Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 71 of 71
  1. #61  
    looks like that requires a subscripton...
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    You can watch downloaded movies from iTunes on your laptop or iPad, which has screens that are large enough when you're travelling, etc.

    And I'm talking about not having streaming available when you are NOT home.
    It's a changing world. On the local commuter train, they have WiFi. More and more flights are offering it as well. Planning an ecosystem around a non-connected world is pretty much "old school".
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    looks like that requires a subscripton...
    they also have a one time payment option if one would rather do that.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    You can watch downloaded movies from iTunes on your laptop or iPad, which has screens that are large enough when you're travelling, etc.

    And I'm talking about not having streaming available when you are NOT home.
    Yes, very true you can watch those things on your laptop and iPad all you want. Do you watch your fav TV show using your iPad or laptop? I don't. I -- who by the way, likes the idea of having TV and movies on the go on a phone -- has only watched a movie on a laptop once in my entire life. And it wasn't even my laptop, and it was really so me and my girlfriend could watch a movie alone (who now is my wife ).

    But yes, sure, you could. But then again, the iPad is really the only tablet that is not carrier subsidized and other tablets will be. You'll be able to watch Netflix just about anywhere you want on a Galaxy Tab. Or a Moto Xoom (is that what it is called?). So, the days of carrying a laptop around is going to get less and less and that still does leave your iPad. And even that CAN be 3G without a contract (it's just really expensive). So, again, you CAN watch Netflix -- on the go -- even with the iPad. You might come back and say well not many people have a 3G tablet (including iPad 3G) and won't be able to do that.

    Then I will say not many people carry a laptop with them every where they go. And finally -- if you like spending money on a iTunes and renting and or buying movies on iTunes, go ahead. I prefer not to unless it's free. Then again, that's not technically buying the content -- it's getting it free. Being a netflix subscriber, I only watched netflix on my Wii and or iMac (which is a 17 inch screen) and I only watched it on my iMac until Netflix came to my Wii. Once that happened I never watched it on my computer again. So please, don't come back and try to say that I am one of the few people who choose not to carry my laptop with me. Please don't tell me everyone who has an iPad buys it so they can watch iTunes movies while on the go. Some do, I am sure. But the majority of people who I know who bought one bought it for iBooks and Safari. And they love all the other app's they have.

    Anyway ...
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Kids watch a ton of videos on portable devices even when they are home and have a tv to watch. I know that from experience.

    All, I was saying is that with iTunes you have the ability to rent or purchase a movie that you can watch on a portable device when you are not home. I live in a major city and we still have a LONG way to go before wi-fi is ubiquitous. Something you can't do with streaming or watching over the net. Nothing more, nothing less.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    ???
    The Palm Pre was aanounced in January 2009. There were none available for shipment, to the public. It was released in June 2009.
    What does the time span between product announcement to release and releasing with far too few available units have to do with each other? (Hint: Nothing in this case) Keep up - I was responding to mikeisnowonfire's disbelief that HP could release a product with too few units in the supply chain.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire
    That's true. But they didn't talk about sending it out "within weeks" after their announcement. If you are going to talk about it that way, then it would just make you look stupid to not be prepared. Palm might have made that mistake, but this is HP we are talking about now.
    So Palm had months to prepare for release and screwed the pooch with a minuscule supply line and now there are hints that HP, with mere weeks between announcement and release, may have also screwed the same pooch that Palm did. It's quite conceivable. Being HP hardly makes them mistake proof - look at HP's recent Slate 500 release.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    What does the time span between product announcement to release and releasing with far too few available units have to do with each other? (Hint: Nothing in this case) Keep up - I was responding to mikeisnowonfire's disbelief that HP could release a product with too few units in the supply chain.
    Keep up??? <edited by moderator> I was correcting this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Why not? That's exactly what happened with the Palm Pre when it was first released in June 2007.
    The Palm Pre was released in June 2009. That was my point. Keep up.
  8. #68  
    note: it is farly common to launch with insufficient supply. It doesn't make sense to stockpile but rather to build/ship/sell in a 'just in time' fashion.

    the EVO wasn't easy to get (some places it was easier that others). Apple sometimes can't keep up with demand (they even ran out of bumpers for iPhone4)

    remember the Wii? Scarcity seemed to increase buzz and demand.

    Remember the Mazda Miata? Sold for well above sticker SRP for months until assembly caught up.

    at the end of the day, this is all speculation until the 9th, and then seeing what supply looks like once they start shipping whatever they announce.

    I'm going to assume that the glass is half full until facts are available to change those assumptons.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    note: it is farly common to launch with insufficient supply. It doesn't make sense to stockpile but rather to build/ship/sell in a 'just in time' fashion.

    the EVO wasn't easy to get (some places it was easier that others). Apple sometimes can't keep up with demand (they even ran out of bumpers for iPhone4)

    remember the Wii? Scarcity seemed to increase buzz and demand.

    Remember the Mazda Miata? Sold for well above sticker SRP for months until assembly caught up.

    at the end of the day, this is all speculation until the 9th, and then seeing what supply looks like once they start shipping whatever they announce.

    I'm going to assume that the glass is half full until facts are available to change those assumptons.
    I fully expect there to be shortages. I don't think they will be massive shortages (though they may well be), but I woldn't be surprised if those that just kind of wander into a store to buy the new devices find they're sold out.

    As I remember things, those that really wanted a Pre on the original release date were able to get one. I didn't even stand in line. Made an appointment for 2:00, showed up, got set up and was on my way.

    I also remember my daughter having to wait a couple of weeks for an iPhone 4. So, I'd have to say, temporary shortages aren't a game killer, even if they happen.
  10. #70  
    I hope this is not HP Slate drama again. Took them many months but when it's finally out, only 1000 were produced and none for the consumer market.

    But i have good feeling bout the TouchPad and will definitely be among the earlier adopters. WiFi only for me though.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandaq View Post
    I hope this is not HP Slate drama again. Took them many months but when it's finally out, only 1000 were produced and none for the consumer market.

    But i have good feeling bout the TouchPad and will definitely be among the earlier adopters. WiFi only for me though.
    Besides the probabilty of a component shortage. HP just bought Palm in August 2010, 6 months ago, and it is a short time to have all the things done for a new device like a tablet with webOS and with a new version 3.0. They have really rushed the first HP webos TouchPad with some things to be finished yet and with more apps to come, and besides the wi-fi version, they are expecting the 3G and 4G for a summer launch together.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions