Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    A little off topic, but why? Wouldn't you want your contacts to be backed up to the cloud? Isn't that the whole point so that you don't end up being the annoying person who sends out those "I lost my phone and all my contacts, so text me your name" messages?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
    I personally don't use the Palm account because I already use gmail & I wanted contacts in my gmail account anyway. Seems natural to do that. The problem I run into is I add notes in Contacts (web) & the formatting is screwy in webos. Also, Universal Search isn't when it comes to notes in Contacts. And I can export to back up periodically. I don't trust any default cloud service as a rule anymore than I trust and 1 copy stored locally.

And, ANY of the contact options on webOS are cloud based, not just Palm. The Palm option just gives you the least direct access ( editing).

<Sigh>
    I miss PalmDesktop.
    /brokenrecord

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    My pre gets email before my android dowsy? Its a crap program though I agree. I hope google makes a gmail app
    Similarly my pre tends to beat my outlook and often the forwarding to my work outlook. That said, I have my own domain and IMAP service via dreamhosts so all my mail goes across the pond and back. It typically takes a few second for the round trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    A little off topic, but why? Wouldn't you want your contacts to be backed up to the cloud? Isn't that the whole point so that you don't end up being the annoying person who sends out those "I lost my phone and all my contacts, so text me your name" messages?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
    as others have said, backup is more effective if done to an internet account or pc. If it's important/business, I sync with outlook using pocket miror. Everything else goes to hotmail, etc.

the issue is that anything in the palm profile isn't accessible from a browser or any method other than the phone. Can't look to verify it's really backed up, can't export the calendar, etc.

until it has web access and export, you are better off (IMHO) syncing to any other service and let the palm profile take care of catalog purchases and not touch any PIM data.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Cantaffordit: +1 --> I would add to that: the benefit of cloud data is the ability to easily hook into it from multiple sources (phone, web GUI, Outlook, etc....) without needing to sync since your data is in one place. Since the Palm profile is really a closed-loop (Palm --> phone only), most of the cloud-data benefits are lost.

Adding to the thread of eMail concerns: the mail app doesn't reliably render in-line images from an eMail. Sometimes, it does it well (shows in-line & can be zoomed, panned, etc..), but, other times, the images are represented by a blank line and no attachments I can download/view.

The last business trip I made, I brought my trusty Pre+ AND a BB with me (both pulling from the same IMAP eMail). As an experiment, I put the BB away and tried using only the WebOS mail app. I ran into this attachment issues and other mail frustrations about 1/2 way through the first day --> I'm sad to say I ended up putting my Pre+ aside and used mail on the BB for the rest of the trip.

That said: don't get me wrong. My Pre+ remains my daily-use PDA + phone, but, they still haven't managed to make it enterprise-friendly yet. I have lots of hope that will change soon (Feb 9 +)........
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    i have two accounts with around 9@ mails per account. As is set up the mailaccount my pixi received 50 mails at once - no problem at all.

what is bugging me: when you click at refresh the mails always appear a few second after refresh finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Email will be one of the most used app, the email app now on webOS is not good:

1, slow, it's generally much slower than email client or browser on any other platform in retrieving emails, sometimes takes minutes.this is just unacceptable. Deleting an email account is even worse, sometimes takes hours. Why so slow?

2, doesn't added all new email contact automatically, shouldn't synergy do this? If I have to add my email contact manually, whats the advantage of webOS?

3, lack of important functions, no multiple selections
    Not that important as most people can use web access on a tablet. The BIG thing they need to improve is document handling. All the MS/Open Office documents as well as PDFs need to be improved. And that includes creating/editing (without paying extra for that).
    i agree
    question regarding people with multiple email addresses. My dad has two addresses. How do I know which one he sent it from when I get an email from him?
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    question regarding people with multiple email addresses. My dad has two addresses. How do I know which one he sent it from when I get an email from him?
    click on the senders name... and it should open up in a "contact window"
    it should display the email address that they sent it from... no other contact information.
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post
    click on the senders name... and it should open up in a "contact window"
    it should display the email address that they sent it from... no other contact information.
    Thanks for trying to help, but when I click on the sender, in my my case the name says Mom and Pops (that's how their contact is stored), it just opens up their contact and shows both email addresses along with all of the other info under said contact.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Not that important as most people can use web access on a tablet. The BIG thing they need to improve is document handling. All the MS/Open Office documents as well as PDFs need to be improved. And that includes creating/editing (without paying extra for that).
    Completely agree about the document handling. That is my only complaint with webOS vs other mobile OS's I have used, the inability to edit office docs.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Wow. I'm surprised by this thread. I switched to the Epic, last fall, and the email apps on Android are what is driving me away more than anything else. I want to switch back to the Pre for email, contacts, and messaging. Everything else is gravy.

Android just feels a whole generation behind webOS on all the PIM stuff -- except ToDo lists, for which there's an official RememberTheMilk app.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12