Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post
    But remember they have yet to release any HP Labs apps yet. So there are going to be new and good apps.
    definitely! I'm waiting for these, too....McKinney said there are more than 500 of them...
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Secret partnerships? Deals with the most popular companies? wOS 2 is already out. Why would they need secret partnerships and closed deals with elite companies? Why didn't they unleash the SDK to all of the excited developers if they have it ready? I don't see what this strategy gains them.
    Its a huge master plan for their release. Remember their all about he cloud and synergy. Their apps or the new apps probably need not only need 2.0 but also need the cloud to work with it. I'm sure they have something major but also remember they are all for enterprise... I'm sure they are working to get the major companies in the works. I think there is a new version of webos that have features we don't know yet.
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post
    Its a huge master plan for their release. Remember their all about he cloud and synergy. Their apps or the new apps probably need not only need 2.0 but also need the cloud to work with it. I'm sure they have something major but also remember they are all for enterprise... I'm sure they are working to get the major companies in the works. I think there is a new version of webos that have features we don't know yet.
    Problem is that I heard they are going to release the devices couple of weeks after Feb 9th release. And there's no developers on board for this new change. So initial PalmPad buyers are going to sit around waiting for some big apps to come out, and this is again like initial Pre release. We are just hoping that webOS will get the tons of apps soon but after long time, we still don't have bunch of apps missing.

Windows Phone 7 got bunch of apps releases, because Microsoft was working with the developers long time before the phone releases. Microsoft was never shy about the Windows Phone 7, and they even gave away tons of Windows Phones to the developers well before the release time.

HP should've done that. Build up the confident to the potential customers that, webOS will get the apps that they deserve. Maybe not on the release date, but soon after. And show people that there's tons of developers are interested on the new devices.

So far, I haven't heard any developers are working on future webOS. It takes time to properly developer and test. that will take atleast months. I am not going to sitting around waiting. It's like I have windows 7 on my top of the line laptop but I can only browse internet and check email. Nothing else to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Two problems: developers and APIs. I hope HP-Palm has the APIs fixed, though I've heard some troubling comments about the mic and camera APIs (that they don't allow low-level access, which would allow interesting signal processing to occur). Developers is easy if HP-Palm is willing to part with a bunch of cash. Pay developers to develop, and they will. I don't know if they are going to do that or not, but it sure would be nice. Gotta give them all the tools though. There are still some things that can't be done on webOS because of lack of APIs.
    As a non-tecky guy, why wouldnt HP or even Palm not release the APIs/mic etc to allow for many of the apps even the average user uses daily? Why not release the SDKs and the other ks (not sure what this all means), there doesnt seem like any advantages with this for HP/Palm.
    As I read through various posts, some seem to still post as if webOS is a standalone with old Palm, rather than waiting until next week and giving HP a chance to show where they are headed, and how their roadmap will differ from what we've gotten from the old Palm.

No matter the forum or topic, there are some posters who seem to say the samething over and over as if HP should just go home. If I was new to the forum, man I might just go out and buy an Android or iOS phone tomorrow after reading them.

I do understand much of the blasting old Palm got/gets, but for HP, who has announced when, where and hinted at what they plan to give us on 2/9/11, why blast them or have a gloom/doom outlook before even seeing anything? Maybe I am just a "glass is half-full" even during the worst cases.
    I don't think a little doubt is unreasonable. The topic of the thread is will the apps be there. Bro, they don't even have a public SDK. Some skepticism is called for.
    I don't know if someone has already posted this but i saw this a day ot two ago

HP webOS tablets may get own music store, Kindle and Netflix | Electronista
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    From the posts here, I'm wondering if any of you know anything about Santa Clara Valley, aka, Silicon Valley and its resident engineers. The recession is still on for us here and pretty much has been since Enron 10 years ago told Grandma Millie to eff herself. Developers aren't sitting around waiting because nobody's been looking to hire for much of anything anywhere despite all the hacker dojos, garage meet-ups, code camps, developer forums, etc. We want to get to work but it's pretty darned tough to do when you can't afford the devices and you're about to clock out as 99'ers.

It seems that all OS SDK's are very much incomplete. Everybody's taking their sweet time "sourcing" potential but not posting for jobs. Nobody's really hiring; Apple, HP, Google, nobody. They all talk big but nothing's really happening. Sourcing is the newest trick. They hire a sourcer to cruise sites like Linked In for people with the appropriate skill set for what they "might" want to do without officially posting a job listing anywhere. Very sneaky...

So, if any of you are willing to step up to the plate to help fund any projects, even in a small way, we've got a brain trust of highly skilled folks we can pool at a moment's notice and can gain access to SDK's pretty readily as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    As I read through various posts, some seem to still post as if webOS is a standalone with old Palm, rather than waiting until next week and giving HP a chance to show where they are headed, and how their roadmap will differ from what we've gotten from the old Palm.

No matter the forum or topic, there are some posters who seem to say the samething over and over as if HP should just go home. If I was new to the forum, man I might just go out and buy an Android or iOS phone tomorrow after reading them.

I do understand much of the blasting old Palm got/gets, but for HP, who has announced when, where and hinted at what they plan to give us on 2/9/11, why blast them or have a gloom/doom outlook before even seeing anything? Maybe I am just a "glass is half-full" even during the worst cases.
    You can be optimistic, but if you ignore empirical evidence, you're fast approaching zealotry.

I can see HP "holding back" on announcing that they got Amazon Kindle, maybe Netflix, and one or two other big names to develop for the tablet. They want the Feb. 9 announcement to be impactful. Makes sense.

But the complete lack of buzz from developers, lack of new public development resources, and all around general stasis doesn't bode well for an imminent sea change as far as third party apps. It's not "being negative" to note that the sky is grayed out and will likely rain.
    personally, I'd like to kick some droid and iphone ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by SalmonNationWoman View Post
    personally, I'd like to kick some droid and iphone ****!
    Very good chance, it will never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You can be optimistic, but if you ignore empirical evidence, you're fast approaching zealotry.

I can see HP "holding back" on announcing that they got Amazon Kindle, maybe Netflix, and one or two other big names to develop for the tablet. They want the Feb. 9 announcement to be impactful. Makes sense.

But the complete lack of buzz from developers, lack of new public development resources, and all around general stasis doesn't bode well for an imminent sea change as far as third party apps. It's not "being negative" to note that the sky is grayed out and will likely rain.
    Understood and I am nowhere near zealotry, just baffles me that the sky seems to be falling in every thread, although HP has asked us to tune in on 2/9/11.

Dont mean to highjack thread, but even this thread seem to travel the raod of doomness. I will be the 1st to blast HP, if they half step next week without some type of roadmap and new devices.
    I'd rather have people wondering whether the software will be there on February 9 and thereby showing interest in what HP will announce than people wondering when the Atrix is coming out and when they can pre-order.

Palm and HP, by extension, have worked very hard to earn a lot of skepticism. Let them work just as hard to earn the optimism you seek for others to have.
    I think this is big mistake for HP. They should've released the public SDK like months ago. They don't have to show the device, that can be done on Feb 9th. Let people see how it looks, and let developers to spread the power of webOS, that will build up the excitement. perhaps, some developer can already show the apps on their screen and put it on youtube. I've seen plenty of apps for windows phone 7 on youtube video because windows phone 7 released.
    I understand the thinking, but I think HP and Palm overestimate the power of "secret announcements" held back for one event.

Case in point, there was a big brouhaha some time ago here about whether a leaked video showing Need For Speed on the Pre was real. Palm had signed up EA, Gameloft, and a couple of other companies to port some iOS games over to WebOS, and with these games, they would show off the power of the PDK.

But they held back until last year's CES, and the news largely got drowned out by other platforms. Eventually, game development slowed to a crawl beyond that first bumper crop, and even the dutiful Gameloft tapered off. I think if they announced the titles sooner and then saved the gameplay videos themselves for CES, they would've reaped more excitement and sustained interest.

I think they should have started leaking new app info some time ago leading up to this announcement the same way. Whatever content partnerships they announce on Feb. 9 will have to compete with Google's "ecosystem" announcement and iPad 2 content details shortly thereafter, not to mention all of the other hardware news. What happens if interest tails off this time?
    Was at a tech conference today for businesses. People were aware of Palm and the enthusiastic reviews on the tech sites. Its encouraging that Palm still has a spotlight almost two years after the Pre's debut--they now need to deliver.
    For Feb 9th announcement, I am really careless for the hardware part. They are all similar anyway. I am more interested on how they are going to bring all the interest from the developers, and which big name will be on board and how soon they will be releasing their apps to webOS phone and tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think the only questions that matter are "Will the excitement be there?" and "Will HP sustain it?"

That means constant updates and new features added. That means regularly refreshing hardware and being available on every carrier at every price point. That means basically doing the opposite of what Palm did.
    This is an interesting point. Apple is vertically integrated (software, hardware, services). Android basically gives away the software and then floods the market with myriad devices. Both strategies have "worked."

HP would have to leapfrog Apple in sheer coolness and usability to take the vertically integrated route. They'd have to produce a better ecosystem to compete in the Android route.

Neither seem probable. Unlike many, I see this space consolidating around a winner at home and a winner at work or one to two winner totally. I say this for the same reason Windows and Facebook have been so dominant. Once you have the platform that everyone plays on, others have to join to play.

Think iTunes, think Windows, think Amazon. The good news is there is an aversion to one-company dominance and a desire for interoperability. Profit and ease of use may trump these, but we'll see.
    only reason for them to hold back the SDK is that it includes something we shouldn't know right now.

I think they very well know that holding it back slows development of apps...
    Apple is a closed system
    Google is open but there are many who do not want their information to be able to accessed so easily by Google
    Because of this there is still room for another player
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast