Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Inspiron™ duo | Dell

I like this format. If they could make the Topaz a netbook and a tablet at the same time it would be perfect for WebOS. What do you guys think?

(although I don't know if they ARE going to do this ... )
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Inspiron™ duo | Dell

I like this format. If they could make the Topaz a netbook and a tablet at the same time it would be perfect for WebOS. What do you guys think?

(although I don't know if they ARE going to do this ... )
    Funny, I saw the commercial forr that a few minutes ago watching The Green Mile (for about the 20th time) and had the same thought. The big downside I see would be that it would be a bit thick.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Funny, I saw the commercial forr that a few minutes ago watching The Green Mile (for about the 20th time) and had the same thought. The big downside I see would be that it would be a bit thick.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    HA! I watched a commercial the other day as well and said I want it! Then i saw it was not only dell but Window 7 lol
    This combo unit is a temporary fix designed to address the fact that you can't get all the computing power to run Windoze effectively in a thin tablet.

If you could get all the functionality in the tablet alone, you'd just add a case that includes a bluetooth keyboard to your pad. That's what iPad has done, but the iPad doesn't have the power to have this solution meet power-computing needs.

Over time, the screen will be the largest component and all the computing power will add very little to the size of the hardware needed for the screen. It's happening in phones, tablets and PCs.

A convertible or hybrid seems more restrictive than just buying a bluetooth keyboard if you need one.

The more I buy gadgets, the more I include the case and accessories in my purchase decisions. For example, the Touchstone in the car is a great addition to the Pre. The uniformity of iPhone/iPad guarantees many accessories designed to work with it. I also would never have a pad or netbook without a case, so I consider the functionality added by the case in my decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    ...The more I buy gadgets, the more I include the case and accessories in my purchase decisions. For example, the Touchstone in the car is a great addition to the Pre. The uniformity of iPhone/iPad guarantees many accessories designed to work with it. I also would never have a pad or netbook without a case, so I consider the functionality added by the case in my decisions.
    I tend to agree, but for a tablet, or even the Pre's replacement, I'd want a BT keyboard that was designed to go with the unit, preferbly that held the device.
    it's too utilitarian to be sexy and cool. i think HP should just stick with the tablet form factor.
    I've seen posts written all over about being able to dualboot tablets/netbooks, but never paid attention.
    Now this I might get! Any1 know if it's ever been dualbooted yet by any tablet OS?
    I read the Engadget review, supposedly this laptop is a good idea but the implementation kind of sucks. Like everything Dell has put out recently, it seems...
    I think being able to dock a tablet into a keyboard and have it just be a laptop would be cool, but huge amounts of care would have to be taken to make sure it didn't just fall apart.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    I read the Engadget review, supposedly this laptop is a good idea but the implementation kind of sucks. Like everything Dell has put out recently, it seems...
    I think being able to dock a tablet into a keyboard and have it just be a laptop would be cool, but huge amounts of care would have to be taken to make sure it didn't just fall apart.
    Yea, it's because windows 7 is not meant for tablets. plus it's slow. but webos would be rocking with this design!
    Josh from Engadget speculated that it would be a tablet shell that the phone slides into. I see that as a bad idea, but considering the Atrix, I suppose it has to be tried by someone.
    I strongly disagree that HP should do this. It's a stopgap measure and doesn't indicate a strong direction as to where the company is moving. A product like this shows that Dell is really falling behind and trying to scrape up market share by catering to a very small niche.
    David Vogt - Founder and administrator of Photography Union
    Follow me on Twitter! --- Add me on Facebook!
    Dell's concept was a good first attempt, but it can only imagine how heavy that thing is??? I agree with the person who mentioned a bluetooth keyboard option as being a better option and would certainly set it apart from everyone else in the tablet arena.

Actually, the would be a great opportunity and something different for HP to offer. Lenovo's uses Windows 7 and Android that sounds like a good combination, but obviously webOS would have to be ported or they'd need two processors to support the transition between laptop and tablet mode.

Exciting times ahead and only a few days away...yeah baby! Sorli...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    dell's concept was a good first attempt, but it can only imagine how heavy that thing is??? I agree with the person who mentioned a bluetooth keyboard option as being a better option and would certainly set it apart from everyone else in the tablet arena.

Actually, the would be a great opportunity and something different for hp to offer. Lenovo's uses windows 7 and android that sounds like a good combination, but obviously webos would have to be ported or they'd need two processors to support the transition between laptop and tablet mode.

Exciting times ahead and only a few days away...yeah baby! Sorli...
    awesome! :d
    saw it at best buy last week, cool but not with windows 7
    I looked at this again today to see if this would be something for me. Here are a few points:

1. This is full laptop/netbook, even though lower powered.
    2. It has a hard drive, not solid state.
    3. Battery is only between 3 and 4 hours, more toward 3 hours.
    4. Runs full windows 7 home premium, which is to much for a small device.
    5. One would need to get antivirus software.
    6. Need to defrag etc the hard drive to keep it running smooth.
    7. Dock is $99.99 EXTRA.
    8. External cd drive is $79.99 EXTRA.
    9. Most windows applications are not built for touch, thus touch interface would fail.
    10. When would the flip mechanism break?

These all made me say "no" to this. NOT bashing the device, but I don't need a full laptop and bloated os.
    I'd go with the Hp TouchSmart tm2t ultralight-laptop/tablet hybrid, a much better option than a netbook/tablet hybrid. If you're looking at a netbook/tablet hybrid you'll probably be better off just picking one or the other. Either get a netbook (lower price) or a mobile OS tablet (better optimization) with a keyboard dock.

Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Actually, the would be a great opportunity and something different for HP to offer. Lenovo's uses Windows 7 and Android that sounds like a good combination, but obviously webOS would have to be ported or they'd need two processors to support the transition between laptop and tablet mode.
    Lenovo's U1 actually has two processors in the concept. One is a Snapdragon located in the tablet for Android and the other is an x86 processor located in the base for running Windows.

The U1 looks interesting and hopefully that ends up as a new ultralight/tablet option and not another netbook/tablet.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 02/07/2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Let's keep it on topic and civil, please.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    I looked at this again today to see if this would be something for me. Here are a few points:

1. This is full laptop/netbook, even though lower powered.
    2. It has a hard drive, not solid state.
    3. Battery is only between 3 and 4 hours, more toward 3 hours.
    4. Runs full windows 7 home premium, which is to much for a small device.
    5. One would need to get antivirus software.
    6. Need to defrag etc the hard drive to keep it running smooth.
    7. Dock is $99.99 EXTRA.
    8. External cd drive is $79.99 EXTRA.
    9. Most windows applications are not built for touch, thus touch interface would fail.
    10. When would the flip mechanism break?

These all made me say "no" to this. NOT bashing the device, but I don't need a full laptop and bloated os.
    I was talking about putting WebOS on it, so saying no b/c it has W7 is a mute point.
    That one point is moot, but still running a bulky device, with a hard drive, etc.

Now if you mean the same FORM FACTOR and then HP make it stream liked and had all the gut of the normal 10 inch tablet, just a keyboard to, then I could see that. Just my luck over time, the "flip" mechanism would break.
    That form factor could work (obviously it would be a lot slimmer without a hard drive etc) but I think they would be better off doing a pure tablet with a docking station keyboard as an optional extra. You could make it so the keyboard provided a way to hold the screen in posion and fold over for convenient storage, you could even add a load of additional ports (full size USBs, HDMI, VGA, RJ45 etc) in the keyboard section. When you want to run and go you just grab the screen section and are away.

This would be less prone to complex hinge failure and would avoid the need to create two versions of the tablet for different markets.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast