Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by jemojc View Post
    another thing I just remembered... a tablet probably won't go a long way for replacing laptops the military uses in the field. I can't imagine a toughbook type device that's a tablet formfactor. Sand and dust on your nice glass screen? Heck no!! lol... We use laptops quite a bit in the army engineer core. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't love my whole company to own palm pre's or whatever's next.
    Curious then that HP are producing a millitary hardened pad to be available 2012 according to the rumour mill. They would have to make a seriously tough touch screen but I guess that is doable and there would be fewer moving parts than any laptop making it ideal to be thrown around a lot.
    I would think a tablet form factor would be a lot more usable "in the field" since lesser moving parts/lesser openings/ports etc. etc.

Back on track: My laptop broke a few months ago and I've just been waiting for this silly pad to be released so it can replace my broken laptop already...
    i don't believe i would replace my laptop but i would have to view the specs first
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    i don't believe i would replace my laptop but i would have to view the specs first
    Apparently you haven't been fully converted yet. It just needs to work. And if it doesn't you buy a bunch of accessories and try to make it work.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Back on track: My laptop broke a few months ago and I've just been waiting for this silly pad to be released so it can replace my broken laptop already...
    i'm in the same fix. my audio is out 80 % of the time, and no way to fix. i really hoping HP makes this robust enough to take up the slack.
    WHEW HEW! What a ride!
    Yes, it would most likely replace my HP Mini 1000
  7. END
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    Nope.

Will ANY tablet replace ANY of my full systems? Not likely. Would I like to be happily mistaken? Of course!

Bottom line for me: If HPalmPad cannot handle/edit AND network print common collegiate document types (PDF, RTF, DOC, PPT, XLS), I won't be buying one.
  9. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Sure they can. You have big HD's, 8 gigs ram, HD LCD screen, dedicated video card for gaming, wireless mouse, keyboard, DVD burner. What can the desktop do that the laptop can't?
    For the average consumer... not much.

But for a power user...
    Top ten things a desktop can do that a laptop can't:

10. Easily runs three 24" monitors...
    9. ...with all kinds of real-time shaded model views in action, thanks to a...
    8. ...6-gig video card capable of something like 1.3 BILLION triangles a second...
    7. ...along with Shader Model 5.0, OpenGL 4.1, and DirectX 11.
    6. Has four 300G SAS 15,000RPM hard drives...
    5. ...configured into two sets of raid-1 pairs...
    4. ...that are hot-swappable.
    3. Has eight cores running at 3.33Ghz, 32G of 1333 ram, and a 1100W power supply...
    2. ...allowing me to easily run another couple whole booted up virtual computers each doing their own thing in their own windows while still doing all the stuff mentioned in #9 above.

and finally, the number one thing a desktop can do that a laptop can't:

1. Do all the above without burning my legs!

xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    For the average consumer... not much.

But for a power user...
    Top ten things a desktop can do that a laptop can't:

10. Easily runs three 24" monitors...
    9. ...with all kinds of real-time shaded model views in action, thanks to a...
    8. ...6-gig video card capable of something like 1.3 BILLION triangles a second...
    7. ...along with Shader Model 5.0, OpenGL 4.1, and DirectX 11.
    6. Has four 300G SAS 15,000RPM hard drives...
    5. ...configured into two sets of raid-1 pairs...
    4. ...that are hot-swappable.
    3. Has eight cores running at 3.33Ghz, 32G of 1333 ram, and a 1100W power supply...
    2. ...allowing me to easily run another couple whole booted up virtual computers each doing their own thing in their own windows while still doing all the stuff mentioned in #9 above.

and finally, the number one thing a desktop can do that a laptop can't:

1. Do all the above without burning my legs!

xtn
    I don't know what any of that means but it seems pretty bada$$
    I'm not that interested in the tablet unless something jumps out at me and makes me buy it. I'm interested to see how it shapes up against the iPad though. Many people keep telling me to buy an iPad as it will be "used more than my laptop" but until I can install football manager and other software I can on my laptop then this tablet "computer" fad is just that.

Still, might pick one up though just to see what the fuss will be about. I seem to have more money than sense these days
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234