Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had the pre, went to android then back to the pixi. Love webos and hate android. Not going to get into a long discussion about the the two os's, BUT the only thing the was a kick in the teeth coming back to webos was the lack of apps and support. Now I know webos is under 10% of the market, that is fine, but the lack of an amazon app, imdb app etc was kind like "well ****!".

On the the webos tablet, this CAN'T happen at least not the in the huge difference in the phone market. I know you can't have all the android and ios apps, but major apps like amazon, ebay, imdb, banking, entertainment, magazines and such need to be there. So the question: will the software be there? I am very happy back on webos on my mobile side and will stick with it, but if I am to get myself a tablet I don't want to sit there and not have things I want and see other tablets do, at least mainstream apps, you know? This is the only nagging "voice" in the back of my head about the webos tablet. I am perfectly happy with the specs on the leak (even the resolution). I can't wait for Feb 9th and if hp shows they have the software support, then my worry is moot. Anybody else feel this way?
    I do. While it will be great to have decent hardware finally, I'm more concerned with the severe lack of apps in the App Catalog...

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, it is like you get the webos tablet home and go "hot damn" and then look online to see nothing to get other than a few "namebrand" apps and you have a sinking feeling in you gut.......
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    I had the pre, went to android then back to the pixi. Love webos and hate android. Not going to get into a long discussion about the the two os's, BUT the only thing the was a kick in the teeth coming back to webos was the lack of apps and support. Now I know webos is under 10% of the market, that is fine, but the lack of an amazon app, imdb app etc was kind like "well ****!".

On the the webos tablet, this CAN'T happen at least not the in the huge difference in the phone market. I know you can't have all the android and ios apps, but major apps like amazon, ebay, imdb, banking, entertainment, magazines and such need to be there. So the question: will the software be there? I am very happy back on webos on my mobile side and will stick with it, but if I am to get myself a tablet I don't want to sit there and not have things I want and see other tablets do, at least mainstream apps, you know? This is the only nagging "voice" in the back of my head about the webos tablet. I am perfectly happy with the specs on the leak (even the resolution). I can't wait for Feb 9th and if hp shows they have the software support, then my worry is moot. Anybody else feel this way?
    I have to agree with you 100%, but I think HP knows this. They needs to have the apps that that iPad has at launch, like Netflix, to seriously compete. They would be fools to not have the app support at launch because consumers could just go buy an iPad, or wait for the iPad2.

Anyway, if there is any company in the world that can convince developers to create apps BEFORE there is a large base of consumers using a product, it has to be HP. They are the largest tech company in the world. I know if they came knocking at my door asking for something, I'd listen.

On the contrary, if Palm had come to me last year asking for something, I may have had to reply with "nobody's home but us chickens."

HP's got the muscle, they just have to flex it.
  5.    #5  
    Very good point, and I bet Palm was turned down or ignore many times as HP may not.
    Two problems: developers and APIs. I hope HP-Palm has the APIs fixed, though I've heard some troubling comments about the mic and camera APIs (that they don't allow low-level access, which would allow interesting signal processing to occur). Developers is easy if HP-Palm is willing to part with a bunch of cash. Pay developers to develop, and they will. I don't know if they are going to do that or not, but it sure would be nice. Gotta give them all the tools though. There are still some things that can't be done on webOS because of lack of APIs.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    The tablet is supposed to come with WebOS 2.51 let's hope all the api's are there...
    Treo 600 650 700p 800w Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    Very good point, and I bet Palm was turned down or ignore many times as HP may not.
    HP should've worked with big name app developing company few months before it releases. So they have many useful title ready to go by the time PalmPad is on the market. I think Apps are even more critical than smartphone. We are spending good amount of money but if it just do handful of stuffs, this will become very expensive useless web browser.

I have iPad. Initial, I just wanted to have tablet toy. And iPad has good resell value, so I wasn't afraid to test drive, if I don't like it, I can always sell it on craigslist with list lost. However, now I really love it. I can't live without it. I go out every where with iPad. Now I have iSpot, i can use my iPad with 4G speed. It has more applications than my current pc, and they are all very useful and I use it all the time.
    I hope something changes with the app situation for webOS. Palm used to have 1000's upon 1000's of apps in the glory days. It seems that all those developers went to iOS, as well they should have, since PALM did nothing for them for so long.

But can HP get any of that brain-share back? I hope so, I would love to get a Palm Pad, but I won't buy a beta product again.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    While I don't know what will come at the beginnen, I expect Enyo to become a wonderland for developers as I hope it will enable devs to create ONE app for all different sizes of screens.

This would be a huge benefit over the other platforms, as you need special apps for the higher resolution screens on them.

So I think it is - again - much more easy to develop for webOS than for other platforms!
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    While I don't know what will come at the beginnen, I expect Enyo to become a wonderland for developers as I hope it will enable devs to create ONE app for all different sizes of screens.
    Devs don't want a wonderland - they want a solid OS platform with adequate (and differentiating) APIs and a market potential worthy of their invested time.

So I think it is - again - much more easy to develop for webOS than for other platforms!
    Yet developers still tend to stay away in droves.

This would be a huge benefit over the other platforms, as you need special apps for the higher resolution screens on them.

Even if it's little easier, it still time cost alot of money to develope good quality apps. If they don't think they will get a good return on their investment, it doesn't matter what kind of tools they get, they won't develop or waste their time.
    I think the only questions that matter are "Will the excitement be there?" and "Will HP sustain it?"

No one can answer either one definitively right now, but they are the only two that matter when it comes to success for this platform. Without excitement, you can have a giant backing you (Microsoft), spend months working with and outright paying off developers (WP7), giving them great development tools and APIs (Visual Studio, XNA, etc.) paired with current big screen speedy hardware and a smooth UI and STILL not make a huge impact.

So if HP wants sustained, organic app development like Android and iOS, it has to generate and sustain excitement. That means lots of sales, and announcing each plateau you reach. That means constant updates and new features added. That means regularly refreshing hardware and being available on every carrier at every price point. That means basically doing the opposite of what Palm did.
    i really hope the apps are there. I would think HP would use their clout to form secret partnerships/deals with the most popular app development companies and make sure they have a decent line up of apps out of the gate.
    I'm BACK!!!
    Treo 650 -> Treo 755p-> iPhone 3g -> Palm Pre
    I think there will be a few key applications at launch (Netflix, for example) that will give most a glimmer of hope and another "honeymoon period" for many, but after that excitement dies off in a few weeks, I see webOS continuing to have the same developers problem that exist today.

I could be wrong, I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see a huge rush of developers happening anytime soon, even if this new device is the greatest thing since ... well, you get the idea.

The only thing I can see helping webOS in the long run, in regards to developer support is a lineup of handsets that a large market will soon become interested in. Devices that also interest developers themselves.

As most iOS developers will tell you, they develop for the platform because it is their platform of choice.

I really hope HP doesn't release a tablet and attempt to sell the thing based on its 'multitasking capabilities' alone. That's not what consumers want.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    What I find slightly odd is that a recent survey seems to show that interest in developing for a WebOS tablet has declined the nearer we get to Feb 9th...

I'll try and find it...
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    If they can get good integration with Amazon: Music, movies, TV, streaming all in one app that would great for HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What I find slightly odd is that a recent survey seems to show that interest in developing for a WebOS tablet has declined the nearer we get to Feb 9th...

I'll try and find it...
    That's not surprising, really. Why should there be an increase in developer interest? As far as the platform itself goes (webOS), there has been not been any big pushes to capture more developers.

I'm sure HP has worked some deals with larger companies (Netflix, etc) but they should have pushed out the SDK a while back to bring on more indie developers.

They may still, if they don't plan on releasing until >= April which would give developers a few months.
    I thought I read or heard some where that they will have 6,000 apps at launch... I'm not sure if that's in addition to or just adding to the app catalog. But remember they have yet to release any HP Labs apps yet. So there are going to be new and good apps.
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Quote Originally Posted by enynite View Post
    i really hope the apps are there. I would think HP would use their clout to form secret partnerships/deals with the most popular app development companies and make sure they have a decent line up of apps out of the gate.
    Secret partnerships? Deals with the most popular companies? wOS 2 is already out. Why would they need secret partnerships and closed deals with elite companies? Why didn't they unleash the SDK to all of the excited developers if they have it ready? I don't see what this strategy gains them.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast