Sounds like the iPad clone war has officially begun.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    The name is odd, considering that it's a common hardware device (maybe that's the thinking behind it).

I really liked the "PalmPad" name.
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."
    It is not just the name, but the fact that they made changes to get it the exact dimensions of the iPad. I suspect an announcement that the PDK is fully pad compatible. It should not be called the TouchPad, but the wOS iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Heh, I read this just as I saw a screenshot of their mail client...
    "Clone war" yeah.... right
    The not so "a" team will start crying "Hey, they copied us" when what they really mean is "hey, our copy got copied".

Face it, iPad just got bettered. I'm sure this will get bettered as well. We all win.
    This is the first I am hearing of this. What exactly did the iPad copy?
    This is the first I am hearing of this. What exactly did the iPad copy?
    There's a thread for that - but do you really think Apple invented tablet computing, invented touch screens. Won't play here, feel free to take it to the HP vs Apple thread.
    Really impressed with everything so far on the tablet front.

Two problems.

1. Summer (too long)
    2. No Price.
    price will come at the end
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Really impressed with everything so far on the tablet front.

Two problems.

1. Summer (too long)
    2. No Price.
    I agree, summer's too long. Just hoping it's early summer.
    I think the touch to transfer is going to be interesting. I can see some real possibility there, but it's really good to see them expanding the use of Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I agree, summer's too long. Just hoping it's early summer.
    Seriously, after the beginning of that keynote, I had the CC out ready to order it.

Now with waiting for summer, that's a hell of a long time to allow the competition to introduce their 2011 offerings.

Too long imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Seriously, after the beginning of that keynote, I had the CC out ready to order it.

Now with waiting for summer, that's a hell of a long time to allow the competition to introduce their 2011 offerings.

Too long imo.
    10M iPad 2s will be sold by the time this hits the shelves. No mention of price. I suspect they are hoping to undercut Apple. I didn't see any mention of a desktop sync client. All the good work might be undone by the lame commercial. Those are the negatives that come to mind. Most everything else was very impressive. Then again, the Pre looked impressive in a vacuum. Let's see how it looks next to the pads that are shipping in the summer.
    10M iPad 2s will be sold by the time this hits the shelves. No mention of price. I suspect they are hoping to undercut Apple. I didn't see any mention of a desktop sync client. All the good work might be undone by the lame commercial. Those are the negatives that come to mind. Most everything else was very impressive. Then again, the Pre looked impressive in a vacuum. Let's see how it looks next to the pads that are shipping in the summer.
    10m iPad 2s were predicted to be sold by the time this (apparently) will hit the shelf. When the original predictions were made, there was no competition. As you've alluded to (without fully admitting it), now there's competiton.

My wife, a total non-geek (her on-line stuff is the stuff of tablets - web browsing, games, email, Facebook, an occasional document) has been hinting about an iPad for weeks. I told her that HP was coming out with a WebOS based tablet, but didn't know when. Of course, when the announcement about today's event hit, I told her about that, but that's really pretty much been the extent of our talk about it.

Our "wait" though wasn't based on the HP, it was simply money. We're just getting over Christmas for the gkids, so the money wasn't there. Two days ago, she got an $800 bonus at work. I told her she can use it to buy an iPad, even said it might be interesting to have one of each company's devices. She wanted to wait for today's announcement.

She saw the video on Youtube, and the announcements on Engadget (sorry Dieter, she's not into PreCentral). She just texted me - she wants this, not an iPad.

So, that prediction just dropped to 9,999,999. I'm figuring she's not the only person that this will happen to.
    Since she is in a wait and see mode, she might change her mind when the iPad 2 is announced. Summer is a long time.
    Since she is in a wait and see mode, she might change her mind when the iPad 2 is announced. Summer is a long time.
    Might happen, but my point is the same. Now, not only are there people not buying an iPad because of waiting on the iPad 2, but some will be not buying either because of the TouchPad.

Yes, there's now competition.
    Last edited by hparsons; 02/09/2011 at 04:06 PM.