Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    There is no way HP could make adjustments to specs based on what others said at CES. They are well down the path by then because components have to be ordered ell in advance. That's clear from the info in the OP, that scheduling has to be considered far in advance. The first tech company I worked for was especially good at buying out production of key components for 12 month periods to slow competitors down. It was easier then because certain components (like LCD screens) were only made by a few companies. It's harder to corner the market on parts now. And lead times are long enough that HP knew by mid-2010 what each supplier was planning to produce throughout 2011. They may not know which specific components were headed to Apple vs HTC vs Motorola, but they sure know what was going to be produced. The only thing that HP could still adjust would be pricing and maybe a product name. Just sayin.
    As HP is playing in a world market , One of the competitive advantages is differentiation from the competition, for that they have to compare with them, to get the differentiation. It also goes tied to aggregated value.

    Comparison with others is inevitable.

    By the other way I really hope as you HP just still need to adjust prices and the product name and shipments to come in queue and in time to supply customers orders.

    We are about a few days more for their first event in Feb 9, followed by Feb 14 and March 14., for to know what they will announce. I hope the best. Will see.
  2. #22  
    I'd assume that the CEO of Hewlett Packard had news of this turn of events -before- it trickled through to the mainstream tech media and then to the internet.

    I'd assume he knew about all this when he said that HP intends to ship within weeks of announcement in the future.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    So your quote proves that Apple is a scumbag company that puts their revenue over the culture and well being of the people who work for them, got it.

    You can't be serious. I've worked over holidays and the most I was offered was 2.5 times pay. Every service industry worker in America works holidays at some point. How is this disrespectful or scumbag behavior? I guess it's not flaming when Apple is the target.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sounds like someone is terribly excited about an article that says it's possibble there will be delays about product that hasn't even been officially announced yet.

    Sounds like someone's just a little defensive.

    And, "laser like focus on EVERYTHING that they do"? You're kidding, right?

    How's that Apple TV working for you these days? Would you like a few other examples.
    Name another Apple TV competitor that is doing better.

    I think Steve Jobs has said many times that it's very hard to compete with the cable companies when they give away the cable box for free or very cheaply per month.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You make something of a point. Didn't Apple have a problem with their factories using kids? Triple time, what's that, $3 a day?
    And how much do the workers that build the stuff for HP in China make per hour or day? Probably a similar amount that the workers that build Apple's stuff make.

    So, spare me.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I'd assume that the CEO of Hewlett Packard had news of this turn of events -before- it trickled through to the mainstream tech media and then to the internet.

    I'd assume he knew about all this when he said that HP intends to ship within weeks of announcement in the future.
    He sure knows now and will give us, exactly shipments devices dates worldwide
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Name another Apple TV competitor that is doing better.

    I think Steve Jobs has said many times that it's very hard to compete with the cable companies when they give away the cable box for free or very cheaply per month.
    Why bother with an Apple TV when the PS3, Xbox360, and several blu ray players are available?
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Why bother with an Apple TV when the PS3, Xbox360, and several blu ray players are available?
    Because those other devices can't play anything from the iTunes store.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Because those other devices can't play anything from the iTunes store.
    Take a look at this thread. Things could get interesting very soon. My panny blu ray player can access Amazon and something called Vudu I think although I've never tried it; I wonder if HP is tying its devices into Amazon:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pa...g-service.html
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Why bother with an Apple TV when the PS3, Xbox360, and several blu ray players are available?
    If you are already in the Apple ecosystem, it is the best Netflix experience. AirPlay is also compelling. I sling content from my Mac or iPad to my TV all the time. At $99, it is the most economical way to do that I have seen. It is worth it for that, alone.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I wonder if HP is tying its devices into Amazon:
    I suspect they have to. The alternative is to build an ecosystem from scratch. That is not going to happen. MS has been trying for years. Google is giving it a shot. HP doesn't stand a chance, so I suspect they will make some strategic alliances.

    The iTunes system is part of the secret sauce that has stumped the industry since the iPod. The Zune had the best chance, and we know where that ended up. Amazon is a distant second, third, not even close to iTunes in adoption. There simply has not been a good piece of hardware with tight integration to make a go of it. Perhaps HP can be the thing to make the Amazon services mainstream. We shall see.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Because those other devices can't play anything from the iTunes store.
    Say what?? Of course they can. I'm pretty sure my blue ray player can play purchase from iTunes that are not encrypted. I thought Apple dropped the encryption.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    ...
    The iTunes system is part of the secret sauce that has stumped the industry since the iPod. The Zune had the best chance, and we know where that ended up. Amazon is a distant second, third, not even close to iTunes in adoption. There simply has not been a good piece of hardware with tight integration to make a go of it. Perhaps HP can be the thing to make the Amazon services mainstream. We shall see.
    So all of these blue-ray players that are sellling, wonder where they're going to get their online media? I didn't see an "iTunes" app on my blue-ray player, but I did nee NetFlix, as well as several others. Not only that, there were a few on it when I bought it. As soon as I went to the menu system, it asked me if I wanted to update. When I did so, there were several new offerings. None of the iTunes.

    So if what SoFly says is true (and I'm sure he meant video, not music, which I know my blue-ray will play), and folks with these new devices want media; I wonder if they're suddenly going to buy into the Apple experience through some other hardware, when a simpler option is right there in front of them.

    As I keep saying, it's going to be fun. And no one is going to "own" this industry.
  14. rkguy's Avatar
    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    #34  
    I am sure many of you have already seen akitayo's post on the relatively soon shipments of the BB Playbook. I had thought that the PlayBook was coming After the Topaz

    In case you haven't read it: http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...ml#post2842561
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    I am sure many of you have already seen akitayo's post on the relatively soon shipments of the BB Playbook. I had thought that the PlayBook was coming After the Topaz

    In case you haven't read it: [url]
    that is a VERY missleading title

    the actual link says nothing at all about it shipping on early febuary. It only says it could ship as early as febuary, plus it's digitimes, a rumor, and hersay from an unknown "upstream supplier" talking about a different manufacturer.

    a better title would be

    "UNDISCLOSED MANUFACURER CLAIMS A DIFFERENT TIWANESE MANUFACURER MIGHT HAVE THE PLAYBOOK READY TO SHIP IN FEBUARY, ACCORDING TO TIWAN BASED GADGET RUMOR BLOG"

    that's a lot of salt to swallow.

    just like the parts rumors in this post, not much solid evidence to go on, possible yes, but so often these rumors start a game of mailman that ends in total garbage.
    Last edited by windzilla; 01/30/2011 at 02:18 AM.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Say what?? Of course they can. I'm pretty sure my blue ray player can play purchase from iTunes that are not encrypted. I thought Apple dropped the encryption.
    They dropped the DRM on music.

    Movies and TV shows rented or purchased from the iTunes store still contain DRM.
  17. #37  
    I don't understand why HP would be ready to ship so quickly and not have adequate supplies. Something doesn't add up...


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  18. #38  
    Unless they only ordered 5,000 of these things, I don't believe demand will outstrip supply for the first wave.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I don't understand why HP would be ready to ship so quickly and not have adequate supplies. Something doesn't add up...
    Why not? That's exactly what happened with the Palm Pre when it was first released in June 2007.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    They dropped the DRM on music.

    Movies and TV shows rented or purchased from the iTunes store still contain DRM.
    Ahhh, so then this statement was incorrect?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Because those other devices can't play anything from the iTunes store.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions