Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    this to me seems to be a main issue that most people who bought the Ipad run into. This is to me the question that most consumers, that are looking for a laptop alternative will ask. A article recently written from laptopmag.com addresses some issues that the Ipad had, that couldnt easily duplicate the main functions on a laptop. He makes very good, and valid points as well as to me shows why for the moment with the current available tablets, that they are not really considered PC's, or PC replacements. Though what it does show that even though the ipad's versions of the applications needed for a average daily users need on a laptop are missing features, it does show most things can be done. My hope is that if these things can be addressed, or if they are addressed in the up and coming Palmpad, they will be able to really add a real alternative to a laptop or netbook.

heres his verdict:

Verdict & Final Grade
    Hardware-wise, the iPad can handle many of the same tasks as a netbook or even a pricier laptop. And with the addition of a few accessories, it can be a decent productivity tool. The real problem I encountered in my adventure is software-based. In many cases, iPad apps aren’t as robust as their desktop counterparts, and they don’t talk to each other as much as I’d like. And due to limitations of iOS in key areas such as file management, the iPad just isn’t ready to be your sole PC. ■

Can An iPad Really Replace a PC?
    It needs a robust doc editor .. (full word prcessing capability) spreasheets powerpoint and google doc sync and edit , just to start... If it has that, I can see it happening

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I agree with the above. I do think that a tablet can replace a pc for casual use. Wouldnt need a pc for internet or media consumption. Atleast for palm and android who have flash. I see me only using my laptop for developing, graphic design and office docs as well as games not on the system yet (i reallllly want empire earth 2 ported!!!)
    I think he was too kind. Office programs? That needs a F. These mobile alternative office apps are laughable compared to MS Office. That's really the main reason these devices can't replace my laptop or desktop. Limited mobile browsers don't help either.

But if you have no need for Office & other more powerful apps and have just simple smartphone like needs, then sure. And there seems to be a big market of people with simple needs. A big screen ipod. Apple zeroed in on this.

There's nothing wrong in justifying an ipad purchase as an entertainment device. It's a fun device to use in that regard.
    Last edited by cardfan; 01/30/2011 at 10:31 AM.
    For what I do on my laptop, no. A tablet will not be able to replace it.
  6.    #6  
    Im woundering if with Webos, would it be possiable to port over, or make a comparable version of things like Microsoft Office type programs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    But you can get pr0n on a tablet as well.. Especially since it has flash! Lol lol ltm

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pads and Tablets are toys for surfing the web, watching videos or playing games. Laptops are real computers that run complex applications and have keyboards, monitor ports and conventional user interfaces. My smartphone can do most if not all things a Pad can do but it can't come close to replacing my laptop PC for business.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  9.    #9  
    im in the same boat my girl has a ipad, and though its nice I cant do half the stuff I need done on it, and often use my laptop smh.
    On a class-by-class basis, yeah. I plan to leave my MacBook Pro in my dorm room all day and replace my classnote-taking utility with the Palm tablet.
    My tablet will not replace my laptop until it can do everything my laptop can do.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    im in the same boat my girl has a ipad, and though its nice I cant do half the stuff I need done on it, and often use my laptop smh.
    For me, a tablet would be great for web browsing, checking email, light document editing, and stuff like that. I need my laptop though for doing things like graphic design, coding, running emulators, and playing real games lol.

If I had a spare $500 laying around, I'd probably pick up a tablet I guess.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  13.    #13  
    For me, a tablet would be great for web browsing, checking email, light document editing, and stuff like that. I need my laptop though for doing things like graphic design, coding, running emulators, and playing real games lol.

If I had a spare $500 laying around, I'd probably pick up a tablet I guess.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    lol right I agree, I dont think I can give up my laptop unless it can provide me with major options a PC does.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Im woundering if with Webos, would it be possiable to port over, or make a comparable version of things like Microsoft Office type programs?
    The problem is there are no good programs to port over. If a mobile office app is designed to save as .doc, .docx, etc, then what does this tell you? That we live in an Office world. Use Office.

These apps don't import or export reliably. That's the show stopper. But even if they did, the mobile versions only have simple, limited functions.

At best, these mobile suites can be suitable as viewers.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    The problem is there are no good programs to port over. If a mobile office app is designed to save as .doc, .docx, etc, then what does this tell you? That we live in an Office world. Use Office.

These apps don't import or export reliably. That's the show stopper. But even if they did, the mobile versions only have simple, limited functions.

And there in lies the problem.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Needs a great document editing suite, solid browser that can handle flash properly, and skype and I will be happy.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

oh ok thanks for the info
    I think the more full-featured version of Google Docs (available for Android and iOS currently) would be enough for me. For someone who really needs a full-featured office suite, a tablet isn't ever going to be your primary computer. If you want to force your old way of thinking onto a new form factor, feel free to purchase the HP Slate 500. It's a very nice piece of kit honestly.

The three primary computers I use right now:
    - iMac at work: I use google docs for everything, because most of the docs I work with are inventories and references that I collaborate with others on
    - desktop at home (linux and win7): no office suite installed, I use google docs for all my personal stuff too
    - Google Cr-48 (Chrome OS): obviously google docs here too, since there are no local apps

on top of that I use Evernote, specifically because they were there with an app on Pre launch day.

I just tried google docs from my pre, and it looks like you can edit spreadsheets but not documents. Odd, that. If I try to view the desktop version on the pre, it lets me edit but doesn't auto save (and doesn't let me save manually).

To answer the OP's question, yes the PalmPad will replace my laptop. Actually, I sold my MacBook Air after getting the Cr-48, because I was so fully immersed in the pilot programme that I no longer used it. I keep telling my boss "NO!" whenever he offers to buy me an iPad (nearly everyone at the office has one), telling him that I'll hold out for a Palm Pad. I do see usage scenarios that I'd much rather be on a tablet than a laptop/netbook, but that might just be my mind trying to justify the need for this future device
    I use an iPad in a school where everyone else has a Lenovo net book (the ones the government is giving out), and to begin with it really stands out, particularly when it is on the Apple keyboard dock. However, even with a good range on productivity apps like iWork, notes plus and iBooks, it can replace textbooks and exercise books, what it cant do is replace a laptop. And here is why, in an age where even a phone can edit basic video, the ipad having no functionality is a bit daft although I assume the iPad would be a bit too slow for that, so I have to lug my huge Dell Studio XPS 1645 for that, the Keynote app is terrible of you live in a Microsoft world as comaptibility with PowerPoint is terrible, so I have to borrow a Mac to export my keynotes, the fact that it can't handle a media heavy word file, and the fact that the multitasking is rather tragic, not forgetting that in work you can't export to dropbox, instead having to export iWork.com with isn't as good. Coupled to the fact that it needs to be synced with a laptop, then it only really results in tKing the iPad and laptop rather than the laptop and five spare batteries.
    With a keyboard docking station I can easily see getting rid of my laptop, or have it sitting at home 4-5 days out of the week. I set up Quickbooks to run on a desktop at the home office, and as long as I can log in remotely to that, I really see no reason I couldn't get buy without my laptop. It really comes down to the ability to type fast to me on if I can do with/without a laptop.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast