Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Email will be one of the most used app, the email app now on webOS is not good:

1, slow, it's generally much slower than email client or browser on any other platform in retrieving emails, sometimes takes minutes.this is just unacceptable. Deleting an email account is even worse, sometimes takes hours. Why so slow?

2, doesn't added all new email contact automatically, shouldn't synergy do this? If I have to add my email contact manually, whats the advantage of webOS?

3, lack of important functions, no multiple selections
    Yes, I agree totally but this needs to be across the whole of webOS devices, not just the pads.

It constantly annoys me that I cannot multi-select messages (to move or delete them) and not handling attendees to meetings is also a PITA (needs tight integration with the calendar app). There are patches that help in many areas but not the above.
    Check out this video... If you jump to around the 16 min mark, you may find what you are searching for.... Enyo email app.

EDIT: I should add that in an earlier portion of that video, they are talking about advantages of Enyo. One advantage was that an app that would take up to 7-8 seconds to open in Mojo would only take 1 second with Enyo. Also, Enyo has hardware acceleration, so all scenes are rendered at once, so in the case of the new email app, 3-4 scenes are rendered in ~300ms.
    Last edited by sinime; 01/27/2011 at 10:28 AM.
    I do agree. It's funny that email is probably the easiest app they can make yet somehow so many companies -- not only Palm -- don't get it right. I use to think BlackBerry being "the best email" phone was really a "meh" feature. That was until I gave up my Blackberry and saw how much I actually used that app, and how now I don't have that type of functionality it is the single missed app from my Blackberry. Here is to hoping that Palm/HP blows us aways with their email app.
    I'm pretty surprised there are no third-party email clients. There were several for PalmOS. The biggest thing I miss is the ability to send plain text. Why must everything be HTML?
    To be honest, the issues with the Pre email were the thing about the phone that annoyed me the most.

When I had a long chat going and it would lag or freeze it drove me crazy. And I use my email that way about 6 nights of the week.
    L

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    To be honest, the issues with the Pre email were the thing about the phone that annoyed me the most.

When I had a long chat going and it would lag or freeze it drove me crazy. And I use my email that way about 6 nights of the week.
    L

Sent from my eVo
    That happened to me frequently as well... A "long" chain of about 10 to 15 emails would freeze my phone up. I gave up and started using the Gmail mobile site instead.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    I'm not a huge fan of the webOS email app, but I'm not seeing the first two issues posed by the OP. I find it to be very fast (overclocked of course). That includes multiple POP and IMAP accounts, and an EAS account until a few months ago. Make sure you are overclocked and your apps will be soooo much snappier!

Contacts are easy to upload in a single motion from the old phone, outlook, yahoo mail, etc. so I rarely have to add one. BTW, the reason you can't do that from the phone is largely because not all on-line services allow for that. For example, you can't add or edit facebook or yahoo contacts from a phone. That's not a webOS limitation.

I really hope the OP isn't putting contacts into the palm profile...

On the third point, I agree that we need the features that we had with the Treo/Centro phones. That included selecting multiple messages, purging all read messages, purging messages between specific dates, etc.

I'm confident that we will see these things from Palm or HomeBrewers once 2.x is released because the APIs needed for that will be finalized in that version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    That happened to me frequently as well... A "long" chain of about 10 to 15 emails would freeze my phone up. I gave up and started using the Gmail mobile site instead.

I'd end up copying the subject line and starting a new, empty email. Made it a pain to archive conversations.

I definitely don't miss that.

Our movie watching has gotten much easier.

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the webOS email app, but I'm not seeing the first two issues posed by the OP. I find it to be very fast (overclocked of course). That includes multiple POP and IMAP accounts, and an EAS account until a few months ago. Make sure you are overclocked and your apps will be soooo much snappier!

Contacts are easy to upload in a single motion from the old phone, outlook, yahoo mail, etc. so I rarely have to add one. BTW, the reason you can't do that from the phone is largely because not all on-line services allow for that. For example, you can't add or edit facebook or yahoo contacts from a phone. That's not a webOS limitation.

On the third point, I agree that we need the features that we had with the Treo/Centro phones. That included selecting multiple messages, purging all read messages, purging messages between specific dates, etc.

I'm confident that we will see these things from Palm or HomeBrewers once 2.x is released because the APIs needed for that will be finalized in that version.
    Overclocked on my Pre, it would take 4 minutes on Gmail, with push, to receive an email from a mobileme account.

On my Evo, I get it in seconds.

Sent from my eVo
    I find no problem with the email app as is. I use Yahoo mail and it works fine. Mine is just for personal use and not business that may be the difference. I only have 20 or son in my inbox at any one time.
    I'd like to add that it Should have the capability to Compress or thread conversations like it does in Gmail. I want to always see the newest email and see that I have 1 new email in a certain thread not 20 of the same thing. I LOVE google for this.
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    My pre gets email before my android dowsy? Its a crap program though I agree. I hope google makes a gmail app
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    A little off topic, but why? Wouldn't you want your contacts to be backed up to the cloud? Isn't that the whole point so that you don't end up being the annoying person who sends out those "I lost my phone and all my contacts, so text me your name" messages?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    A little off topic, but why? Wouldn't you want your contacts to be backed up to the cloud? Isn't that the whole point so that you don't end up being the annoying person who sends out those "I lost my phone and all my contacts, so text me your name" messages?

So far, the Palm profile has been unreliable, plus you can't access what's in it, in addition, it can ONLY be accessed from another Palm webOS device. If you switch phones, you're out of luck.

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post

The Palm Profile is known to be pretty unreliable. Storing contacts in your Google account is much safer.

Gmta!

Sent from my eVo
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Gmta!

Sent from my eVo

I have to agree, the email app is the weakest app on the phone, i get a lot of emails for work. I am overclocked, but it does not matter, some html emails take up to 12 seconds to load. seems almost like the app does not get the body of the email till requested.
    Sometimes i just end up closing the email app to open it again.. Also i can tell when its retrieving in the background, it slows the whole phone to a crawl.
    Email speed is fine with exchange, but the calendar needs some serius work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast