Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Very interesting article on Betanews - 5 things every tablet needs to succeed - 5 things every tablet needs to succeed | Tech Gear News - Betanews
    1. Right price. Apple has set entry price at $499. Contenders must go lower, to open up mass-market competition and rapidly gain share against iPad.
    2. No carrier commitment.
    3. Broad distribution.
    4. Massive marketing.
    5. The right applications -- not the highest number.

I agree almost completely and hope Palm has also read this article and tries to avoid negatives like carrier commitment and subsidizes that basically have lead to the Galaxy Tab demise or lack of success.

Actually, Palm could simply come out with both Cellular and WIFI only options (like we suspect they will) and then allow those that need Cellular service and carrier subsidize and lower price-points for use who don't want or need these options.

HP has the background and support to accomplish all of the above and hopefully they'll use their "Largest Computer Manufacturer" and muscle to motivate these efforts. I'm hoping and praying! Sorli...
    A carrier commitment is only a bad thing if you have to pay extra to use the device. If Dan Hesse wasn't BSing us, Sprint will be announcing this year a plan that will include one fee for data for all your devices. That means you could technically pay $60 and that would be for all you devices -- lets say up to six -- and then you pay a fee for your minutes/texting.

I think that would be a first in the industry. And I think that would mean I would actually buy a Galaxy Tab, or an HP Topax with Sprint 4G (or Playbook 4G).

But I also hopes that the tablets have the right applications, massive marketing, and the right price.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    If Dan Hesse wasn't BSing us, Sprint will be announcing this year a plan that will include one fee for data for all your devices. That means you could technically pay $60 and that would be for all you devices -- lets say up to six -- and then you pay a fee for your minutes/texting.
    Oh I hope you are correct...I think Sprint rocks and would love to have better and less expensive options especially now that tablets and cloud support is on the horizon. Thanks for the insight. Sorli...
    Frys has a 7" Android tablet for $169 in stock locally. That's what I call being priced competitively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Frys has a 7" Android tablet for $169 in stock locally. That's what I call being priced competitively.
    This is the problem, not the solution. I disagree with the notion that Apple has to be used as the template for everything, including price. If the sales pitch is, "It's just like an iPad, only cheaper!" you've already lost. Even price-conscious people don't want junk.

If it is like an iPad, and priced anywhere near an iPad, people will just buy the iPad. If you are trying to make something like an iPad, you have already acknowledged that what people want is an iPad. Simply making it cheaper only highlights to the consumer that what you are selling is just a cheap knock-off of what they actually want.

If cheap is what sold, every KIRF manufacturer in Asia would lead the market in sales. They don't. You have got to throw away the iPad's price as a benchmark, and build the best product possible. Throw out the iPad's size and weight. Do your own darned research, and come up with the perfect size and weight for the formfactor. That is how to out Apple, Apple.

I assure you, Apple didn't start with HP's failed slates as a template. It is high time companies get over their Apple fetish and do a little original research and design. That is what will get the market's attention. Otherwise, the only choice will ever be the iPad, and the thing that wishes it was the iPad.
    all a tablet needs is the right smartphone companion
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I agree almost completely and hope Palm has also read this article and tries to avoid negatives like carrier commitment and subsidizes that basically have lead to the Galaxy Tab demise or lack of success.
    This is a nice partial list, but it doesn't even begin to get at the core of the challenge. I suppose if one assumes the device will have:

a. Good-to excellent performance for all intended functions.
    b. Excellent to outstanding engineering and build quality.
    c. A reason for being in the first place - like as a functioning part of an existing ecosystem for example.

...then the points made by the article's author might begin to make sense.

...even though they don't:

1. Right price: Good luck achieving "a" and "b" above with a sub-$100 tablet.
    2. Carrier commitment: Say goodbye to "right price" without that carrier subsidy.
    3. Broad distribution: How hard could it be? It was the linchpin in Palm's successful Pre and Pixi campaigns.
    4. Massive marketing: Make for cheap, sell for next-to-nothing, avoid subsidies, but somehow hold aside a ton of money to heavily advertise the cheap, unconnected device? Ingenious. I wonder why everybody doesn't simply do this with every cheap device?
    5. The right applications... whatever that means. Right for who? You/ Me? The author of the article? And out one side of his mouth he poo-poos the seeming excess of 300,000 apps while out the other side he lauds the sale of 10 billion - or put another way: ten thousand million apps. I wonder which of those 300,000 apps were "the right applications" that sold so well?

Nope - not so good of an article.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

I assure you, Apple didn't start with HP's failed slates as a template. It is high time companies get over their Apple fetish and do a little original research and design. That is what will get the market's attention. Otherwise, the only choice will ever be the iPad, and the thing that wishes it was the iPad.
    I agree. That's why I'm intrigued by the Notion Ink Adam tablet. But, the first question is what's the goal? Do you want to be an eReader? Do you want to be an entertainment machine? Do you want to be a web device? Do you want to be an entertainment machine? Do you want to do it all and control market share in each category?

HP needs to answer these questions and then conceptualize the ecosystem that makes that possible. Do they create the ecosystem or borrow like Notion Ink did by choosing Android?

I want HP to own enough of the corporate market with WebOS that IT departments have to support it. Not sure how they best do that, but I'd like a 4G LTE Pre along with my Notion Ink form factor WebOS-powered tablet.

All of these would work with a synergy layer on Windows apps beyond Outlook. Verizon would charge me one fee for 4G LTE service for one phone, one tablet and one laptop. I'd have a touchstone dock for phone and tablet at home, work, car. I could just create, edit, review, print, send seamlessly from, between and among devices.

Then they'd get really smart and make a deal to get into my through FiOS and home automation.

I can dream.
    Honestly I wish that HP would hire me as an educational consultant. I have presented to state leaders on technology in the educational settings on a few occasions. I have ipads now, they are awesome, but present many issues that could be easily addressed. I could so help them tailor a webos tablet to shine in the classroom, and it would be minor code changes and enhancements.
    Oh I hope you are correct...I think Sprint rocks and would love to have better and less expensive options especially now that tablets and cloud support is on the horizon. Thanks for the insight. Sorli...
    I hope I am correct. Full Interview Video of Sprint Nextel's Dan Hesse at D: Dive Into Mobile | Kara Swisher | BoomTown | AllThingsD <-- look at that.

As a note. I didn't know these forums auto name URL's. Thats cool.
    This is the problem, not the solution. I disagree with the notion that Apple has to be used as the template for everything, including price. If the sales pitch is, "It's just like an iPad, only cheaper!" you've already lost. Even price-conscious people don't want junk.

If it is like an iPad, and priced anywhere near an iPad, people will just buy the iPad. If you are trying to make something like an iPad, you have already acknowledged that what people want is an iPad. Simply making it cheaper only highlights to the consumer that what you are selling is just a cheap knock-off of what they actually want.

If cheap is what sold, every KIRF manufacturer in Asia would lead the market in sales. They don't. You have got to throw away the iPad's price as a benchmark, and build the best product possible. Throw out the iPad's size and weight. Do your own darned research, and come up with the perfect size and weight for the formfactor. That is how to out Apple, Apple.

In theory, what you have said makes perfect sense. In the real world, not so much. Every tech reviewer, especially Walt Mossberg is going to compare every single tab to the Ipad. Right or wrong that is what is going to happen. So what happens when in the reviewers eyes your pad doesn't measure up to Ipad? It's get dead-panned and that is the end of your pad.

Potential buyers of any pad are naturally going to wonder if the pad they're considering does what the Ipad does. If you're a pad builder and you're not at least taking into account the leader when you're developing your pad, I would say that the lead product manager isn't doing his or her job.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    This is the problem, not the solution. I disagree with the notion that Apple has to be used as the template for everything, including price. If the sales pitch is, "It's just like an iPad, only cheaper!" you've already lost. Even price-conscious people don't want junk...
    THIS.
  13.    #13  
    I guess I see where you are coming from...but if Apple can build 5 Million pieces of junk and the sheep buy them do you really think they care?

Actually someone needs to do a parody of how Apple has invent H20 and because it has Apple on the bottle you'll lose 10 pounds and magically become smarter.

What's scary is the fact that some people actually think this way. I love Macs, but gave up drinking the Kool Aid years ago. Sorli...
    IWhat's scary is the fact that some people actually think this way. I love Macs, but gave up drinking the Kool Aid years ago. Sorli...
    "Love" for an inanimate object would be one of the Kool Aid-drinking warning signs. I find my Macs useful, but love them? Not so much.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Honestly I wish that HP would hire me as an educational consultant. I have presented to state leaders on technology in the educational settings on a few occasions. I have ipads now, they are awesome, but present many issues that could be easily addressed. I could so help them tailor a webos tablet to shine in the classroom, and it would be minor code changes and enhancements.
    You should apply...I'm sure your experience would serve one (1) of those 100 positions HPalm is advertising.

Either way, HP needs to step-up else they'll get squashed in the Apple iPad flourishing educational market. Sorli...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    "Love" for an inanimate object would be one of the Kool Aid-drinking warning signs. I find my Macs useful, but love them? Not so much.
    True so true, but flip the coin and give Windows a try, get infected (it will happen), and spend 10 hours cleaning off Malware/Spyware.

Thankfully this what I do for a living, and it was getting so bad last year I started offering free classes at my Church so users could learn how to deal and prevent infected computers.

I guess I think about tech and love what service they provide like some think of their cars...all a matter of perspective. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    5. The right applications... whatever that means. Right for who? You/ Me? The author of the article?
    Almost all of them. The right applications to appeal to the wide range of interests of consumers. Whether it's sports, entertainment, enterprise applications, finance, etc. The answer to right for who is "Right for almost all of them?" You obviously can't be all things to all people but you're product can't just appeal to the man, woman, nerd, jock, etc.

If it is like an iPad, and priced anywhere near an iPad, people will just buy the iPad.
    agree. i think that goes for cell phones too. i think if all you offer the customer is just as good. people will buy something else. specs and features wise you have to give more then then competition. I think it's like when people say respond to a complaint about lack of apps with just go to the mobile website. Well that's not a solution. If it is i can do that on the other guys phone and have the app. I might as well just get the other guys phone. But most important in my opinion to apples success is the slick minimalist look of it's products, the entire cohesive ecosystem of selling media, its software platform, etc. All off that is part of the user experience that you don't get with say a blackberry or a kindle or most similar competitor devices.

If you are trying to make something like an iPad, you have already acknowledged that what people want is an iPad.
    honestly i think the reality is what apple offers is usually a lot of what people want. It's been a while since they released the ipod. i think there's a reason why most of the competition have copied many elements. Its' a good design. I don't think its a surprise you see cell phones with icons on a page. it works. I'm not surprised like the nook went color after the ipad. People like that. I think to succeed they really do have to emulate tons of stuff the ipad did. Because the ipad got to market first and set the standard. But as the standard now the competition has to offer a significantly better user experience. I'm not sure i've seen, at least in the tablet space, anyone getting close yet. But maybe the stuff at ces will change my mind.
    All it needs is the ability to throw cards around .. here.. there.. off the screen to that person over there... off the screen and back again (that ones called the boomerang!)

"here you go :flick: oh oh nope look it came back:3"

Build Quality should be #6

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I guess I see where you are coming from...but if Apple can build 5 Million pieces of junk and the sheep buy them do you really think they care?
    But they don't. Apple made good products, atleast for Iphone, Itouch and Ipad. They got great build quality, and everything just works. That's the magic that people love with Apple. Not the Apple logo. Big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    But they don't. Apple made good products, atleast for Iphone, Itouch and Ipad. They got great build quality, and everything just works. That's the magic that people love with Apple. Not the Apple logo. Big difference.
    i think if someone seriously think sthat apple makes all bad products and doesn't understand why they sell so well they are delusional. It's like if you're girlfriend insists Natalie Portman is **** ugly. It's like, "Really? Come on." They just don't get it or don't want to get it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast