Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Palm Tablets have basically been leaked out. As I have said before, I moved to android because of Palm's lack of new devices, but have been patiently waiting to get a webOS tablet as I still believe it is the best OS out there. However, I have a huge issue. I "upgraded" to an HTC Evo after my Pre, and quite honestly, I exchanged it because it felt like a downgrade in power. It could not handle anything graphic intensive, and the very things I could run smoothly on pre would really struggle on the HTC. Also, as a brief story, I purchased a Palm Pixi for my girlfriend at the time, and I hated how slow and laggy it was even with a clock speed of 600Mhz, when the Pre ran at 500Mhz and was much, much faster and was able to handle more 3D gaming. I then educated myself as to why....

I then promised myself I would never again purchase a device ran by a Qualcomm processor again. That's what the Pixi and the Evo had in common. I then learned, through benchmark scores, that Qualcomm can't handle anything past opening the calendar or the contacts application. I don't want to purchase a tablet that will not be able to run next month's software because of a horrible processor. I was 100% sure I was going to purchase a webOS tablet until today. Now, I am aiming toward the Moto Xoom, which will be much more powerful.

I honestly cannot stand anything ran by Qualcomm processors, which is why I despise HTC products. Qualcomm just makes a weak processor, and even with that weakness, it cannot handle a full day of battery life. I have a samsung epic now, with a much more powerful processor and GPU, and I get DOUBLE the battery life I got on the Evo. Qualcomm just sucks. So I am quite disappointed that HP is going to use this as their processor. I hope they changed their minds from August.

Anyone share my thoughts???
    I thought the processors were TI OMAPs?
    Nope.
    I somewhat agree with you. I was hoping it would be TI's OMAP 4440.
    The OP doesn't know what they're talking about. Haters gonna hate.
    Those are all rumors for another two weeks. Also, did you see that Apple is moving to Qualcomm for their next round of phones and pads?
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    The Palm Tablets have basically been leaked out. As I have said before, I moved to android because of Palm's lack of new devices, but have been patiently waiting to get a webOS tablet as I still believe it is the best OS out there. However, I have a huge issue. I "upgraded" to an HTC Evo after my Pre, and quite honestly, I exchanged it because it felt like a downgrade in power. It could not handle anything graphic intensive, and the very things I could run smoothly on pre would really struggle on the HTC. Also, as a brief story, I purchased a Palm Pixi for my girlfriend at the time, and I hated how slow and laggy it was even with a clock speed of 600Mhz, when the Pre ran at 500Mhz and was much, much faster and was able to handle more 3D gaming. I then educated myself as to why....

I then promised myself I would never again purchase a device ran by a Qualcomm processor again. That's what the Pixi and the Evo had in common. I then learned, through benchmark scores, that Qualcomm can't handle anything past opening the calendar or the contacts application. I don't want to purchase a tablet that will not be able to run next month's software because of a horrible processor. I was 100% sure I was going to purchase a webOS tablet until today. Now, I am aiming toward the Moto Xoom, which will be much more powerful.

I honestly cannot stand anything ran by Qualcomm processors, which is why I despise HTC products. Qualcomm just makes a weak processor, and even with that weakness, it cannot handle a full day of battery life. I have a samsung epic now, with a much more powerful processor and GPU, and I get DOUBLE the battery life I got on the Evo. Qualcomm just sucks. So I am quite disappointed that HP is going to use this as their processor. I hope they changed their minds from August.

Anyone share my thoughts???
    The next generation snapdragon processor run everything thing perfectly on my EVO Shift. I can run live wallpapers, games, and multitask just fine. My battery life is also excellent on this phone.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by runtimmyc View Post
    Yes, the Palm Pre runs a TI OMAP3430. The OP doesn't know what they're talking about. Haters gonna hate.
    The OP is talking about android phones. Notonce did he mention theprocessor in the Pre. He did say that the Pre had more power than the Pixie which runs a Qualcom processor. I dont think he is hating, just stating his opinion on what processor he would prefer. I tend to agree with him.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by runtimmyc View Post
    The OP doesn't know what they're talking about. Haters gonna hate.
    Just basing it on what Precentral posted today. Im not trying to hate at all, I just want a premium device from Palm to run a premium OS.

Quote Originally Posted by eserrano250 View Post
    I somewhat agree with you. I was hoping it would be TI's OMAP 4440.
    Yeah so did I! In fact, I thought for sure they were going to choose the TI processor again. I would have been very happy with that. That is a perfectly competent processor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Those are all rumors for another two weeks. Also, did you see that Apple is moving to Qualcomm for their next round of phones and pads?
    That is incorrect from what I have read. They are moving to Qualcomm for their next round of chips, not processors. They are using Qualcomm for the radio because they are the only company that can do dual GSM/CDMA on a chip. Every Sprint phone has a qualcomm chip, including my samsung epic, but the 3G chip is qualcomm. Apple is going to use qualcomm for the 3G chip, but still use their A4 for the processing.
    I'll wait till I see the device in action before I make assumptions about the device and it's processor.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    The next generation snapdragon processor run everything thing perfectly on my EVO Shift. I can run live wallpapers, games, and multitask just fine. My battery life is also excellent on this phone.

Check this out and look at the INCREDIBLE difference.

Not saying the shift is a bad device, I actually like it. However, when compared to other processors, its not very powerful. As a standalone device, its ok.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    I'll wait till I see the device in action before I make assumptions about the device and it's processor.
    I can respect that. But historically speaking, Qualcomm has never, ever, ever made the best processor out there. Especially when it comes to running games, which webOS has a large variety of that require a strong processor. In the future, we will see unreal engine run on webOS, and it CANNOT run on second generation snapdragons. I tried.

I'm basing my opinion on historical significance because Qualcomm has never satisfied the processing wanted by consumers that use their devices to the best of their ability. instead, they target their processors to those that only use core functions.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    Check this out and look at the INCREDIBLE difference.

Not saying the shift is a bad device, I actually like it. However, when compared to other processors, its not very powerful. As a standalone device, its ok.
    I'm quite aware of that test. And I know the humming bird processor is way more powerful than the snapdragon processor.

My point was this phone doesn't have any lag performing any task and is battery efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It's rumored that the cell radio will be a GSM/CDMA Qualcomm. The processor however will probably be the A5.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I'm quite aware of that test. And I know the humming bird processor is way more powerful than the snapdragon processor.

My point was this phone doesn't have any lag performing any task and is battery efficient.

Ok gotcha. I mean, I get that its a good device. But again, compare that to a Moto X running TI or a Galaxy S running Hummingbird and you got a loooot of difference. Battery life, power, performance, etc. I just want HP to use something other than Qualcomm.
    we have different sources predicting different cpu configurations for the tablet.

both sources sound reliable.

I stick with believing in an OMAP 4 440 processor because this is the newer source. the documents from yesterday are some 6 months old and come from a marketing guys wishes, not from a technical spec sheet description.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    we have different sources predicting different cpu configurations for the tablet.

both sources sound reliable.

I stick with believing in an OMAP 4 440 processor because this is the newer source. the documents from yesterday are some 6 months old and come from a marketing guys wishes, not from a technical spec sheet description.
    Lets really, really hope you are right about this!
    The pixi is slow because it uses an arm7 core not because its qualcom.

The bigest differences between TI and Qualcom are the system on chip peripherals and GPU.

That being said the OMAP4 with dual arm A9 cores would be streets ahead.

I expect the dual core to be very effective at reducing lag. Also the adreno 220 gpu is apparently a beast.

I can't explain your EVO issues, but i hear later versions of android improve lag drastically.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I have no idea what HP is going to put in the tablet. I'm a little surprised that they are moving from Ti to Qualcomm given that the Pre 2 has a Ti chip, but this was probably due to logistics and size considerations as much as anything else. Maybe HP doesn't want to buy chips from its calculator competitor. . .
    On the other hand, the fact that both rumors say 1.2 ghz makes me lean toward this being a Qualcomm chip. I haven't seen anything from Ti saying that they are going to make release a 1.2 ghz chip. I've only seen 1ghz and 1.5 ghz from Ti. Qualcomm, on the other hand, is consistent on a 1.2 ghz chip and has been saying this all along.
    Now as to people's experience with Ti chips versus Qualcomm, those differences have been due to software. Windows 7 phones run on the same processors as many android phones but blow them away in some video tests - on the exact same hardware. Microsoft just optimized the software much better. Both the Ti chip and Qualcomm chips are based upon the ARM A8 reference design, and they made no changes.
    As to OMAP4 versus rumored Qualcomm chip in the Topaz, the negative is that the OMAP4 is a ARM A9 reference design versus the Qualcomm which is a A8. The A9 design is going to be faster clock to clock. On the other hand, Qualcomm is releasing at 1.2 Ghz, so the 20% clock speed advantage could negate the benefits of the A9 architecture versus A8. On the positive side, if Qualcomm can be believed, the Adreno 220 GPU will be more powerful than the OMAP4 GPU. Probably a good deal more powerful.
    Bottom line, this will be a huge improvement over the Palm Pre and the Pre2 if it is either OMAP4 or Qualcomm.
    On thing to add to resolution: the Qualcomm chipset only supports up to 1280 by 800 (or something like that). I think that HP is doing the right thing using 1024 by 760. Upping the resolution would lower the maximum and average framerate on different tasks such as playing videos, games, etc. That is why I've
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    On the other hand, the fact that both rumors say 1.2 ghz makes me lean toward this being a Qualcomm chip. I haven't seen anything from Ti saying that they are going to make release a 1.2 ghz chip. I've only seen 1ghz and 1.5 ghz from Ti. Qualcomm, on the other hand, is consistent on a 1.2 ghz chip and has been saying this all along.
    There was no 500 MHz TI chip either.
    The chip was 600 MHz and Palm down-clocked it to 500 MHz for the Pre.

The down-clocking ratio 600:500 comes close to what 1.5:1.2 would be.

So this is no winning argument, imho...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast