Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    If I was sure a WebOS app was coming from most devs within 30-60 days of an iOS app, WebOS is so worth it.
    I can definately live with 30 to 60 days of delay. This is the commitment that I would like to hear from HP on Feb 9th. I really careless about how this cloud thing, every freaking company is throwing this thing and I really don't care.

And I don't want to pay more for same apps that's in Android and iOS market. Why do I have to pay more money just because nobody uses webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    This is how I think HP can succeed.

. . .

Everything I mentioned in the above scenario is either about to be announced (phones and tablets) or is already available (all of the other services). And that's just the stuff I know about from reading. We have no idea what HP has that they're not discussing yet.

. . .

RIM has already proven that if you capture the corporate market, you can penetrate the consumer market. What HP will need to do is figure out a way to turn that penetration into captivation so they will succeed there as well.
    The fly I see in this ointment is WHEN did the inside out strategy. RIM was at the relative beginning of smartphones. There wasn't much of a consumer market. The sales were driven by corporate compatibility. iPhone changed that. Android has made it even harder. The dev cycle for a smartphone was years. Hardware, software, services were all in house. I read an article indicating that with Qualcomm processors and Android off the shelf, the dev time might be a quarter, not a year.

This all means more devices, shorter innovation cycles and the maturing of the product segment. I do believe HP has the opportunity to displace RIM before iPhone gets too embedded in corporate IT departments. Remember though, the IT guy has an iPhone right now and probably used a Mac in school.

I think this is HPs best shot, but they need to think of where they want their place in the world. The CEO says cool. I hope he means it and has a multi-year strategy to pull it off. I don't know if Apple had all this in mind when it launched iTunes, but it looks BRILLIANT in hindsight.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    While I agree, I wouldn't phrase the question they way you have. The question for me would be, is there enough of what I need for the forseeable future already built-in or committed. Most are making an investment (usually of 24 months or more) and you want to know what the return is likely to be. Those who invested in Android are now getting their apps built simultaneously or before iOS. If I was sure a WebOS app was coming from most devs within 30-60 days of an iOS app, WebOS is so worth it.
    There's no way for even a mega-corporation to track all of the latest and greatest apps hitting these platforms, and then bribe the developers into rushing a WebOS version.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    No it doesn't. You CAN tether to take your corporate stuff to the playbook but you have the same stuff on the playbook without it. Tethering is for corporate users but home users can use email etc. It is an option not required.

I am waiting on feb 9th let's hope hp has it a game on.
    Thanks for the clarification. I was always surprised at how many non corporate people used BlackBerry. Our Principal had one for years even though we use Exchange and it always caused headaches. Once I took over as Tech Coordinator I made sure her and all Directors changed to the Pre
    I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I've never made a smartphone purchase based on software that may or may not be developed. If a phone didn't do what I needed when I bought it, I would return it.
    You win the prize (smartest guy in the room). All of this hand wringing about what applications are available misses the point. No mass porting of application will happen until the user base grows, but not every wants everything just because someone else has it on their phone. Build the hardware, make it good, provide a baseline of functionality, sell, grow your base, then the developers will follow. In the mobile device world, the chicken (in this case, the devices) comes before the egg (the apps).

For all of the "I've gotta have xxx or I'm out" people on this site, there are lots who just want basic functionality and a solid user experience. If later something cool comes along, we may try it, but it will not ruin my life.

I have a Droid and don't use voice search, don't use Shazam, don't use flash hardly at all, don't edit documents on my device. I use my Credit Union's website and it works as well as any app I've ever used.

HP/Palm will never sell product to the people who want a "Facetime" like app,and it make no sense to expect someone to write one with little or no user base.... at least not now. But if they play to their strengths - or potential strengths (good user experience and if they and deliver on a new level of inter-connectivity) they will grow their base and start the cycle of additional developers moving in to build applications.

C
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    All of this hand wringing about what applications are available misses the point. No mass porting of application will happen until the user base grows, but not every wants everything just because someone else has it on their phone. Build the hardware, make it good, provide a baseline of functionality
    That kind of misses the point of having a smartphone as opposed to a feature phone. Feature phones are about base functionality. Smartphones are about platforms that can be expanded through third-party software. Without a robust, expanding platform, the phone is not really smart, just mildly clever.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    That kind of misses the point of having a smartphone as opposed to a feature phone. Feature phones are about base functionality. Smartphones are about platforms that can be expanded through third-party software. Without a robust, expanding platform, the phone is not really smart, just mildly clever.
    You win the prize (smartest guy in the room). All of this hand wringing about what applications are available misses the point. No mass porting of application will happen until the user base grows, but not every wants everything just because someone else has it on their phone. Build the hardware, make it good, provide a baseline of functionality, sell, grow your base, then the developers will follow. In the mobile device world, the chicken (in this case, the devices) comes before the egg (the apps).

For all of the "I've gotta have xxx or I'm out" people on this site, there are lots who just want basic functionality and a solid user experience. If later something cool comes along, we may try it, but it will not ruin my life.

I have a Droid and don't use voice search, don't use Shazam, don't use flash hardly at all, don't edit documents on my device. I use my Credit Union's website and it works as well as any app I've ever used.

HP/Palm will never sell product to the people who want a "Facetime" like app,and it make no sense to expect someone to write one with little or no user base.... at least not now. But if they play to their strengths - or potential strengths (good user experience and if they and deliver on a new level of inter-connectivity) they will grow their base and start the cycle of additional developers moving in to build applications.

C

I think somewhere in the middle is where I am. I want the phone to do what I need/want out of the box. I also acknowledge that my needs are going to change and I want to feel confident that when they do, software will be updated and apps will be available to keep me on that phone. 6 months ago I never heard of dropbox, now I rely on that and dropboxify on a daily basis. If the Pre didn't have this app available I would be stuck and considering a change.

C

You are going to better of just using the feature phone. New webOS phone probably going to cost same as new android or iphone. Why should I have to get the phone that have limited options? And hoping that it will come around. I have done it with my Pre Plus, and I am not going to do it all over again. I have done the beta testing for Pre Plus. Now I want some result from HP. If they don't do it right, no more webOS for me.

People think there's room for more mobile OS because the market isn't fully matured yet. But if you look at the PC market, how many OS is there?

I think as the smartphone or tablet markets get more mature, I think only top 2 or 3 os will survive.
    I remember reading in one of the PreCentral or Engadget articles that HPalm was talking with Amazon about furthing the Music experience and making Amazon what iTunes is for the ifone. But we will just have to wait another few days to see for sure...
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I think somewhere in the middle is where I am. I want the phone to do what I need/want out of the box. I also acknowledge that my needs are going to change and I want to feel confident that when they do, software will be updated and apps will be available to keep me on that phone. 6 months ago I never heard of dropbox, now I rely on that and dropboxify on a daily basis. If the Pre didn't have this app available I would be stuck and considering a change.
    I think that's where I'm at too. A smartphone is made by the apps, if I didn't need them, I could be doing everything through a dumbphone on the web. However, I can't do everything nor is it always convinent.

My bank doesn't have a WebOS app, but it has an iPhone/BB/Android app. No mobile site, and the regular site is a bit of a pain to use on such a small screen (wouldn't be so bad on a tablet, I know).

I don't have Flash. I watch a lot of non-YouTube videos. Flash would be helpful. Or a CNN or Huffington Post app that would eliminate the need for Flash. Or a Vimeo app since it seems very rarely do they have a video for mobile that I watch (music videos).

Twitter? Without the apps, I'd be lost. No way could I ever stay up to date on my timeline like I do now with the wonderful WebOS apps we have.

I could pull up other instances, but the fact is is that we use these apps in addition to the great OS we have. But the only stock 'app' I use on a daily basis in WebOS is Email and the Browser. But those are kind of givens.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Did you know that dropbox is free in other mobile? And we have to pay for this. I believe dropboxify, which I've never used, is not an official apps from dropbox, and i heard it's missing some features but I am not 100% sure about that. What I am trying to say is that, we have to pay extra for something everyone else get it for free.
    Thank you for defining "smartphone" for us. So, it all boils down to the same old tired refrain - no one else can do it like MyPhone, so no one else should even try.

Meanwhile, I'll keep using my current WebOS device, even as I look forward to new devices that do everything it does currnetly, and offers more.

I know, I know, that probably will earn some derision from the non-Palm group out there, but that's OK, I'll someone manage to carry on.

Meanwhile, my prediction is that there will be current apps, new offerings almost immediately. Those will keep me happy. I hope I see more. If I don't, there are other devices that may or may not be as good. We'll just have to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    You are going to better of just using the feature phone. New webOS phone probably going to cost same as new android or iphone. Why should I have to get the phone that have limited options? And hoping that it will come around. I have done it with my Pre Plus, and I am not going to do it all over again. I have done the beta testing for Pre Plus. Now I want some result from HP. If they don't do it right, no more webOS for me.

People think there's room for more mobile OS because the market isn't fully matured yet. But if you look at the PC market, how many OS is there?

I think as the smartphone or tablet markets get more mature, I think only top 2 or 3 os will survive.
    See, this is the problem. You are telling him what he should do based on your needs and desires.

First of all, you don't know what the new WebOS phones will cost, or whether they will have "limited options". That's fine that you're not "going to do it all over again", but that doesn't mean that is everyone else's experience.
    See, this is the problem. You are telling him what he should do based on your needs and desires.

First of all, you don't know what the new WebOS phones will cost, or whether they will have "limited options". That's fine that you're not "going to do it all over again", but that doesn't mean that is everyone else's experience.
    That's fair. This is just my personal experience. This is like love hate relationship with my webOS. I loved it when it was first announced. and I was extremely happy when it came out on Verizon. However, I was kind of skeptic about it, lack of support from dev world.
    For longest time, I was hang on to my Pre and thinking this is the best thing ever happened to the smartphone world. However, months pass by and slow progress on Palm and app support. And so many bugs, slow fixes. I am just tired. Honestly, I still want webOS to succeed, but without hearing all the complaint from currently user bases, I don't think HP can have great device. I really hope someone from HP read this forum, and read all the good stuffs and read all the complaints. And implemented on their soon to be release devices.
    No, not really, the point is that not all Smartphone users are in need of the same apps.

(I use a password authentication system, a number of games, a pair of "to do list", cloud based file storage, two radio programs, a custom made hyperlinked reference database - at which WebOS shines, two news sources, a number of doc readers, etc. Over 50 programs in all, so I doubt I would call myself a feature phone user. How many of 100,000 apps do you actually USE? -Not just play with for a week or show off to friends and then never use- I guess if I need them, I'd buy a different phone)

So when all of our amateur strategists proclaim the death of the platform because it doesn't have one application or another, it is based on a personal preference rather than any empirical information.

Also, the main point of the post, you have to improve the experience in order to get more users, and that is what will get more developers. Easy? No. But it never happens the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Did you know that dropbox is free in other mobile? And we have to pay for this. I believe dropboxify, which I've never used, is not an official apps from dropbox, and i heard it's missing some features but I am not 100% sure about that. What I am trying to say is that, we have to pay extra for something everyone else get it for free.
    Absolutely. And I certainly wish some apps were made by the actual company so that I don't have to worry about them unilaterally changing permissions. As far as it being paid as opposed to free I would obviously prefer a free app, but don't mind paying if it meets my needs. I've accepted that for now (maybe things will change) the users aren't there to make money off of, or to create enough of a demand. As long as the needed apps are there I'm happy. There's always room for improvement, and I am optimistic that the future of webOS will show that improvement.
  17.    #77  
    Wow my topic is off topic isn't it? Well looking around the playbook from RIM needs tethering to get email, unless you want to do webmail. *sigh* I was wrong earlier, so yeah.

HP come on and hit one out of the park.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    Wow my topic is off topic isn't it? Well looking around the playbook from RIM needs tethering to get email, unless you want to do webmail. *sigh* I was wrong earlier, so yeah.

HP come on and hit one out of the park.
    RIM? What's that?
    <<thread scrubbed>>

Guys - this forum is not about Apple, but about HP and webOS. We aren't analyzing apps on other platforms here. The question in the topic is simply asking if HP will be able to bring Apps for HP/webOS devices. Please stay on-topic and away from the arguing.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/01/2011 at 11:00 PM.
    Imagine an HP rep telling a business:

If you would like your employees to use Google Mail, our systems will integrate with that. If you would prefer to not involve Google, and host your domain in the cloud, we can handle that for you and our systems will integrate with that. Not only that, our systems, in either case, will integrate well with the existing systems you have. Even if you'd like to maintain everything "in house", we have a team that can either assist you in setting up the system, or do it start to finish for you. We can set up with the servers, the workstations, the tablets, and the phones, and tightly integrate all of those together, including custom applications to take care of your business needs. Finally, we can tie in your legacy systems, including your older iPhones and Mac computers with the new system. Unfortunately, they won't be able to run the new apps natively, but for the business essential apps we can provide a web inteface so even your outdated legacy systems can use the new system.
    This is an excellent scenario. I know this because it's what we have at my office (to include desk phone integration with all that including remote, telecommuter desk phones). Having a single, goto (turnkey?) source for this capability would be outstanding and HP is the kind of company that could pull it off. It's like BES for the 21st century.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast