Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's why porting software is important, it shows current developers that they can add value to their existing portfolios easily.
    Counterintuitively, that is exactly the wrong message for good developers. Good developers don't care about easy ports; they care about great tools and an exciting platform. If you want the not so good developers, by all means, emphasize how quick and easy it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    On ports, like said above there needs to be alot of ports till webos catches up. THEN developers can focus on android, webos, ios etc etc. at the same time.
    There's a common misunderstanding on these boards that iOS and Android apps are easily portable due to the PDK. That's not true, at all. The only applications that are portable (in terms of ease) are games.

Other types of applications are platform-specific due to the platforms framework(s).

In other words, for a developer/company to "port" an app from iOS/Android to webOS, it takes a complete rewrite (generally speaking, there may be parts here and there that can be used, but for the most, it requires a rewrite).
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Counterintuitively, that is exactly the wrong message for good developers. Good developers don't care about easy ports; they care about great tools and an exciting platform. If you want the not so good developers, by all means, emphasize how quick and easy it is.
    Again, you're basing this on what? It's "counterintuitive"? How so? How is it counterintuitive to tell a developer (when it's true, of course) that you can take an existing app that you spent months on, and in three days port it to a platform that's got a couple million users hungry for apps.

Sorry, this sounds very much like more of the "you can't do it because your HP/Palm and someone else already owns the market" nonsense.
    Show the new and interesting things that can be done on the platform. Give up on the Shazam envy and build something even better.
    does anyone know if the reason there's no shazam or soundhound or similar service related to the fact that we don't have voice commands too? Like i've heard people mention microphone apis but as i think about it wouldn't a service like that have to be able to not just take the sound but analyze it and recognize it? Or maybe i'm off track. I truly don't know how these things work. just curious.
  5.    #105  
    No platform can ever catch up based on ports. It is like a child catching up to his fathers age. The father has to stop aging before the child can catch up.

iOS is not sitting still. You can't port apps faster than they are coming online to the app store. If you do not focus on the uniqueness of your platform up front, you have already lost the platform war. There was probably a thousand new apps posted to the iOS app store in the time it took me to write this post. Forget about catching up.

Show the new and interesting things that can be done on the platform. Give up on the Shazam envy and build something even better. When you can establish why your platform is worth writing for in the first place, you will never again have to beg a developer to port an app.
    Doesn't work that way. Users, normal and non techie users, see Shazam and WANT Shazam, not a better app, on their device because the iphone, android, blackberry etc has it. Demand is there, and thus ports have to be done at least for popular software.

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    There's a common misunderstanding on these boards that iOS and Android apps are easily portable due to the PDK. That's not true, at all. The only applications that are portable (in terms of ease) are games.

Other types of applications are platform-specific due to the platforms framework(s).

In other words, for a developer/company to "port" an app from iOS/Android to webOS, it takes a complete rewrite (generally speaking, there may be parts here and there that can be used, but for the most, it requires a rewrite).
    Don't put words in my mouth, I never said it was easy did I? NO. Still like I just said to dandbj13 that ports is needed for highly popular or reognized apps. Where did you get games are easy to port? Look at the PS3 and XBOX360. Valve was stated that ported was NOT viable to them due to the work, thus it is hard to port all software.

Porting is needed, just the plain simple truth. At least port well known apps and then sneak in the other apps that do the same thing better. If you come to the tablet table and have no name brand apps/well known apps, even if your apps kick the others name brand apps *****, it will look bad.
    i hope so
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456