Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think "high-end" vs "low-end" was the point of contention, not the number of offerings.
    I'd argue that my 24" HP display and my HP laser printer are high end. HP sells a variety of stuff. $50 printers and rock solid PCs.

My oldest brother has an HP media notebook that is an absolute monster. Everything you might want in a desktop like dual drives, advanced graphics, etc, but it runs on batteries. It wasn't any cheaper than it would have been to buy an apple. It's still high end and it's almost 2 years old.
    Now, let's get back to the idea of a loss leader. If we've exhausted that topic, we can move on to the next thread. Eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think I mentioned numbers in my comparison. Apple's laser printers were more expensive (slightly) than comparable HPs, but one can't say that HP was undercutting Apple, since they were selling theirs first. Apple just tried to go head to head, and failed. I don't base that on numbers, but on the simple fact that one company is selling laser printers, and the other is not.

Sorry, but having the highest caliber of something (especially when that designation is very much subjective) doesn't mean something succeeded in the long run.

I'm not familiar with the Envy line of laptops, so I don't know if it's a comparable product to the Apple MacBook Pro. Apple very well may be been more successful than the Envy, I don't speak to it because I don't know anything about it.
    Apple was not competing with HP in selling their printers to the same market as HP. Apple sold their printers for people that wanted an APPLE printer to go with their APPLE Macintosh. Apple was not selling their printers expecting people that bought a cheap PC to go out and buy an expensive Apple printer.

Just like today, Apple doesn't expect someone that bought a cheap HP desktop PC to go out and buy the expensive $1000 Cinema Display.

When Steve Jobs came back to Apple in 1997. He got rid of a lot of stuff that Apple didn't need to focus on to get back to their core competencies, getting rid of printers was one of them. Not, because HP sold more printers than Apple.
    Meanwhile, back on topic...
    Well, the topic has been resolved for the most part. What else is there to do but bicker?
    True. Maybe time to close it?
    close it
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I guess we will find out, today, whether the webOS pad will be sold as a loss-leader.
    I don't think so. All we can expect to know is the price HP is asking for the device. They will not say, "Oh, by the way, we are taking a $200 loss on every unit." The stock market would quickly punish that kind of foolishness.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I don't think so. All we can expect to know is the price HP is asking for the device. They will not say, "Oh, by the way, we are taking a $200 loss on every unit." The stock market would quickly punish that kind of foolishness.
    We could, however, find out if it there is something for it to be a loss leader to, like an ecosystem or subscription services for the tablets.
    or build quality. If i falls appart on the presentation it is not a loss leader
    Yep. I fully expect some type of ecosystem. Even I am looking forward to seeing the announcement.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Exactly. On consoles, Microsoft and Sony are getting $8-12 per title, plus whatever they negotiate for extra controllers, cables, etc. HP would get far, FAR less than that on the comparative meager amount of apps sold. If they can't make money off the hardware, where would they make it? Cloud subscriptions? If Apple can't even get the majority of iOS users to pay for MobileMe, I doubt HP is going to turn their offering into a cash cow.
    One reason is that mobileme is hardly a compelling product.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789