1.    #1  
    The more I think of the future, the more I realize virtually everything will be "smart" and "connected." As I contemplate where a tablet fits in to that world, I think ecosystem is even a somewhat limited word, but it's what we've got.

In my ideal ecosystem, I would have the following.

• Secure access to work files from the network (through cloud or other services)
    • WebOS-like integrated email from multiple IMAP accounts with local storage on work and home PCs available and backed up on cloud-like services
    • Customizable home screens for each computing device (TV, Laptop, Tablet, Fridge) that seamlessly sync the customizable information with the ability to open relevant apps to dig deeper
    • The ability to begin any project from one device and continue on the next as I move throughout the day
    • WebOS calendar linked to multiple calendars and linked to services based on event type (ecards for birthdays, directions, bus schedules, notepad for meeting notes, etc.)
    • HOME AUTOMATION through the cloud. This would include tracking/communicating with the house, the cars, the kids in a big brother kinda way. The govt shouldn't have all the fun

What does your ecosystem need?
    I really hope the webos devices come with a e mail pairing app for the tablet and the smartphone and other services like my office documents., and with the cloud option storage., and continue working in one device or another.

With HD TV dock or HDMI port to watch my tablet or smartphone content on my HD TV

Home Automation : when I am IN the house or out the house. If I am in, my phone or tablet with a remote control app even for TV.

If I am out with the cloud service.
    I want my tablet, computer and phone to be totally synced with my Home Automation and Kinect. I want the Kinect to read the expression and body language as I walk through the courtyard and to start playing appropriate music depending on the day and my mood.
    Monday, if I look stressed it plays some Ambient Eco music, the fountain and lights turn on and the lights in the house dim. If it is Friday, and my calendar shows people coming over or a night out, some pump up Flo rida, Pitbull or Eminem comes on, and my bar illuminates. I do a Kinect hand swiped to the right(in the air) if I want a new song, swipe to the left to change genres. I want the player piano and jukebox to be integrated as well.

My phone and tablet lets me know whats going on as far as the calendar and gives me view of my home when I am away, notifies me when someone walks through my gate, the garage door opens or if water is detected on the floor of my man cave. It also monitors the weather at home, and snow level at the vacation house.

I need an "Eureka-esk" voice (actually I have the voice now, don't use it, but wld like it integrated) in my house that I can converse that will let me know when the mail has arrived or the dryer is done and clothes ready to be hung. All my files are in the cloud, and can be accessed by my HTPC, my desktop, notebook, tablet and phone.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I want my tablet, computer and phone to be totally synced with my Home Automation and Kinect. I want the Kinect to read the expression and body language as I walk through the courtyard and to start playing appropriate music depending on the day and my mood.
    Earlier today, I read an article about how Kinect is the Big Brother application of the millenia. The govt will be able to see into your house, tell what you're doing and even identify objects. Be careful out there.

Glad I'm not the only one looking for usable home automation.
    I was really hope that this year would be the year that home automation would become big. But now I don't think that is going to happen. The industry really needs to gather around one standard if they want to see real growth.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Earlier today, I read an article about how Kinect is the Big Brother application of the millenia. The govt will be able to see into your house, tell what you're doing and even identify objects. Be careful out there.

Glad I'm not the only one looking for usable home automation.
    LOL. That gave me a good laugh.

I'm not looking for a whole lot... Just the simple sync win my phone - calendar, email, apps.

However, I would be cool with being able to access my media library stored on my HTPC. Also being able to control my HTPC through XBMC on my tablet. Or any other media software.

I'll let HP tell me the options out of the box, then we'll go from there.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Synchronization over multiple devices is the foundation for my dream system. The problem is, what I have in mind requires ubiquitous, high-speed data connectivity without respect to where you happen to be. I do not want to move from network to network. I want one, master network that is always on everywhere. Once we have that, truly amazing things are possible.
    I think there is a lot of room for an ecosystem to wow us with things we haven't thought about yet.

One of the things I definitely don't want is a closed ecosystem. I want whatever is out there to be expandable so that getting devices in the ecosystem has definite benefits, but using devices outside the ecosystem still works. For example, make the cloud storage accessible via the web so I can hit it from my Mac, while making it as seamless as possible for webOS devices so I don't even have to think about it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I am a big fan of NAS (network access storage) but I am not a big fan of the NAS software I've used.

I would love HP webos to develop a zumo drive type
    http://m.precentral.net/zumodrive

That would create a true and locally stored document cloud. Working on your desktop get a call continue where you left off on your netbook on the train.

With you computer as a server (or maybe your printer) since it is already networked why not.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Monday, if I look stressed it plays some Ambient Eco music, the fountain and lights turn on and the lights in the house dim. If it is Friday, and my calendar shows people coming over or a night out, some pump up Flo rida, Pitbull or Eminem comes on, and my bar illuminates. I do a Kinect hand swiped to the right(in the air) if I want a new song, swipe to the left to change genres. I want the player piano and jukebox to be integrated as well.

My phone and tablet lets me know whats going on as far as the calendar and gives me view of my home when I am away, notifies me when someone walks through my gate, the garage door opens or if water is detected on the floor of my man cave. It also monitors the weather at home, and snow level at the vacation house.

I need an "Eureka-esk" voice (actually I have the voice now, don't use it, but wld like it integrated) in my house that I can converse that will let me know when the mail has arrived or the dryer is done and clothes ready to be hung. All my files are in the cloud, and can be accessed by my HTPC, my desktop, notebook, tablet and phone.
    EPIC! lol

i also thought the idea of kinect would play very nicely with webOS! lol.
    I want to drag and drop (or right-click / save-as) files to a sort of network drive on my desktop computer (say Z: ), whip out my phone, and use the file. I want to save a file to Z: when browsing around with my phone, pull out my tablet, and use the file for better legibility.

I want to update my music library on my main computer, adding those mp3s I just ripped, then go to work, put on my headphones and listen to the mp3s on the bus. I want to be able to buy mp3s on my phone, come home, and listen to them on my computer's audio system because they're already in my library.

I want my (HP) phone to see my friend's (HP) phone when he's sitting in the same room with me so I can send him a file.

I want to buy an astronomy app on my phone at work and use it on my tablet to tell me what that constellation is called when I sit on my balcony at night and my phone is stoned. If my friend calls, I want to take the call on my tablet instead of outright missing it or having to get up and fetch the phone.

I want a 3G-and-or-wifi-equipped (and password-protected) USB key that I can take with me to my friend's place. I want my Z: drive to be "on" that key when I slip it into his computer.

And just because this is PreCentral: I want to wake up in the morning, pull up an app, and tell my webOS toaster to make my breakfast while I get up and shower.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 02/02/2011 at 01:42 AM.

All my devices speaking & syncing directly with all my devices, and have ALL my resources in all devices, online (streaming, sync, virtual storage) or offline (streaming can be save locally, some directory sync local and virtual drives)...

But in smaller scale, if the H/Palm create a pim desktop manager simple with multisync (like Palm Desktop syncing with cloud using synergy & offline with WebOS devices) and a REALLY LIGHT pim manager online (using the brownser with the Palm Desktop with Synergy interface, for example), is enough to me... for now, of course!!

Today, I have Evernote, zumodrive, dropbox and goaruna... and all is bad, because I cannot use when I'm out of internet. Serious, is bad to me...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I am mostly excited about the Touchstone dock and the posibility to turn the phone and tablet into a media centre. I am hoping that WebOS can be viewed on a TV screen and that the bluetooth keyboard can be used with it as well. I guess the tablet will work as the pointing device although this is where Kinnect would shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I want a 3G-and-or-wifi-equipped (and password-protected) USB key that I can take with me to my friend's place. I want my Z: drive to be "on" that key when I slip it into his computer.
    This is a really cool idea and one I could really buy into. It could be used to supply WiFi internet to the device through a shared internet connection too.
    I guess first I need a home network! I'm pretty far behind the curve, in fact, I'm struggling now to figure out how to have media content easily accessible at my home

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...43#post2845943

But if I did have a decent network of devices at home, I would be excited to see how webOS could interconnect them all.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
    I am a big fan of NAS (network access storage) but I am not a big fan of the NAS software I've used.

I would love HP webos to develop a zumo drive type
    http://m.precentral.net/zumodrive

That would create a true and locally stored document cloud. Working on your desktop get a call continue where you left off on your netbook on the train.

With you computer as a server (or maybe your printer) since it is already networked why not.

HP is already partnered with Zumo. Look up HP Cloud Drive. They come with the HP Mini's and will likely hit the tablets.

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Well since that is covered bring back the IR transmittor/ receiver. I miss being able to easily send contacts to fellow Palm IIIXE users. Or to play monopoly with my friend sitting next to me...

My request has nothing to do with me being at a bar that had American Idle on ever f'ing TV!!!!

In 2001 I could have changed the channel in 20 seconds and no one would have been wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    HP is already partnered with Zumo. Look up HP Cloud Drive. They come with the HP Mini's and will likely hit the tablets.

You can see: HP CloudDrive - Enjoy your media and documents from every device

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
    Well since that is covered bring back the IR transmittor/ receiver. I miss being able to easily send contacts to fellow Palm IIIXE users. Or to play monopoly with my friend sitting next to me...

My request has nothing to do with me being at a bar that had American Idle on ever f'ing TV!!!!

In 2001 I could have changed the channel in 20 seconds and no one would have been wiser.

You should go to another bar then. My friend almost got into a fight with some drunken ***** who accused him of changing the channel. Lol.

20.    #20  
    Any ideas on using WebOS in the car as well as OS for Home automation systems with touchscreen interfaces?

I definitely like the wifi direct idea after reading up on wikipedia

Also thinking about car alarm applications. My current alarm will page me, but there should be an app to monitor status, GPS location and other stats regarding the car.