Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    only reason for them to hold back the SDK is that it includes something we shouldn't know right now.

I think they very well know that holding it back slows development of apps...
    I'm not talking about you, but a lot of people think that they know better than the people that work at HP. That being said, the people that HP want to have the SDK have it.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I'm not talking about you, but a lot of people think that they know better than the people that work at HP. That being said, the people that HP want to have the SDK have it.
    Wouldn't it be much better if EVERYONE had access to the SDK?

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    I've been a Palm fan since I got my Pre over a year and a half ago. I had used an iPhone, but not extensively, and I know about the vastness of their apps.

When it came to the iPad, I pretty much ignored everything about it (minus the specs for comparisons), until I came along this Gizmodo article today. I hadn't read anything about the apps, hardware, etc because I didn't really care a whole lot as I've been dead set on whatever Palm is going to come out with.

However, as I see some of those apps... I'm drooling. Those games? I want them. The VNC app? Hell. Yes. Even the simpler apps like Epicurious that have a website but the app makes it so it's formatted for the iPad would be awesome.

It makes me worry a bit that if I make the investment in this device that we may not get many things like this, and I'll end up disappointed and move to an iPad. As much as I love WebOS, I want it to be able to compete. I really hope HP will have gone out and got those big name developers beforehand, and will have a large collection of apps at launch. As much as I love functionality, I'll need something to do with it besides surf the interwebs/stay updated on Twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I've been a Palm fan since I got my Pre over a year and a half ago. I had used an iPhone, but not extensively, and I know about the vastness of their apps.

When it came to the iPad, I pretty much ignored everything about it (minus the specs for comparisons), until I came along this Gizmodo article today. I hadn't read anything about the apps, hardware, etc because I didn't really care a whole lot as I've been dead set on whatever Palm is going to come out with.

However, as I see some of those apps... I'm drooling. Those games? I want them. The VNC app? Hell. Yes. Even the simpler apps like Epicurious that have a website but the app makes it so it's formatted for the iPad would be awesome.

It makes me worry a bit that if I make the investment in this device that we may not get many things like this, and I'll end up disappointed and move to an iPad. As much as I love WebOS, I want it to be able to compete. I really hope HP will have gone out and got those big name developers beforehand, and will have a large collection of apps at launch. As much as I love functionality, I'll need something to do with it besides surf the interwebs/stay updated on Twitter.
    Those apps Gizmodo listed don't even scratch the surface. It would best if you're set on a WebOS device, don't read the iPad articles. Your expectations of the HP tablet won't be so high. Then if they deliver, you won't have missed anything.
    Wondering if it's even feasible for HP to pay for developers to develop the most important 100 apps for WebOS? Would that investment pay off in sales, critical mass and then more developers and more sales. That is the virtuous cycle Apple has been in since the ipod.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Wondering if it's even feasible for HP to pay for developers to develop the most important 100 apps for WebOS? Would that investment pay off in sales, critical mass and then more developers and more sales. That is the virtuous cycle Apple has been in since the ipod.
    What's the 100 most important apps? You ask 100 different individuals and I guarantee you'll have 100 different lists.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Those apps Gizmodo listed don't even scratch the surface. It would best if you're set on a WebOS device, don't read the iPad articles. Your expectations of the HP tablet won't be so high. Then if they deliver, you won't have missed anything.
    I had a feeling :/... It was one of the main reasons why I didn't read the articles, search the App Store. I'll try and forget everything I saw
    I believe they have a ton of apps ready to launch (remember that whole internal HP app contest they had for employees?). We still haven't seen those apps. I believe they will be announced/released on Feb. 9th.
    Sure hp guys are messing around with webos but how many of those do yoi think will be good?

Don't get your hopes up. Actually it would be best to get them down.. Down as far as possible! Eeeebitiewittybit amounts of hope.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Wouldn't it be much better if EVERYONE had access to the SDK?

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    I thought that when Palm released the 2.0 SDK beta, if you were a dev and you wanted in all you had to do was contact dev relations. Matter of fact if you wanted to get in on the early dev program you'd get access to the 2.0 beta SDK. Just click on the link webOS 2.0 Developer Beta - HP Palm Developer Center and it'll take to page that contains the info you would need.

So unless they've closed earlier access, why couldn't "EVERYONE", everyone being a dev gain access to the 2.0 beta SDK? Has HP closed the early access program?
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    ... So unless they've closed earlier access, why couldn't "EVERYONE", everyone being a dev gain access to the 2.0 beta SDK? Has HP closed the early access program?
    I recently got in, ~2 weeks ago - but there is a complete framework 'enyo' that has not been released, including to the early access program.
    DataJog - Ingeniously Moving Data From Your Desktop to ANY webOS or Android Device

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
    ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's
  12.    #52  
    I understand that talk about "don't be so doom and gloom", granted but a fair question. I have been looking at the playbook and all the stuff on it (didn't pay it much mind) holy crap. I know RIM took webos ui stuff, but this is awesome and they put the sdk out for air developers to do great stuff. HP better kick some *** or they are dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanfvr View Post
    I understand that talk about "don't be so doom and gloom", granted but a fair question. I have been looking at the playbook and all the stuff on it (didn't pay it much mind) holy crap. I know RIM took webos ui stuff, but this is awesome and they put the sdk out for air developers to do great stuff. HP better kick some *** or they are dead.
    while it looks good, it must be tethered to a blackberry for calendar and email making it pointless for many. I hope HP's has the specs and apps to stand on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartKidsOnTheRun View Post
    I recently got in, ~2 weeks ago - but there is a complete framework 'enyo' that has not been released, including to the early access program.
    I would guess and it's only a guess, but just like the PDK Enyo probably has only been released to corporate partners that HP deems essential.
    There is an aspect of apps that everyone seems to be forgetting. It is not just about what apps a platform has; but about the latest apps a platform has. wOS ships with several useful apps like mail and calendar. It is not as if there are no apps. But for a long time, the cry was for Angry Birds, NFS, etc. When those apps are ported, the cry does not subside; it changes to something else.

If HP paid for 1,000 apps, they still would not include the next big thing that was created for iOS. That is the app everyone wants. What people really want is their hardware with the iOS ecosystem. That is never going to happen. Having been on a Mac for a number of years, I know what it is like to not have the broader ecosystem and the latest and greatest, always having to wait for a bad port. That is the trade-off.

So, to the broader question of will the apps be there, the answer is no. That is the nature of the beast. The bigger question is can you be satisfied with the limitations inherent in your platform of choice, or will you always be sick with envy over what's on the other side of the fence.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    while it looks good, it must be tethered to a blackberry for calendar and email making it pointless for many. I hope HP's has the specs and apps to stand on its own.
    No it doesn't. You CAN tether to take your corporate stuff to the playbook but you have the same stuff on the playbook without it. Tethering is for corporate users but home users can use email etc. It is an option not required.

I am waiting on feb 9th let's hope hp has it a game on.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    This is an interesting point. Apple is vertically integrated (software, hardware, services). Android basically gives away the software and then floods the market with myriad devices. Both strategies have "worked."
    Think iTunes, think Windows, think Amazon. The good news is there is an aversion to one-company dominance and a desire for interoperability. Profit and ease of use may trump these, but we'll see.
    This is how I think HP can succeed.

Have the smooth integration and back end support that you see for Apple, and ubiquitousness of Android. If HP makes the devices work together well, but still work almost as well with other systems, they will succeed.

Imagine an HP rep telling a business:

If you would like your employees to use Google Mail, our systems will integrate with that. If you would prefer to not involve Google, and host your domain in the cloud, we can handle that for you and our systems will integrate with that. Not only that, our systems, in either case, will integrate well with the existing systems you have. Even if you'd like to maintain everything "in house", we have a team that can either assist you in setting up the system, or do it start to finish for you. We can set up with the servers, the workstations, the tablets, and the phones, and tightly integrate all of those together, including custom applications to take care of your business needs. Finally, we can tie in your legacy systems, including your older iPhones and Mac computers with the new system. Unfortunately, they won't be able to run the new apps natively, but for the business essential apps we can provide a web inteface so even your outdated legacy systems can use the new system.

Everything I mentioned in the above scenario is either about to be announced (phones and tablets) or is already available (all of the other services). And that's just the stuff I know about from reading. We have no idea what HP has that they're not discussing yet.

Yes, I think the software will be there. Not a lot at first, but HP has their own developers. They've offered incentives for those developers, and that was just to get them started. But I think that's just the tip of the iceburg. RIM has already proven that if you capture the corporate market, you can penetrate the consumer market. What HP will need to do is figure out a way to turn that penetration into captivation so they will succeed there as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There is an aspect of apps that everyone seems to be forgetting. It is not just about what apps a platform has; but about the latest apps a platform has. wOS ships with several useful apps like mail and calendar. It is not as if there are no apps. But for a long time, the cry was for Angry Birds, NFS, etc. When those apps are ported, the cry does not subside; it changes to something else.

If HP paid for 1,000 apps, they still would not include the next big thing that was created for iOS. That is the app everyone wants. What people really want is their hardware with the iOS ecosystem...
    Correction. That's what some people want.
    I won't buy hardware that uses the iOS ecosystem. Some folks have made the deliberate decision not to tie themselves the vagaries of a single vendor.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    As opposed to the certainties of smartphone software that may or may not be developed at some unknown date?
    I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I've never made a smartphone purchase based on software that may or may not be developed. If a phone didn't do what I needed when I bought it, I would return it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

If HP paid for 1,000 apps, they still would not include the next big thing that was created for iOS. That is the app everyone wants. What people really want is their hardware with the iOS ecosystem. That is never going to happen. Having been on a Mac for a number of years, I know what it is like to not have the broader ecosystem and the latest and greatest, always having to wait for a bad port. That is the trade-off.

So, to the broader question of will the apps be there, the answer is no. That is the nature of the beast. The bigger question is can you be satisfied with the limitations inherent in your platform of choice, or will you always be sick with envy over what's on the other side of the fence.
    While I agree, I wouldn't phrase the question they way you have. The question for me would be, is there enough of what I need for the forseeable future already built-in or committed. Most are making an investment (usually of 24 months or more) and you want to know what the return is likely to be. Those who invested in Android are now getting their apps built simultaneously or before iOS. If I was sure a WebOS app was coming from most devs within 30-60 days of an iOS app, WebOS is so worth it.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast