Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is probably off by a long shot, but i've got a feeling that the Topaz will work with some sort of stylus input.

I was at the DMV getting a replacement license today. After hours of waiting and a lunch break wasted, the I was asked to sign some documents, electronically. The device; an electric signature pad. The maker; Topaz Systems.

Coincidence? I think not!

Personally, i'd like to have the option of using a VKB or stylus. If the handwriting recognition software is good enough, I'd say a stylus would be ideal. Hold the pad in one hand, write with the other.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I think you are wrong, everything is touch today and the day of the stylus is gone.

Topaz might be the manufacturer of the signature device but has no relation to the new pad coming out. The other one is named Opal. Topaz, Opal - I see a trend there.
    Dan
    A lot of us have stated that we would buy a capacitive touch screen device that you could also use as as a stylus. If done well, it would be awesome.

I really don't want to take notes on a touch keyboard, I'd rather use a stylus.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    I think you are wrong, everything is touch today and the day of the stylus is gone.

Topaz might be the manufacturer of the signature device but has no relation to the new pad coming out. The other one is named Opal. Topaz, Opal - I see a trend there.
    i don't think the stylus will be mandatory, just that the pad will work with a stylus. i'm saying perhaps they chose the codename Topaz as a nod to this company, then went with Opal because they wanted to continue with using gems for codenames the way android uses deserts.

as far as mobile devices are concerned, the stylus has never seen its true potential. previously, it was only ever used because the resistive screens on our devices were too small. Now that the screens are larger. the stylus can be used for more creative purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    This is probably off by a long shot, but i've got a feeling that the Topaz will work with some sort of stylus input.

I was at the DMV getting a replacement license today. After hours of waiting and a lunch break wasted, the I was asked to sign some documents, electronically. The device; an electric signature pad. The maker; Topaz Systems.

Personally, i'd like to have the option of using a VKB or stylus. If the handwriting recognition software is good enough, I'd say a stylus would be ideal. Hold the pad in one hand, write with the other.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I could see some promise... I didn't do any research... but why not have a different "input" mode for signing documents. It IS a corporate solution for documents...
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    There was a "HP Pavilion Topaz" but it's a super old system.
    Maybe people forgot that they want to reinvent it?
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    multi-touch screens need a stylus the size of a grape to work... And you can buy that sort of stylus for iPad/iPhone now. Othe than fingerprints, I don't see the benefit. It's too wide to create precision, and tablets aren't designed for drawing like you have a sharp #2 pencil...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    multi-touch screens need a stylus the size of a grape to work... And you can buy that sort of stylus for iPad/iPhone now. Othe than fingerprints, I don't see the benefit. It's too wide to create precision, and tablets aren't designed for drawing like you have a sharp #2 pencil...
    think about new technology
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    I was kinda hoping for this too. I don't draw, or rarely write, but as someone who likes his hardware keyboard, I wouldn't mind having a stylus to write things as a keyboard of any kind can feel restricting.

However, for the business side of it it would be wonderful. For applications like you're talking about, as in signatures and writing out electronic forms would be very cool. Think about the HP Slate promo. Easy way to tap into that corporate market. Need the doc to sign off for a nurse? Have her bring the tablet to him to sign.

If it does happen, I think there will be a lot more interested people. Man, if I had one in college, I would have been a lot more organized with my notes. And saved a hell of a lot of trees with the 3ft high stack of notebooks I own.
    Not all Multi touch capacitive screen tablets require a stylus the size of a grape. Add N-Trig technology to the multi touch capacitive screen and you have the choice of using your fingers, or using a stylus with a tip the same size as the tip on a ball point pen. This technology is useful for handwriting, taking notes, etc,and for drawing or creating artwork.

Another thing N-Trig technology adds to the touch interface is pressure recognition. Press the pen a little harder on the screen while writing and the line becomes thicker. Barely touch the screen with the tip while writing or drawing and the line becomes thinner.
    Examples of N-Trig technology can be found on several Tablets already on the market:

HP Slate 500
    Fujitsu T580
    HP Touchsmart TX2

Wacom digitizer equipped Multi touch capacitive screen tablets also perform similarly:
    Azus EP121 is one example.

TTB

P.S. The iPad and most Android tablets do NOT have this technology, so they do require use of a stylus with a tip the size of a grape!
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 02/04/2011 at 05:32 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    The maker; Topaz Systems.

Yes, I'm sure they told HP 'Feel free to use our copyrighted company name! Have a blast!'
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    where do you get this idea from? how do you know how the tablets are designed? why would they need a stylus the size of a grape. there's no reason a device can't have multitouch and use a normal sized stylus, ask wacom...

the only reason you need a large stylus for idevices is because it wasn't developed with the stylus in mind at all...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Yes, I'm sure they told HP 'Feel free to use our copyrighted company name! Have a blast!'
    its a codename, so there's no copywrite issue...
    Ain't gonna happen. Too much room for failure. HP needs an instant hit, not some new spin on handwriting recognition which is SO easy to get wrong they would never risk the return of WebOS on it.

Nice feature as an add-on, but not a major selling point.
    I would love it if it were executed flawlessly. I read an article on Engadget a few days ago that HP is releasing some educational products in March and one of them is a wireless writing tab so you can move around the room while writing notes and it appearing on your computer/LCD projector. If I could do that with my PalmPad it'd be awesome!
    The stylus interface is separate from the touch interface. HP already do laptops with both touch input and Wacom stylus input. I can definitely see it as an option for a "high end" tablet.

Don't see HP naming a device after a supplier's business name though.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The stylus interface is separate from the touch interface. HP already do laptops with both touch input and Wacom stylus input. I can definitely see it as an option for a "high end" tablet.

Don't see HP naming a device after a supplier's business name though.
    They could easily license the name, if there's legality involved. Apple licenses iOS as it's trademarked by Cisco.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Wasn't there a rumor on BGR or somewhere that the PalmPad would ship with a Wacom pen layer? HP does that with their convertible laptop/tablets, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Ain't gonna happen. Too much room for failure. HP needs an instant hit, not some new spin on handwriting recognition which is SO easy to get wrong they would never risk the return of WebOS on it.

Nice feature as an add-on, but not a major selling point.
    A tablet with handwriting recognition is something that HP has been trying to make marketable for years.
    having an ipad (which i love) I want an stylus optional or not
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast