1.    #1  
    I'm just wondering if HP will be able to sell tablets (and possibly smartphones) at a substantially cheaper prices if they are using cloud storage. I only wonder because Apple sells products by memory (most times).
    Cloud storage is just an extra feature - not a replacement for internal storage. They'll hit the price points that the market will bear as always.
    Based on the fact that you need hard storage and the recently leaked plans show the possibilities for 16/32/64gb models... I'd say nope.

Not everything is going to be stored on the cloud. I wouldn't personally use it for much, as you don't always have access to it (ie wi-fi only version, bad cell signal, etc.)
    perhaps. But either the carriers or HP will find a way to make money off of it, whether it be by charging a premium for certain features or by selling ads.

microsoft gives it's customers and anyone with a hotmail account 25 gb of free cloud storage, ie "skydrive." I had this feature back when I flirted with windows mobile a few yrs back.

hp will have to top that, and then some.
    no
    not substantially... BBUT if they did it right and could really make SYNERGY work perfectly with all the apps and a good 4G or wifi connection. I could see them selling a 1-2GB version with the intention that most of the information is in the cloud. Although I don't find this to be very likely. I think its probably mostly for music and video streaming as you transfer from device to device.
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    I'm just wondering if HP will be able to sell tablets (and possibly smartphones) at a substantially cheaper prices if they are using cloud storage. I only wonder because Apple sells products by memory (most times).
    I doubt cloud storage would allow them to reduce the retail cost of the device. You still have to consider the cost of running and maintaining the servers. And i'm sure carriers would expect some $ to cushion the effects of increased data usage.

cloud storage is little more than another checkbox on the back of the package As far as economics are concerned. But I think it's a box i'd love to have checked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I doubt cloud storage would allow them to reduce the retail cost of the device. You still have to consider the cost of running and maintaining the servers. And i'm sure carriers would expect some $ to cushion the effects of increased data usage.

cloud storage is little more than another checkbox on the back of the package As far as economics are concerned. But I think it's a box i'd love to have checked.
    I see what you're saying but its still substantially cheaper to manage a cloud storage environment vs. the cost of say $100 extra per unit
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post
    I see what you're saying but its still substantially cheaper to manage a cloud storage environment vs. the cost of say $100 extra per unit
    Apple (and HP, and Samsung, and everyone else) breaks out their tablets by memory in order to create marketing strata. The price difference does NOT correlate to the manufacturer's cost difference; it's exaggerated each step up to encourage status-symbol buying.

I wager that the screen, CPU, battery, radio, and QA costs are more significant than the memory one, in any tablet or smartphone you care to name.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    oh yeah. i mean, memory is practically free these days. i do miss the ipods with gigantic hard drives though...
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    oh yeah. i mean, memory is practically free these days. i do miss the ipods with gigantic hard drives though...
    Well, millions of gigabytes still costs something. Let's see... 1000 gigabytes = 1 terabyte. 1000 terabytes = 1 petabyte. So 1M gigabytes = 1 petabyte. Last I checked, petabytes were still fairly expensive. I don't mean that in a snarky way--I honestly haven't checked for several years. Assuming HP sells 1M pads, and each comes with free 10 GB of storage, they would need 10 petabytes. Of course, not everyone is going to fill up 10 GB instantaneously, but they would need a pretty massive cloud storage facility (preferably more than one for redunancy) to handle that amount of data.

In 2006 or so, I had a job where I had to procure a few petabytes of storage. That was several million dollars, but only a portion of it was online at a time. That wouldn't do for a cloud storage where customers expect instant access. Then you also quickly get into facility costs, because this is going to take up some serious space, will require cooling, lots of high speed connections, power, etc. So yeah, this is not free, though the cost per tablet would probably be a little less than the equivalent amount of flash memory for each tablet.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Unfortunately they won't. They will be selling tablets the same way everyone else does. But the sooner we get rid of internal hard drives and switch to cloud storage, the better.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Unfortunately they won't. They will be selling tablets the same way everyone else does. But the sooner we get rid of internal hard drives and switch to cloud storage, the better.
    Eh, not until the USA gets a high speed infrastructure worth a s***. I am 1 mile from comcast and rely on sprint 3g and sometimes that goes to pot in bad weather. So me relying on the cloud is ok at best and dodgy at worst and at best my speed is ho hum. Cloud storage is great, IF the infrastructure supports it. I work in IT and many business's/corporations work in the cloud and it works due to their infrastructure.
    I think it will be a few more years before devices really go completely in the cloud. By then (or even now) device storage is fairly cheap. I think the big limiting factor is because companies spent so many years hyping up storage and processors, they will have to convince customers it does not matter anymore. You and I understand on device memory is not as critical as it used to be, but to the average consumer, they will not understand.