Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    This is an excellent scenario. I know this because it's what we have at my office (to include desk phone integration with all that including remote, telecommuter desk phones). Having a single, goto (turnkey?) source for this capability would be outstanding and HP is the kind of company that could pull it off. It's like BES for the 21st century.
    Heck they do that now. If you need a network setup through their business division they will configure computer, servers, switches the whole 9 yards. They will even build it and ship it out.
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    check this comment out... hilarious!

"mytharak Says:
    January 31st, 2011 at 10:00 pm
    Where are all these webOS fans coming from? I didnít think that many existed."

we come out the wood works!
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
  3.    #83  
    Good my topic is scrubbed. Playbook and topaz are my picks and now I await feb 9th. I am thinking hp will have a great lineup and if they have the major apps then a great 10 inch webs tablet will kick ***. I do hope the interface isn't a 100% phone copy but optimized.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I can tell you who will definitely be there on Feb 9 will be a software developer from EA or Gameloft or something that will demonstrate a port of one of their app on the webOS tablet and say that it took them only three days to do it.
    Excellent. It's good to see folks coming around to believe that not only will there be some big name developers, but they will talk about the ease of development.
    They don't need people up there talking about ports. A platform based on ports is, by the very nature of ports, an afterthought. They need first-party developers talking about how excited they are about the new platform, and how they were thrilled to develop their app from the ground up, to take advantage of all the exclusive features of the platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Excellent. It's good to see folks coming around to believe that not only will there be some big name developers, but they will talk about the ease of development.
    I'd rather hear them talk about the robustness of the tools and the ease of creating good games FOR the platform, not ports. Something akin to Microsoft's XNA Game Studio.

I just don't see things changing with two ecosystems: 1) Great looking iOS game ports from major studios 2)Hodge podge of no-name native apps.
    I think they absolutely have to talk about ports from other platforms - that's what people want. I'm guessing they will reveal tighter integration with HP ePrint, however, that isn't unique. iOS already does this.

They have to talk about 3rd party software that takes advantage of something unique about webOS that is also compelling enough to make the user want to buy a webOS tablet over the available competition. Something that provides tangible unique functionality not found on other tablet platforms.
    Of course, there are some big names like Kindle that will absolutely be a part of the presentation. But I don't consider these "ports" per se. They're just finally bringing some bigger names aboard.

But that should be balanced and sharing equal time with some flashy new apps where the developers can come out and not talk about "ease of use" (was a non-starter argument last time. Will be this time as well) but of the great tools, hardware, and support they got. I wouldn't count on seeing this necessarily at the Feb.9 event, but they need to make it an integral part of WebOS promotion going forward.
    UG, I know people think they want ports, but that is not a good sign of a healthy platform. What people really want are top of the line apps natively coded for the device they just paid $500 for.

Right now, all the cool apps are built for iOS with everything else as secondary. That doesn't mean the other platforms will not eventually get some form of the same app. There is no reason why those developers would not build natively for wOS, and make every other platform the port. It all depends on what platform is most compelling to the developer.

There are some things that are written exclusively for Android because they wouldn't make sense on any other platform. wOS needs to inspirer, with unique hardware and software, the kind of apps that only make sense on that platform. That is not impossible. That is why iOS apps exploded. There was nothing out there quite like the iPhone. It needs to be said that there is nothing out there quite like the hPad. The software platform builds from there.
    Perhaps they will bring back one or more of these partners from 2009:

Partners include Facebook, Pandora, Google, Amazon (MP3 store?), and TeleNav (GPS navigation support!). All apps are developed in CSS, HTML and Javascript. Pandora told Palm it took only 3 days to get their application on the new OS.
    Those apps already exist. Why would they need to rewrite them?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    They don't need people up there talking about ports. A platform based on ports is, by the very nature of ports, an afterthought. They need first-party developers talking about how excited they are about the new platform, and how they were thrilled to develop their app from the ground up, to take advantage of all the exclusive features of the platform.
    Actually, they need both. No one is going to make a living off writing exclusively for WebOS right off the bat. If they count on only those developers, there will be almost no software. That's why porting software is important, it shows current developers that they can add value to their existing portfolios easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    This is an excellent scenario. I know this because it's what we have at my office (to include desk phone integration with all that including remote, telecommuter desk phones). Having a single, goto (turnkey?) source for this capability would be outstanding and HP is the kind of company that could pull it off. It's like BES for the 21st century.
    it is a great scenario but the software still needs to be there and needs the strings let loose. For example:

great integration, but can I edit a document?

great, exchange support! Can I invite someone to a meeting, view another calendar, or book a resource?

if HP is going to leverage their corporate presence to create an ecosystem of servers, computers,tabs and phones then they all need to be enterprise grade, not 'almost' enterprise grade.
    They aren't written for a tablet. While they may work blown-up they will pale in comparison to tablet-specific version of apps. That's pretty much the standard right now or are we going to rehash the notion that users should expect to wait a year for tablet webOS to be where tablet iOS is is today.
    No need to rehash, but there is a marketedly differen approach to programming for other devices, and programming for WebOS. Just as web based apps don't have to be completely rewritten for different resolutions, or even different OS's, the nature of WebOS apps will make them extremely easy to modify.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    it is a great scenario but the software still needs to be there and needs the strings let loose. For example:

great integration, but can I edit a document? Yup

great, exchange support! Can I invite someone to a meeting, view another calendar, or book a resource? Yup - and you can do it without exchange support.

if HP is going to leverage their corporate presence to create an ecosystem of servers, computers,tabs and phones then they all need to be enterprise grade, not 'almost' enterprise grade.
    You hit the nail on the head. Those are all important capabilities to a truly integrating service.
    I think this is complete spin. While I think it's definitely feasible to develop a UI that will look optimal on both phones and tablets - in iOS they are called universal apps - that doesn't mean that apps that were developed for the phone UI on an older SDK magically look like they belong on a tablet without being significantly modified. Multiple-screen user interfaces simply don't rearrange themselves to fit on one screen unless, perhaps, your phone UI is one big scrolling screen.

And, anything that is PDK, of course, will have to be rewritten because webOS doesn't control the UI. My prediction - no so great looking user interfaces and a lot of waiting to see if the developer is going to update the app for the tablet - which is a problem if the developer has moved-on or isn't as interested as they were a year ago.

The iPhone Bank of America app - from the largest bank in the US - is still not optimized for the iPad. It's been a year. They are a big bank. There have been 16 million iPads sold and they still haven't gotten around to it. I'm sure it's because it's a bank and banks are slow. Chase and Discover haven't updated theirs either.
    Maybe its because they consider it a tablet. And why have a simple bank app on a tablet? Use the browser?

Why Facebook Still Doesn’t Have An iPad App
    I think this is complete spin...
    Of course, you're entitled to your opinion, but what's it based on? Have you used Palm's SDK? I don't think so, from your description How many apps have yoy seen that won't work on a Pixi because of screen resolution differences?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    They have the same issue with apps they have with phones. but they won't be there unless

1. they pay companies
    2. strike partnership deals with companies
    3. sell so many devices that companies actually think it's worth their money to make an app either in exposure to more people or profitability off the app sales or services.

but in general i think any tablet without a ton of apps is a tough sell.
  17.    #97  
    On ports, like said above there needs to be alot of ports till webos catches up. THEN developers can focus on android, webos, ios etc etc. at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    And why have a simple bank app on a tablet? Use the browser?
    just a comment. i think if a company's response to a customer's desire to have a given app is, "Why would you want to do that. Just use the browser." I think the average customer would go. "But i can do both on another platform. I have no reason to user your limited platform." And will go with another platform that provides them what they want. I don't think it's a sound business strategy to tell the customer don't want do do what you want to do. To essentially say you wrong to want to do that. I think HP has to give the customer what they want or the customer will go elsewhere. I'm not going to go into why someone would prefer an app designed for a touchscreen over a website or even mobile apps but It seems pretty clear that customers like apps and want apps. But my main point is i think it's a poor business strategy to tell customers they shouldn't want what they want. I think it's much better to just satisfy the customer's wants. Especially when there is so much competition, especially in the tablet space.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    On ports, like said above there needs to be alot of ports till webos catches up. THEN developers can focus on android, webos, ios etc etc. at the same time.
    No platform can ever catch up based on ports. It is like a child catching up to his fathers age. The father has to stop aging before the child can catch up.

iOS is not sitting still. You can't port apps faster than they are coming online to the app store. If you do not focus on the uniqueness of your platform up front, you have already lost the platform war. There was probably a thousand new apps posted to the iOS app store in the time it took me to write this post. Forget about catching up.

Show the new and interesting things that can be done on the platform. Give up on the Shazam envy and build something even better. When you can establish why your platform is worth writing for in the first place, you will never again have to beg a developer to port an app.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Show the new and interesting things that can be done on the platform. Give up on the Shazam envy and build something even better.
    That's the problem though - that better mouse trap is most likely not going to be built on webOS. So we hope for it to be ported sometime down the line.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast