1.    #1  
    So you can, right this second, buy a Viewsonic G-Tab 9" Tablet for $379. My coworker just bought one yesterday (apparently they suck out of the box but are easily made awesome with a custom rom).

This tablet has a Tegra 2 Cortex A9 Dual Core CPU, and 512 megs of ram.

The rumored specs of the Topaz is a Cortex A8 Dual core, and 512 megs of ram.

Who cares if the iPad is $499?
    The real question is: does HP have any business charging more than $400 MSRP for the Topaz? Especially when the market is about to be flooded with Cortex A9 Dual Core tablets.
  2.    #2  
    Perhaps an equally important question is whether or not the Topaz will come with the touchstone dock or will it be sold separately?
    Wow, Motorola's Xoom Better Be REALLY Good For $800 (MMI, VZW, GOOG, AAPL)

Android Central has posted a list of minimum advertised prices for some Android products on Verizon, and the Motorola Xoom tablet is listed at $799, presumably without a wireless contract..

That's $70 more than the closest equivalent iPad, the 32GB 3G version.

I'll bid $425, Bob.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Perhaps an equally important question is whether or not the Topaz will come with the touchstone dock or will it be sold separately?
    I have to agree. Another thread was talking about the tablet being a loss-leader. The arguement was "what is it leading?" I would say the touchstone is a great answer to this question. I don't know about anyone else, but I have probably spent about 150 on touchstones (and other things like car chargers and cables) for my Palm phones.
    I doubt HP will try to undercut Apple on price. Instead they're going to say that this is a more "premium" device based on the fact that it's almost identical hardware, but they throw in a bunch of cloud services, "tap-to-share" and such. Pricing it lower than the ipad would make it seem like they're making up for a deficiency. At best, it'll match the ipads' pricing.

Look at the summer of 2008 when netbooks were becoming super popular. You could find plenty of netbooks in the sub-$300 range, but the HP mini was always sold for $500+.

My prediction: $599 (for the base model - 16gb, wifi-only)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    I have to agree. Another thread was talking about the tablet being a loss-leader. The arguement was "what is it leading?" I would say the touchstone is a great answer to this question. I don't know about anyone else, but I have probably spent about 150 on touchstones (and other things like car chargers and cables) for my Palm phones.
    I have 3 touchstones, have paid approximately $50 total for the three (one came with extra wall plug and usb cable, another came with Verizon car charger and Palm case). I wouldn't have gotten my first one if it wasn't a deal (at Radio Shack after they started selling off Palm accessories). Bought car lighter charger (Palm Pre/Pixi version) for $11, extra wall plug and cable for $6, extra battery for $3, 2 sets extra earphones (again Palm) for $5 total. I can't believe the deals I got, and only spent $75 or so...for equipment worth probably $200. So you could say those were 'loss leader' sales, I got a great deal, but I'm also invested in the device even more strongly. Hopefully, we are all happy!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

You see my point though. If HP were to put the price tag of the touchstone V2 at $150, would you buy it? I would be grumpy, but I probably still would
    If it is 500 or more, it will be tough for me to justify a purchase
  9.    #9  
    I simply don't see them going $500+ and NOT including the touchstone. Especially when it sounds like many of the new unique features it will have are dependent on the touchstone.
    500+ without the apps needed you put me very very hard pressed to buy it... but if it's 400 i'll be buying 2 maybe even 3
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    my hope <$450
    my fear $599

still,i wil wait for the Opal. Topas is too big to carry around, especially when there is no chane that it can replace my lappy.
    I guess $399-499 for Topaz, and 50 for the new touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    I guess $399-499 for Topaz, and 50 for the new touchstone.
    Nah, surely not. I paid about $50 for the original touchstone. This is more of a docking station, supporting more than just charge. I think it has inbuilt WiFi and Bluetooth. I say $100 min for the touchstone V2.
    The new Atrix dock is $60 isn't it?
    Two blue M&M's, a yellow one, a carrot, and a deck of cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Two blue M&M's, a yellow one, a carrot, and a deck of cards.
    So they lowered it??? They where askin that plus 6 whole coffee beans, a bale of hay and a cue ball.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If it doesn't compete with the iPad webs is in for some hurt. Playbook will be under $500 from rumors.
    hopefully cheaper then the competition