Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am disappointed to learn there is no gesture area on the touchpad. You press a button. I was really excited for the possibilities of having a gesture area surround the screen. Really don't understand why they would not utilize such a great part of the webos experience.
    I'm also, got used to it on my Pre + and Pre2, mostly for going forward and back, opening the list of apps and so on
    :/
    yeah this is a HUGE downside.

My hype went down when i learned this.

No more app switching without going in the card view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I am disappointed to learn there is no gesture area on the touchpad. You press a button. I was really excited for the possibilities of having a gesture area surround the screen. Really don't understand why they would not utilize such a great part of the webos experience.
    can you link to confirmation? Didnt all the leaked things say it had a gesture area
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    can you link to confirmation? Didnt all the leaked things say it had a gesture area
    Go check out the engadget video. There is a button you have to press for card view.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Watch this video. No gesture area...
    HP TouchPad first hands-on! (updated with video!) -- Engadget

I'm not happy about this at all. How will previous apps translate to the tablet now? Will they all have to be recoded to include back buttons now? Will previous apps even work on the TouchPad? Seems like a BIG mistake to get rid of the gesture area...
    TouchPad has no gesture area, only a center button like iPAD, though it retains on screen gestures like swipe up.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Yea, how will this work now? It always seemed that webos was built with the gesture area in mind... Can't even get to previous screens in some apps (web, for example) without it!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    the gesture area is the one thing that would one-up the ipad, and translate over from my original pre roots. what a shame
    They have to save some features for the Touchpad2!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Viper View Post
    Watch this video. No gesture area...
    HP TouchPad first hands-on! (updated with video!) -- Engadget

I'm not happy about this at all. How will previous apps translate to the tablet now? Will they all have to be recoded to include back buttons now? Will previous apps even work on the TouchPad? Seems like a BIG mistake to get rid of the gesture area...
    Yeah developers will have to migrate to Enyo to take full advantage. Just look at the video for the email app to get an idea of how an app will translate to the tablet.
    I guess it presented some issues since like the guy says, most use will probably be in landscape mode...
    Quote Originally Posted by BotleRocketWar View Post
    I guess it presented some issues since like the guy says, most use will probably be in landscape mode...
    A rotating gesture area would have been ideal. It boggles my mind as to why HP did not think of this.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by BotleRocketWar View Post
    There could workarounds like a simple gesture area on/off toggle so the user could have the choice. It looks annoying to have to reach to your left to press a button for card view. They could have a 3 finger swipe up or some type of gesture that would initiate card view from the screen. That wouldn't be a gesture area but it would be better than pushing a button.
  16. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    It really would have been neat to see the gesture area rotate with the screen. (Always on the bottom bezel.)
  17. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    There could workarounds like a simple gesture area on/off toggle so the user could have the choice. It looks annoying to have to reach to your left to press a button for card view. They could have a 3 finger swipe up or some type of gesture that would initiate card view from the screen. That wouldn't be a gesture area but it would be better than pushing a button.
    That might be something that could be implemented with a software upgrade. (Some kind of advanced gesture, even across the active screen.)
    I dont remember them saying no gesture area, just because there is a dedicated button for card view doesn't mean there is no gesture area. They might have that side as the gesture area & didn't want two area's for landscape & portrait. Otherwise i don't see how they would go back in apps other than including dedicated back buttons which i saw none.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    That might be something that could be implemented with a software upgrade. (Some kind of advanced gesture, even across the active screen.)
    Yeah, I reckon an on-screen gesture area, preferably customisable would be good. Not all apps may need it and with all that screen real-estate there's plenty of room for an on-screen one if you need it.
    I think the fact was that the app-model where you stack scenes, used in Mojo, doesn't really work on a tablet-sized app, and was actually problematic also on the phones.

Think of the TouchPad email app, when you see the accounts, list and email at the same time. What does back mean? So gesture area gestures didn't scale to other types of apps and app sizes, making the gesture area pretty unnecessary...
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast