "original" or "invented" by any one tech company. They copy each other. Incrimentally.
  6. #46  
    Right. The iPad is a complete rip off of that. What was I thinking? HP took no cues from the iPad. Silly me.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, your information is flawed from what I can tell. The HP is actually heavier.
    Hope you've had time to Google that and see it is you who are mistaken. PC even made a point of this on a recent post.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Right. The iPad is a complete rip off of that. What was I thinking? HP took no cues from the iPad. Silly me.
    See, that's where the silliness kicks in. Read very closely:

    No one said the iPad is a "complete rip off" of anything.

    No one is even implying that.

    However, some folks keep coming on here and insist that anything similar to an Apple product is a rip-off of the Apple product (or clone, or copy, or any of the other nonsense).

    That photo was from almost 9 years ago. The way technology advances, I would say yes, that's pretty similar to in concept to something that was produced 8 years later. Obviously, we can do things thinner and lighter now, but Apple stuck pretty close to screen size, but definitely stuck to the vertical orientation, which I believe you brought up...
  9. #49  
    I just noticed that HP stock took a slight hit, while Apple stock rose almost $3. Even the stock market mistook it for an iPad.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Hope you've had time to Google that and see it is you who are mistaken. PC even made a point of this on a recent post.
    Didn't Google it, just went by Engadget. They say differently:
    HP TouchPad vs. iPad vs. Xoom vs. PlayBook: the tale of the tape -- Engadget

    They show the TouchPad at 740g, and the iPad at 680g WiFI only, and
    730g with WiFi + 3G. Since the TouchPad shown is WiFi only, it looks like it's about 60g heavier.

    What am I missing? I certainly may be missing something. I've never touched either device, and only going by what I've read. Where are the stats your basing your "exact copy" information on?
  11. #51  
    I thought the OP said this was the anti-hate thread, lol!!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12. #52  
    Last edited by dandbj13; 02/09/2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: error.
  13. #53  
    Which, of course, is not what you said. You used the word "exact". Words have meaning.

    But, they did not get it to within 10 grams. The no WiFi only version of teh iPad is 680 grams vs HP's 740.

    I suspect that if the discussion was which one was more advanced because of the weight (or lack of weight), you'd be all over the 60 grams difference. But, since you want to insist that HP copied the weight, you're going to pretend that 740g is "exactly" the same as a comparable 680g device.

    Keep trying, I don't think we're really convinced yet.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I thought the OP said this was the anti-hate thread, lol!!!
    Unfortunately, the mods have been busy, so we're back to "every thread becomes an Apple thread" mode again.
    I'm sure they'll come around and clean it up.
  15. #55  
    Ah man, leave the thread a moment and they are arguing over grams, and not even white grams. LOL

    Did anyone mention that the mail app looks like a straight port from an ipad, but with a cool addition of the number row? Did I miss that? LOL
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Ah man, leave the thread a moment and they are arguing over grams, and not even white grams. LOL

    Did anyone mention that the mail app looks like a straight port from an ipad, but with a cool addition of the number row? Did I miss that? LOL
    Didn't Apple invent email?
    Or was it white grams they invented?
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Didn't Apple invent email?
    Or was it white grams they invented?
    Ha ha ha. Like that.
    At the end of the day folks, whether you like HP/Palm, think they bombed on the Pre 3, Veer, whatever, this scenario they put together is the only real contender. That touch device thing is something Apple is rolling over about. I know, I have an iPad and I am wondering why they did not do this. So simple it seems stupid. I like this pad and will be getting one. With the other companies they purchased, they got a better shot then Xoom, it will Xoom straight to nowhere. Playbook is already played, no PIM functions without a BB, are you serious RIM? Android, Android everywhere, when you get your updates no one cares.
  18.    #58  
    *sighs* can a mod just like lock this thread, people cant stick on topic like I asked..

    -Toaster
  19. #59  
    Years ago I was a regular on a sports team forum and, at least for a few months, we got all the regulars to agree to not feed trolls when they came on the board. Amazingly, when we stopped feeding them, they quickly, and quietly, went away. Just sayin'.

    That said, today's announcement kind of reminds me of a part from "The Prestige". The more I ponder the announcements, the more I'm convinced I saw some true magic on stage. However, I think there was so much crowded into the announcement and so little message focus the magic got lost amidst the mundane.

    JMHO

    Gargoyle
    Last edited by gargoylejps; 02/09/2011 at 09:45 PM.
  20. NateEaton's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #60  
    Plus one... very excited with what I saw today and in anticipation of someday owning a TouchPad. And though it could be seen as Apple envy, I cannot wait to someday show my Apple-loving son and sister what a *real* OS can do. And my other son with his Android phone? Gonna make him cry like a baby when he gets a close look at my Pre 3. ;-)
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions