1.    #1  
    HP still pushing PalmPad trademark. Duo Pad is a webos notebook in the works.

Eweek is reporting that HP is still pushing for the PalmPad trademark, as some of the proprietary cases have seen with Palm Pad name on them:

“PalmPad” was reportedly a front-runner, though Fox reports that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office rejected this in October, along with the two-word “Palm Pad.” However, wrote Fox’s Clayton Morris, “I’m also hearing that proprietary cases have been seen with the palmPad name on them, which suggests HP is confident they’ll get the name pushed through.”

And according to a Ars Technica report the Duo Pad may be a webos notebook:

DuoPad may instead be the name of the WebOS-running netbook that HP reportedly has in the works, and according to a Jan. 17 report from Ars Technica will be part of a network of various form factors that will all seamless communicate with each other over the Internet.

Link: New HP WebOS Tablet Rumors Emerge: Report - Desktops and Notebooks - News & Reviews - eWeek.com
    Last edited by akitayo; 01/27/2011 at 10:37 PM.
    WebOS on a netbook...not sure how that would work out exactly. WebOS is for a touchscreen, a touchscreen is meant to be close and handled. Netbook form factor wants your hands to be on the keyboard, not the screen. Maybe they'll do something with a multi-touch touchpad (mousepad) instead, but it's not obvious how to translate the webOS experience to a keyboard and touchpad. It could be done, but it's something different than what we've used up to this point.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    WebOS on a netbook...not sure how that would work out exactly. WebOS is for a touchscreen, a touchscreen is meant to be close and handled. Netbook form factor wants your hands to be on the keyboard, not the screen. Maybe they'll do something with a multi-touch touchpad (mousepad) instead, but it's not obvious how to translate the webOS experience to a keyboard and touchpad. It could be done, but it's something different than what we've used up to this point.
    The source said a DUO PAD notebook., maybe to make the difference to the Dells Inspiron Duo Tablet netbook:

or a a two touch screen notebook like the Toshiba Libretto W100 Dual-Screen Laptop PC:

Last edited by akitayo; 01/27/2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: more information
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    The source said a DUO PAD notebook., maybe to make the difference to the Dells Inspiron Duo Tablet netbook:

I had forgotten about this.....it would be sweet!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by makatram View Post
    I had forgotten about this.....it would be sweet!
    I would prefer the two touch screen DUO PAD like the Toshiba Libretto. It was launched in a limited edition. Now a webos device like that will be a hit. wow
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I could see this working well if the keyboard was something that could be folder up out of the way in some fashion when not in use (like the old convertible tablet laptops, but smaller).

If you want a productivity focussed device that could be used for large scale document creation/editing then you are going to want a physical keyboard and a way to hold the screen at the right angle. If, however, you want to do mostly content consumption, then you want the keyboard out of the way.

I would hazzard a guess that that is what the 'Duo' bit means, two modes of operation, and it would certainly appeal to the enterprise sector where HP has a strong presence already.

Just so long as it has a full java implementation so I can remote in to my work desktop via our secure web app then count me in.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Madness, whatever happens in the tablet space, a netbook will go straight in the dustbin. Windows has that space completely and utterly stitched up.

As for duopad - sounds like a sanitary product.
    DuoPad - Thinking something along the lines of that product Microsoft had for a while but canned? Would be pretty awesome if you could have it like two tablets and when the keyboard is needed, it pops up on one of the sides and you can set it down to type on a VK. -- Now after I type all this I see the Toshiba video. Something like that, only you can see it working much differently with WebOS.

I think I'd rather have a tablet, but I think that idea would be REALLY cool and very appealing if you could have stylus recognition like that MS product did.
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    DuoPad - Thinking something along the lines of that product Microsoft had for a while but canned? Would be pretty awesome if you could have it like two tablets and when the keyboard is needed, it pops up on one of the sides and you can set it down to type on a VK. -- Now after I type all this I see the Toshiba video. Something like that, only you can see it working much differently with WebOS.

I think I'd rather have a tablet, but I think that idea would be REALLY cool and very appealing if you could have stylus recognition like that MS product did.
    Courier

HP webOS was made for touch devices, so I would be curious to see how they would scale it to a netbook.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    As much as I love the keyboardless dual screen designs, I think we won't see them truly come into fruition until flexible displays become a larger reality.

The annoyance with the dual screen designs now is that you've got two bezels going, which means you're stuck with...well...two screens. You can make them "continuous" but that never feels right when there's a giant block of black between the two.

Flexible display technology would allow you to get rid of that bezzle, letting the single screen run the length of it. This would be, by far, the most ideal form factor in my eyes. Have it open like a laptop to have a near full size keyboard flat on a surface with an upright monitor. Open it completely and you have a large, continous tablet.

I'd love WebOS on something like that, but I think its a ways away.

I think a webOS netbook could work, all it would take would be adding the ability for the OS to animate a mouse pointer of some kind. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. That said, for a netbook to work it'd need two things in my mind. First, they have to get a legitimate office compatible productivity suite. There's no reason for a netbook over a tablet other than a keyboard, which is most used for typing. Second, and I think they need this for a tablet as well, is the ability to have two cards open at the same time either on top of each other or next to each other. A linear, one program viewable at a time, layout is fine for a phone but is ridiculous for a laptop.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    As much as I love the keyboardless dual screen designs, I think we won't see them truly come into fruition until flexible displays become a larger reality.

The annoyance with the dual screen designs now is that you've got two bezels going, which means you're stuck with...well...two screens. You can make them "continuous" but that never feels right when there's a giant block of black between the two.

Flexible display technology would allow you to get rid of that bezzle, letting the single screen run the length of it. This would be, by far, the most ideal form factor in my eyes. Have it open like a laptop to have a near full size keyboard flat on a surface with an upright monitor. Open it completely and you have a large, continous tablet.

I'd love WebOS on something like that, but I think its a ways away.

I think a webOS netbook could work, all it would take would be adding the ability for the OS to animate a mouse pointer of some kind. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. That said, for a netbook to work it'd need two things in my mind. First, they have to get a legitimate office compatible productivity suite. There's no reason for a netbook over a tablet other than a keyboard, which is most used for typing. Second, and I think they need this for a tablet as well, is the ability to have two cards open at the same time either on top of each other or next to each other. A linear, one program viewable at a time, layout is fine for a phone but is ridiculous for a laptop.
    Good point about the office compatible productivity suit, and about that I think some developers like QuickOffice will evolve to design their app to larger screens with the Enyo, Next Generation webOS App Framework
    Whatever the mark, it's probably chosen already. The CEO said they wouldn't announce vaporware and if they are going to announce non-vaporware on the 9th, they've already got a name and are beginning production.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Whatever the mark, it's probably chosen already. The CEO said they wouldn't announce vaporware and if they are going to announce non-vaporware on the 9th, they've already got a name and are beginning production.
    Totally agree with you.