Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I have no idea what HP is going to put in the tablet. I'm a little surprised that they are moving from Ti to Qualcomm given that the Pre 2 has a Ti chip, but this was probably due to logistics and size considerations as much as anything else. Maybe HP doesn't want to buy chips from its calculator competitor. . .
    On the other hand, the fact that both rumors say 1.2 ghz makes me lean toward this being a Qualcomm chip. I haven't seen anything from Ti saying that they are going to make release a 1.2 ghz chip. I've only seen 1ghz and 1.5 ghz from Ti. Qualcomm, on the other hand, is consistent on a 1.2 ghz chip and has been saying this all along.
    Now as to people's experience with Ti chips versus Qualcomm, those differences have been due to software. Windows 7 phones run on the same processors as many android phones but blow them away in some video tests - on the exact same hardware. Microsoft just optimized the software much better. Both the Ti chip and Qualcomm chips are based upon the ARM A8 reference design, and they made no changes.
    As to OMAP4 versus rumored Qualcomm chip in the Topaz, the negative is that the OMAP4 is a ARM A9 reference design versus the Qualcomm which is a A8. The A9 design is going to be faster clock to clock. On the other hand, Qualcomm is releasing at 1.2 Ghz, so the 20% clock speed advantage could negate the benefits of the A9 architecture versus A8. On the positive side, if Qualcomm can be believed, the Adreno 220 GPU will be more powerful than the OMAP4 GPU. Probably a good deal more powerful.
    Bottom line, this will be a huge improvement over the Palm Pre and the Pre2 if it is either OMAP4 or Qualcomm.
    On thing to add to resolution: the Qualcomm chipset only supports up to 1280 by 800 (or something like that). I think that HP is doing the right thing using 1024 by 760. Upping the resolution would lower the maximum and average framerate on different tasks such as playing videos, games, etc. That is why I've
    the omap 4440 is clockable up to 1.5ghz, it could be underclocked to 1.2ghz is my guess, if they say that its going to be an omap4 processor in it.
    Who says it will have omap?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I've said this ad nauseum. All you people hoping HP's new devices will run OMAP4 chips are going to be sorely disappointed. Looks like they've hitched their wagon to Qualcomm. My sources tell me that whatever they've designed in is NOT TI.

As for the MSM8660, unfortunately it will eat the OMAP4's dust every time. Except for graphics - the Adreno 220 is a beast of a GPU compared to the PowerVR SGX540.
    WebOS is dead if these are the specs, and I bet they are. The idea of a controlled leak meant to dampen enthusiasm is dumb. Leaks are meant to build buzz - if these were intentional, it really means HPalm don't get it.

These tablets will launch into the buzzsaw of the iPad 2 with an aluminum unibody and 4x the screen resolution. A plastic iPad1/Galaxy Tab-alike won't cut it by the time these start shipping.

I'm really, really disappointed.

Palm user since '96. I cut service on my Pre Plus last year for an Evo and while I sorely miss the WebOS UI, I don't miss the hardware. HPalm is in a deep, deep hole and I don't see them climbing out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    I've said this ad nauseum. All you people hoping HP's new devices will run OMAP4 chips are going to be sorely disappointed. Looks like they've hitched their wagon to Qualcomm. My sources tell me that whatever they've designed in is NOT TI.

As for the MSM8660, unfortunately it will eat the OMAP4's dust every time. Except for graphics - the Adreno 220 is a beast of a GPU compared to the PowerVR SGX540.
    one can still wish though, no matter how foolish it may be
    Count me as extremely skeptical that the Ipad 2 is going to have the 4x resolution that was rumored. I think that rumor has been shot down by some pretty reputable Apple rumor sites now. I don't think that any 9 inch panels are even available for apple at that resolution but even more importantly filling 4x more pixels at acceptable frame rates does not seem doable with even the apple next gen A5 chipset.
    The qualcomm dual core with the new GPU only supports up to 1280 x 800. That should tell us something about the power needed to support the rumored Ipad 2 display.
    I am sure that HP evaluted the Qualcomm chips and the Ti chips because both have been sampling for some time. Maybe it was performance, maybe it was timing, maybe it was cost, but I'm sure HP/Palm has some reasons to pick the chipset that they chose.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Caught up in the Tegra 2 hype? The Qualcomm 1.2ghz dual core chip is actually a better chip from the stand point of being able to turn cores on or off, which will help with battery life and offer efficiency. To say that what Qualcomm is doing with it's chips is "lacking" is a interesting word choice. Granted, it doesn't do 3D but who gives a flip about 3D on a phone.
    I saw the Tegra 2 do some pretty amazing things (I was at CES). It isn't hype if I saw it with my own eyes.

I should have been more specific; I would say that (unless they have really thrown cash and people at it) their graphics cores have, historically, been "lacking," especially when compared with their competitors.

From the processing core standpoint, Qualcomm is always doing very good.

Still, go use an EVO 4G (with a Snapdragon), and an Epic 4G and tell me which has better graphics performance. Of course, the snapdragon there isn't the newest.

Edit: I do want to mention that if this chip will enable the tablet to have some seriously great battery life, then it will be worth it completely, even if it isn't quite as powerful as other SoCs. I know that RIM is having a lot of trouble with perfecting the Playbook's performance in that department, and I suppose that it could be because it is running on a dual core Cortex A8-based processor. So if they could beat the iPad's battery life with a dual-core, 1.2GHz Qualcomm chip, then I'm all for it.
    Last edited by JKK Photography; 01/26/2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Still, go use an EVO 4G (with a Snapdragon), and an Epic 4G and tell me which has better graphics performance. Of course, the snapdragon there isn't the newest.
    Exactly. Someone posted the GPU a link to benchmark performance of the new dual core Qualcomm chip and it held it's own.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Exactly. Someone posted the GPU a link to benchmark performance of the new dual core Qualcomm chip and it held it's own.
    But will it hold its own against the Tegra 2? I've seen it benchmarked against other platforms, but I haven't seen one against the Tegra 2. Has there been one, and I've missed it?
    I must repeat, CPU specs do not guarantee anything. OS optimization and drivers are equally or even more important than mere CPU speed. Good old Pre have CPU with enough power for iphone like GUI experience, but is slower than iphone. Iphone 3GS is faster than any Android phone with 800mhz speed, and Windows phone 7 is snappier than any Android phone with 1GHz CPU.
    Look at HTC HD2. Originally it came with Windows mobile 6.5 and it was slow like hell, but it performs faster with ported Android and even faster with ported Windows phone 7. Same phone and same CPU, only different software.
    I really do not care about on-paper CPU specs. What only matters is user experience and spec can't guarantee it. I'll wait to see it in action, to hold it and try it. Anything else is just a jerk off.
  12.    #52  
    Yeah, the issue (major issue) is that this is being compared to last generation processors. Galaxy S2 will be released at MWC and it will have, no doubt, a more powerful version of Hummingbird, which is already powerful enough. IN fact, I believe Samsung and Apple plan to use SGX543 on their graphics while upping their processor clock to 1.2Ghz. These will smoke anything made by Qualcomm. If HP chose Qualcomm, they did it for the same reason HTC chooses Qualcomm: cost.

I am going to get whatever is most powerful. Why? Because I don't plan on buying a tablet every six months and I want to be able to handle future software like heavy 3D games (unreal engine stuff) and heavy multitasking. NOt to mention that everything is going GPU accelerated now, and Qualcomm is going to be very, very far behind. They have been a full generation behind on power for the last year at least.
    I'm disappointed because the form factor and specs look very "me too." I love WebOS, but the Pre has a unique form factor in its attempt and one-handed operation. It seems it will be hard to gain marketshare with a me-too device. Not sure software coolness will be enough if it doesn't do something different.
    If palm can relatively soon provide "high end" quality smarthphones and tablets, with a complete and strong ecosystem behind them, thats a good mixture for success.
    I suspect that the Andreno 220 GPU will be a close competitor to the GPU in the Tegra 2 and all other competitors. It will be better than what is in the Ipad today. I don't know if you have seen videos of the demonstrations that Qualcomm showed at CES this month. They were able to display 3d video in HD using an HDMI-out of their phone running the MSM86660 chipset that the Topaz is rumored to use.
    To me the biggest issue is how far behind the A8 cores will lag behind A9 ARM cores. We will see. Like I said, a 20% speed advantage might be enough to make the difference negligible.
    I agree with the other posters about the software though. HP/Palm getting Webos optimized and harnessing GPU power is equally important to their hardware choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I'm disappointed because the form factor and specs look very "me too." I love WebOS, but the Pre has a unique form factor in its attempt and one-handed operation. It seems it will be hard to gain marketshare with a me-too device. Not sure software coolness will be enough if it doesn't do something different.
    That's exactly how I felt with the leaks of this PalmPad. I wouldn't be surprised at all if an iPad case fit it like a glove!
    Hummingbird vs. Snapdragon vs. OMAP vs. Tegra 2: ARM Chips Explained - Tested

That explains quite a bit about the current crop of chips out there.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    They will have multiple tablets. Should people who would like a 9" 4:3 tablet be left out so that HP doesn't look like a me too?
    I'm not talking about screen size, I'm talking about innovation. Apple did it's research and made a decision. HPalm needs to do the same. Take a look at the Notion Ink Adam. Like it or not, they thought hard about how the device would be used and built what they think would be a significantly enhanced device. A me-too device that doesn't simply assume Apple solved everything except adding Flash is destined to "so what" status in my opinion.

If WebOS has a MASSIVE installed base, maybe building a device for that base alone would make sense. They need to capture mindshare of folks who don't know and don't care about WebOS. That requires a unique solution.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I'm not talking about screen size, I'm talking about innovation. Apple did it's research and made a decision. HPalm needs to do the same. Take a look at the Notion Ink Adam. Like it or not, they thought hard about how the device would be used and built what they think would be a significantly enhanced device. A me-too device that doesn't simply assume Apple solved everything except adding Flash is destined to "so what" status in my opinion.

If WebOS has a MASSIVE installed base, maybe building a device for that base alone would make sense. They need to capture mindshare of folks who don't know and don't care about WebOS. That requires a unique solution.
    Did you miss all the rumors about the touchstone and cloud integrations? Is that not innovative or unique?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast