Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    It wont and never replace my desktop/laptop. I still want it.
    I remember people said the same thing about Laptop will never replace the desktop. If you look at the number, Laptop's been outselling desktop computer for awhile now. I have definately replaced my desktop long time ago. However, desktop is still popular. I think tablet won't replace laptop/desktop completely. But soon, more powerful tablet will release, and better apps, and tablet will co exist with laptop/desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I remember people said the same thing about Laptop will never replace the desktop. If you look at the number, Laptop's been outselling desktop computer for awhile now. I have definately replaced my desktop long time ago. However, desktop is still popular. I think tablet won't replace laptop/desktop completely. But soon, more powerful tablet will release, and better apps, and tablet will co exist with laptop/desktop.
    Laptops still can't completely replace desktops...

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post

Yes, laptops still can't completely replace desktops however in our building, no desktop in any of our cubicle. And I replaced desktop long time ago and never looked back. But the desktop never go away completely.

Tablet won't replace laptop/desktop, but like I said it will coexist very nicely. Who knows, next 5 years, company will hand out the tablet as our work pc, just like they give a laptop for the work machine. Have docking system with big monitor, keyboard. Work just like regular PC at work, and take out and take it home and work from home. It will be really nice.
    I need my desktop for photo editing. Sometimes gaming. My netbook is for school notes and such, but I want the PalmPad. I have been paying attention to how much I type on it my netbook versus how much I just view documents and click links, bookmarks, etc and a standard netbook with a keyboard is feeling more and more unnecessary, especially with the 'instant on' concept the tablet would introduce. Plus, it has a much bigger cool factor than a netbook. Or any piece of tech I an think of, really

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    as a record producer my laptops are integrated into my recording studio....cant do that with a tablet...
    In the end it comes down to software available...if they are that slow on the pad with software as on the pre...it won't replace anything and will be useless...besides being a geek...
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I never use my laptop outside of work so a PalmPad would be my device of choice for non-work related stuff. I would have to see if I could use it (depending on the functionality) for some work related activities. For me it would be an additional option.
    I currently use my laptop a lot. I don't see me buying a pad and throwing my perfectly good laptop on a shelf somewhere. However, if my laptop should ever stop working . . . i can see me getting the pad to replace it.

Old news, but my doctor carries a pad around and updates patient charts on the fly . . . as he talks with the patient. It has to be a big time saver.

ET
    Never, I just want to be able to read my textbooks and browse the web from anywhere in the apartment, not being tied down to a chair in front of my desktop.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    When pads pack the same computing power as a laptop, laptops will be replaced. They only add a keyboard and trackpad device which can be bought separately with bluetooth configuration. Until that day, the pad can't fully replace my laptop. I'm still waiting for the day my laptop replaces my desktop, but with video editing, voice recognition, Kinect and home automation, I think the desktop will have it's place for a long time. It allows relatively cheap computing power by trading on space.
    A PalmPad could replace my MacBook for most stuff I do ... which is surfing (surprise!). That will depend on how good I can write on a virtual keyboard though. I write quite a lot...

I have a desktop PC anyway for all computing heavy applications.
    look, a laptop is a very general device. any off the counter midrange laptop will satisfy the needs of nearly everyone, excluding maybe hardcore gamers or video professionals. You can install software that does what you want, and the os (whether mac, windows or linux) is fundamentally open and allows the user to customize and expand. while the use of a computer is standardized, the software any user installs on their own is not. that's the beauty of the modern computer: anyone can use it, but you can make it work for you specifically.
    a tablet is a whole different animal. even the ipad with its slew of applications is designed for a few simple tasks: web, email, music, videos, gaming, etc. if those happen to be your needs, then sure the ipad can replace your laptop. there are even lots of great apps that might allow it to replace the computers of, say, the casual photoshop user or the kid who types notes in class.
    but if you have a whole ecosystem that depends on the computer - take the Finder in macosx, say, or the Explorer in Windows, that simply can't be replicated. the sheer power of being able to do what you want with a desktop based GUI and a truly open app environment, I just don't see happening on a device with no keyboard and a touchscreen. Heres to hoping I get proved wrong on Feb. 9th.
    another thing I just remembered... a tablet probably won't go a long way for replacing laptops the military uses in the field. I can't imagine a toughbook type device that's a tablet formfactor. Sand and dust on your nice glass screen? Heck no!! lol... We use laptops quite a bit in the army engineer core. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't love my whole company to own palm pre's or whatever's next.
    depends on what all it can do
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    laptop would stay home, work laptop could stay at work and tablet would be a traveling, everywhere else device. (vacation, weekends, meetings, etc)
    I am also looking at using it at home as a media source (hook into flat screen monitor) . we got rid of cable and now hulu, sidereel, etc is my main TV source.
    I'm really crossing my fingers that the webos tablet will be able to handle that, unlike the ipad.
    WHEW HEW! What a ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post

Sure they can. You have big HD's, 8 gigs ram, HD LCD screen, dedicated video card for gaming, wireless mouse, keyboard, DVD burner. What can the desktop do that the laptop can't?
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    If it has a keyboard (bluetooth or attached), yes. The only thing I will need my laptop (or a desktop) for will be image/document scanning and image editing--and that's something I only do once in a while.

In fact, I'm already considering selling my netbook to get some cash for the PalmPad.
    Ditto. I sold my laptop and am waiting for my income tax refund.
    What the iPad sorely lacks is Flash. Without flash I can't use half the websites I like to visit. I know Apple downplays the importance of flash based sites, but after using an iPad for half a year, I sorely missed it and needed to boot my laptop in order to use certain pages. With Palmpad, so long as flash works, i'll be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Ditto. I sold my laptop and am waiting for my income tax refund.
    What a coincidence I'm waiting for yiur tax refund as well hint hint

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    maybe if I can VPN into my desktop, and also i have a keyboard,

but otherwise no

and even with the above, why? I could just use a laptop tethered to a smartphone.

not that it wouldn't be neat to have a fancy gadget like a tablet, just that it isn't going to replace a laptop for me, even if I kind of wish it could.
    There are four lights.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast