Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ..are potentially endless. I heard mention of passing calls between devices somewhere in the chaos.

What other awesomeness can come from this feature?
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    ..are potentially endless. I heard mention of passing calls between devices somewhere in the chaos.

Like you can already do with Google Voice?

I wonder if it uses Near Field Communication, and industry standard that's really starting to take off. For example, you could use your Pre/Veer instead of a credit card when paying at the checkout counter.

You could share apps.

You could exchange contacts.
    I want it with my laptop. The tablet looks great but I dont need it. I want all this to be integrated into all hp laptops. Give me my txt notifications and call on my laptop screen. It will be sick. Tap to share with all media and web etc. Let everyone download this from hp website for free and it will have people looking at webos phones.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Like you can already do with Google Voice?

I wonder if it uses Near Field Communication, and industry standard that's really starting to take off. For example, you could use your Pre/Veer instead of a credit card when paying at the checkout counter.

You could share apps.

You could exchange contacts.
    I'm in the UK, we don't have Google Voice :-( Pity, as I'd like to take a look.

Those ideas you have are exactly what I'm talking about though! Particularly sharing apps.
    I think a WebOS layer on HP laptops is a great idea. Frankly, they could make it for any Windows or Mac PC as a free download. Sorta like iTunes works for Apple.
    There are all sorts of possibilities. I am curious to see how HP and devs flesh this out.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Yea, I think the touch-to-share feature is getting a little overlooked with all the other news. This seems like a really awesome feature to me. Currently cool with web page sharing, but like you say the possibilities are endless.

I would love to see the natural extension of this to general App state sharing. So when I'm deep in the facebook app, looking at a wall convo on a friend's page, I can tap my TouchPad and have it dive right into that page.

Also, general file sharing would be great. The big thing here I can think of is photos. (I would also like them to really deliver leading cameras in their phones, but that is a different issue). But, being able to take a picture on your phone, then tap your TouchPad and have it automatically sent to the Pad, would be sweet.

Also, App syncing would be cool. The big one I use now is my password/digital wallet storage app. Currently I have a password app on my PC and phone, and occasionally go in and use wifi syncing to make sure they both have all the current info up to date. Being able to do things like that with tap to share would be cool.
    Touch To Share is apparently a combination of some kind of Touchstone-esque induction coil and a Bluetooth link. The BT part is what gets me annoyed, since the whole "leave your phone across your house and take calls on your TouchPad" thing is basically impossible in that situation.

Bluetooth, for me, has never been usable for phone calls further away than 6 feet, let alone 30. But for text forwarding it's great.

The possible Touch To Share applications are endless, though - I don't have WiFi signal on my porch, so I'd love to be able to TTS what I'm working on from my TouchPad to my Pre3 when I step outside.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Touch To Share is apparently a combination of some kind of Touchstone-esque induction coil and a Bluetooth link. The BT part is what gets me annoyed, since the whole "leave your phone across your house and take calls on your TouchPad" thing is basically impossible in that situation.

Bluetooth, for me, has never been usable for phone calls further away than 6 feet, let alone 30. But for text forwarding it's great.

The possible Touch To Share applications are endless, though - I don't have WiFi signal on my porch, so I'd love to be able to TTS what I'm working on from my TouchPad to my Pre3 when I step outside.
    +1

Using bluetooth constrains this feature to the point of being unusable for quite a few purposes.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I think in real use the need for the touchstone is going to become very limiting. It would be much more useful if you didn't have to have one of the devices sitting on a touchstone.

After all, where do most people locate their touchstone? By the computer, right? So chances are I'm not surfing or emailing on either device if I'm in front of my computer.

I can see scenarios where I'm out and about, looking at a yelp review for a restaurant on the touchpad, and want to call to make a reservation, so I bump the phone so I can touchdial the phone number on the website... except I can't because there isn't a touchstone present...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBC View Post
    I think in real use the need for the touchstone is going to become very limiting. It would be much more useful if you didn't have to have one of the devices sitting on a touchstone.

mmm, I might be wrong about this, but I am pretty sure you don't need any device sitting on a touchstone to do TTS. They are expanding the name "touchstone" to include more features I think, so it is a bit confusing to me, but I think you can TTS anywhere if you just have the two devices.
    i actually don't think it uses bluetooth to communicate. When you look at the feature sheet on the Touchpad, the Touch to Share feature has 2 foot notes (2,8):

2 - Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.

8 - Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

Data session is mandatory and both devices must have same profile (webos account). This sounds more like Chrome To Phone Extension like functionality.
    I'm BACK!!!
    Treo 650 -> Treo 755p-> iPhone 3g -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post

I imagine that that your kids could be playing a game with webos pc and he needs to go in the car. All he'd have to do is tap to share the game to his mobile device and he can go and continue to play his game
  14.    #14  
    I'd also love to see a media sync for devices using this. Although I hope Crosstalk will be expanded to do this too.
    Quote Originally Posted by enynite View Post
    i actually don't think it uses bluetooth to communicate. When you look at the feature sheet on the Touchpad, the Touch to Share feature has 2 foot notes (2,8):

2 - Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended and may be required. Not all web content may be available.

8 - Requires HP TouchPad with webOS 3.0 and Pre3 or Veer with webOS 2.2 or higher, both products having the same HP webOS account. Viewing URL web page content requires data connection via Wi-Fi or cellular connection.

Data session is mandatory and both devices must have same profile (webos account). This sounds more like Chrome To Phone Extension like functionality.
    I thought the Veer didn't have the correct hardware?
    i think TTS has the potential to make the Atrix concept seem like over kill. I dont need my phone to power my devices, i just need to be able to access all of my content on any device.

having webOS on HP laptops is going to be a huge big deal... and i believe its closer than we think. the apps already run in the browser. i long from the day when my mobile device and my laptop can work together seamlessly...
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

Really? I thought this was going to be NFC based? That means that effectively it's touch to share with yourself.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr;2861896[B
    ]i think TTS has the potential to make the Atrix concept seem like over kill. [/B]
    Except if the technology works as described in the footnotes, it's going to look pretty lame next to your actual NFC devices.

If this require 3G on both devices = FAIL

If it is wifi direct = Ding, Ding, Ding - we have a winner

If it is bluetooth = Uninspiring

It's not NFC or they would have said so.

I think the one has to have connection and the bluetooth has to function because I don't think wifi and phone work simultaneous on Verizon or Sprint.

this is where the vagueness of HP ****es me off. I get that they need to protect their IP but if its just data/bluetooth and webOS 2.2 why isnt the Pre 2 listed?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast