Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, this is one of the articles samples I have already sent to precentral freelancer news job. and it is fresh news. Do you like it ?

"HP Component shortage might delay a little full orders shipments for notebooks and webOS tablets PCs to early 2Q2011.

This week Digitimes reported on a post about a component shortage of CMOS sensors from Omnivision is said to be a culprit for the short shipments at HP , noting that Korea-based SETi, HP's another supplier for CMOS sensors, also failed to fulfill the supply gap left by Omnivision.

The shortage in the supply of CMOS sensors has been ubiquitous since January as smartphone and tablet PC makers are also looking for CMOS sensors in addition to notebook ODMs.

HP originally planned to take delivery of 3.5-3. million notebooks from suppliers in January, of which 2.3-2.4 million units would be household notebooks. But the vendor has lowered the shipment goal for household models to 2-2.1 million units for the month because of the component shortage.

HP aims to ship 10.2-10.4 million notebooks (including tablet PCs) in first-quarter 2011 with the shipments to peak in March, the sources indicated. Quanta Computer is currently the largest ODM maker for HP with orders from the top-ranking notebook vendor ranging from 1.2-1.9 million units a month.

Reason why HPs supplier Inventec's an smart hand-held devices maker of smartphones, smart pads and smart books, who has begun shipments of e-book readers (belonging to smart pads) and smartphones , will start shipping webOS tablet PCs in the second quarter of 2011.

We think the Topaz (aka PalmPad or Touch Pad) 9 inches webOS tablet will be available in the US market around April 2011 and maybe in other markets.

There are two HP events: One for February 9th Think Big, Think Small, Think Beyond and one for March 14th the “ March Summit Meeting “in which HP CEO Léo Apotheker is expected to unveil the company's new strategy. Analysts predict that Apotheker will shift more corporate focus to enterprise software and cloud computing.

Now we know why Leo Apotheker said : "HP will stop making announcements for stuff it doesn't have. When HP makes announcements, it will be getting ready to ship," as posted on precentral front page:
    Apotheker: HP to ship products within weeks of announcement, wants to sit at the cool kids table | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

The component shortage is because of the China Lunar Year Celebration and most of the Taiwan manufacturers have sent a great workers quantity to China, in order to keep on track their customers orders."

Note: There is also the Mobile Worldwide Congress 2011 in Feb 14-17 in Barcelona, where HP will demonstrate their passion and commitment to innovation and industry leadership in mobility, in areas including smartphones, devices, notebooks and netbooks. They will share new products, services and apps, including offerings from HP Palm, and demonstrate the leading HP webOS operating system, and the latest services from HP ePrint. They will focus on the work they are doing with application developers to provide customers with the ultimate in personalized experience. "

HP Booth - Hall 7, 7C37 | HP at MWC 2011
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/28/2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: clarified title and corrected spelling
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    HP YOU have got to be kidding me. Get your stuff made and THEEEEEN announce it. I tell you what. This is depressing. Palm is getting snowed AGAIN. Like the days of yore
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    HP YOU have got to be kidding me. Get your stuff made and THEEEEEN announce it. I tell you what. This is depressing. Palm is getting snowed AGAIN. Like the days of yore
    I am sorry to be the carry one of bad news. But the Topaz might be in the US in April 2011 and maybe in March they will have some, but not enough until then.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Preordering as soon as I can then.

Also, where is link to article?
    Wait a minute, this can't be so. All I hear on this forum is that this HP. HP is the largest computer manufacturer. Apple can't match HP when it comes to distribution and manufacturing resources. Apple cannot match HP when it comes to who brings in the most revenue, blah, blah, blah...

This is the statement that is so funny.

The component shortage is because of the China Lunar Year Celebration
    My questions is why didn't HP prepare for the China Celebration? Shouldn't this huge company with all these resources not have know that?

Meanwhile, Apple thought of the Chinese Celebration...

AppleInsider | Overseas manufacturers earn holiday triple pay to meet Apple's schedule

Workers at Apple's overseas manufacturing partner Pegatron will reportedly work through China's Lunar New Year for triple the pay in order to build new products for iPhone maker.
    That's the difference between a clueless, lumbering giant and Apple with it's laser like focus on EVERYTHING that they do.
    Last edited by SoFly; 01/28/2011 at 08:34 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Preordering as soon as I can then.

Also, where is link to article?
    You can read those news on these links:

1.- Quanta to start pilot production at Chongqing plants in March

2.-HP cuts January notebook shipment goal on component shortage, say sources DIGITIMES Archive Members only now.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    SoFly, I appreciate your remark, and yes it is sad that some people may not celebrate but I hope they have bountiful meals afterwards.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    this doesn't mean they won't ship any, it means they might not ship as many as they can sell. Happens to apple all the time.

A shortage is not th same as not available.

relax. Uncle Leo has a new lunch box to show us on the 9th!
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    I think most here when they talk about HP's "vast" resources, are meaning relative to what Palm's resources were, and not HP vs other tech co's.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    I am sorry to be the carry one of bad news. But the Topaz might be in the US in April 2011 and maybe in March they will have some, but not enough until then.
    IMHO you aren't the carrier of bad news, but I think the OP is based on a hasty conclusion. Shortage isn't the same as unavailable. We are 10 days from facts, and the CEO said they will ship. It's a bit provocative to take a possible shortage and project it to a conclusion that HP is repeating some past sin. Just sayin.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    How is it flaming, if it's true?

But, the comment of HP resources vs Apple's resources has been brought up enough times on this forum that I thought it was appropriate to talk about how Apple uses it's resources and HP doesn't theirs.
    lol. Even if it was true (i don't care), you don't call an ugly girl ugly and not get backlash from it.
    <<thread cleaned>>

OK, I've deleted all the posts about people so that the focus can be on technology. If posts don't meet the forum guidelines, they get deleted

Thanks!
  14.    #14  
    The link is now avaliable for members only but I have the original article of Inventec:

"Inventec aims at revenue growth of 30% in 2011, 100% in 2013

Taiwan-based ODM maker Inventec expects its 2010 consolidated revenues to increase by 30% in 2011 and double in 2013, according to company chairman and CEO Richard Lee.

Inventec also expects the proportion of consolidated revenues for product lines other than notebooks, mainly servers and smart hand-held devices, to rise from 22% in 2010 to 30% in 2011 and its production base in Chongqing, western China, to account for 30% of its total shipment volume of notebooks in 2011, Lee indicated.

Inventec's smart hand-held devices consist of smartphones, smart pads and smart books. Inventec begun shipments of e-book readers (belonging to smart pads) and smartphones and will start shipping webOS tablet PCs in the second quarter of 2011, Lee pointed out. According to industry sources, Inventec's development of smart books is related to Google Chrome book.

In order to tap the market of cloud computing products/services, Inventec has set up data centers in Taipei and Shanghai and is looking for a location to establish a third, Lee indicated.

Inventec expects its three main joint ventures, TPV-Inventa Technology (a maker of all-in-one PCs with China-based TPV Technology), Onkyo-Inventa (TianJin) (a maker of speakers used in notebooks with Japan-based Onkyo) and a polycrystalline silicon solar cell maker with Taiwan-based WIN Semiconductors, to generate combined revenues of US$1 billion in 2011, Lee pointed out."
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Meanwhile, Apple thought of the Chinese Celebration...

[url= | Overseas manufacturers earn holiday triple pay to meet Apple's schedule[/url]

That's the difference between a clueless, lumbering giant and Apple with it's laser like focus on EVERYTHING that they do.
    So your quote proves that Apple is a scumbag company that puts their revenue over the culture and well being of the people who work for them, got it.

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    With dozens of tablets coming out this year from dozens of manufacturers, I doubt anyone really knows when their hardware is going to ship with the likely exception of Apple. They have the ability to lock-in component supply because they are the only ones who know, for certain, that they will need XX million units this year. They explicitly said in their last earnings call that they laid out $3.9 billion to ensure component supply over the next two years.
    You'll need to clarify more than that. How is this different then a company saying to a supplier, "I need xx million pieces for my device. Here's a PO. What's your ETD?" Whether or not the company sells any devices doesn't matter because the supplier already agreed to the PO. What is Apple doing to ensure their supplier doesn't fail to meet their agreed ETD? (which is what has apparently happened to HP here)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    So your quote proves that Apple is a scumbag company that puts their revenue over the culture and well being of the people who work for them, got it.

I didn't know HP has all their stuff built in the good ole USA. You know, giving the American worker a high paying job so that they can live the American dream with a high wage and good benefits, etc.

That's because they don't. They are a scumbag company that puts their revenue over the American worker who only wants a livable wage. Instead they go to the cheapest bidder in China.

18.    #18  
    I think there have been a bunch of issues inside HP for handling out a new software like webOS and for introduce it in their big perspective or vision and in a hardware device according to times.

There were a lot tablets before and at CES 2011. HP did not announced something at that event , keeped conservative watching what brought the competition and IMHO they have to make some changes on the way in the webOs tablets prototypes.

I was trying to remember if apples iphone first device had some delays or shortages at the beginning first time as well. ? At that time Apple did not have all the money resources to make such triple salary payments to the workforce in Taiwan manufacturer , like now.

HP work by Business units divisions and webOS is part of one of them “Personal Systems” and it is just starting to produce with a new software for some currently devices that work now in Windows. This big huge project takes time and have to get profits in the near future.

Sometimes this situations happen for better than for worst, and I hope this experience will alert HP to avoid repeating this missed-step, anymore, when all the factors are controlled.
    There is no way HP could make adjustments to specs based on what others said at CES. They are well down the path by then because components have to be ordered ell in advance. That's clear from the info in the OP, that scheduling has to be considered far in advance. The first tech company I worked for was especially good at buying out production of key components for 12 month periods to slow competitors down. It was easier then because certain components (like LCD screens) were only made by a few companies. It's harder to corner the market on parts now. And lead times are long enough that HP knew by mid-2010 what each supplier was planning to produce throughout 2011. They may not know which specific components were headed to Apple vs HTC vs Motorola, but they sure know what was going to be produced. The only thing that HP could still adjust would be pricing and maybe a product name. Just sayin.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    That's easy. First of all, the company that's trying to sell the tablets is usually making a guess as to how much they may be able to sell - subject to change. They don't even have a tablet on the market yet. It's no secret that many of these tablets announced at CES will never make it to market - retailers aren't going to order all of them. If you're in business then you know that you have to look at who's buying in order to see how likely it is that you'll get paid.

Apple comes in and says "Forget about anything else you are planning to build. We'll be selling 8-10 million iPads per quarter and we'd like to pre-buy the rest of your capacity for the next two years and we'll front you the money to build your next factory to come on line in mid 2012. Here's a check." You literally don't even have to take that to the bank. It's from the bank of Apple with cash reserves of $50 billion. Is there any other company you could bet your life on that it will be doing that kind of tablet volume in two years?

I doubt Apple worries about demand for its products as much as it worries about supply problems.
    lol. An amusing scenario you painted there but it just says Apple can get an agreement with a supplier. Still doesn't solve the problem of the supplier not keeping up on their end of the agreement and missing an ETD.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast