Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Yep but that only works with product lines people care or read about. How many people are reading about Palm tablets?
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    This is a CONTROLLED LEAK, so people will get disappointed now, get used to the idea, read more about it, and finally end up buying one anyway.

Aren't people used to this concept yet?
    I guess you are right that this is a controlled leak. But to surprise they will have to beyond this on Feb. 9th.

Frustrating the geeks now only to lift them up on the 9th...that is my guess.

They know for sure that they have to be competitive in hard - and software in the market.
    To the businesses who will buy it, only enterprise supportability and connectivity matter.

The consumer buying it in France will only care if it has the apps they want.

We are the only ones who will know what chips are in in it...or care.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 01/25/2011 at 02:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Yep but that only works with product lines people care or read about. How many people are reading about Palm tablets?
    Well "palmpad" pulls about 2.2m hits fro, the goog machine so clearly MANY people are reading\talking about it.

(yes, "ipad 2" pulls about 7m but this is a refresh to an existing device)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    This is a CONTROLLED LEAK, so people will get disappointed now, get used to the idea, read more about it, and finally end up buying one anyway.

Aren't people used to this concept yet?
    IDK, dual core 1.2GHz isn't anything to be disappointed by IMHO.

I'm just not interested in a tablet as I don't feel there is a void between my phone, Notebook and PC.

My wife, on the other hand, is keeping an eye on it though. Lately, she has become obsessed with getting a kindle or tablet to read books on.
    I'm not sure we know enough to be disappointed. The leak may even turn out to be wrong. I have seen some discussion on the merits of the GPU, but haven't heard much about the processor itself. If it's better than the Pre, better than the Pre 2, and better than the iPad, as it appears to be (being dual core), how would that be disappointing? But the jury must remain out for a couple more weeks.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    IDK, dual core 1.2GHz isn't anything to be disappointed by IMHO.

I'm just not interested in a tablet as I don't feel there is a void between my phone, Notebook and PC.

My wife, on the other hand, is keeping an eye on it though. Lately, she has become obsessed with getting a kindle or tablet to read books on.
    I'm saying the people who are disappointed, get a chance to get used to the idea.

I just want it to have a remote desktop solution.
    (if it doesn't have that, which it won't, I'm not interested at all)
    little disappointed in screen res size but thats fine. I am really excited about the device over all and I cant wait to get one!
    It's hard to be disappointed off of rumors, old spec sheets, and no release date.
    I am disappointed. Disappointed in HP not giving us the specs of the phones!

;-) I really don't care, all I care about is getting the phones and tablets out so we can start discussing them!
    There's a fairly huge difference in the graphics department between the Snapdragon processor running in the EVO, and the one that is rumored to be in the tablet. Basically, the new Adreno chip is much more comparable to what is out there on the DROID X, DROID 2, and just a little below the Samsung Hummingbird and Apple A4.

Now, that is a problem unto itself: all of those devices I just named are being replaced, if not now, soon. DROID X will be replaced by the DROID Bionic (Tegra 2). DROID 2 will also presumably have a successor with a Tegra 2 based chip. The Hummingbird chip is apparently either being replaced by 'Orion' (further out) or, in the near term, Tegra 2. Apple's A5 chip is rumored to have a dual core processor and graphics core, so it will be nothing short of a beast, and rival (if not beat) Tegra 2.

So yes, I'm a little disappointed if that is true. I do, however, think that since the leaked articles were published sometime in the fall that HP/Palm might have had enough time to upgrade to some new TI chip, or a Tegra 2, or even some as-of-yet unannounced dual core Snapdragon processor with some seriously beefed up graphics.

But, as all we've seen are unofficial leaks at this time, that's not much to go on.
    Im confused isnt this new processor newer and more powerfull? 1.2ghz dual core? The graphics portion is supposed to be amazing too. Am i missing something about these specs that makes them disapointing, as far as screen goes, id have liked a higher res screen but i think this is a nice way to keep the tabs lower in cost which is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Im confused isnt this new processor newer and more powerfull? 1.2ghz dual core? The graphics portion is supposed to be amazing too. Am i missing something about these specs that makes them disapointing, as far as screen goes, id have liked a higher res screen but i think this is a nice way to keep the tabs lower in cost which is fine.
    Compared to the Tegra 2 chips that seem to be on every Android phone and their mother, pretty much anything announced from Qualcomm is currently a little lacking.

Still, it is a fairly big bump up.
    As Cantaffordit said, Those are 100% rumors until Feb 9th. While you can say that you dont want them to use Qualcomm anymore you cant correctly rant on things you dont know. this is not intended to be an insult by any mean its only a statement of fact
    If the renders are true, I'm disappointed that it appears as if an iPad case would fit the 9" model like a glove. But, as many others have said here, it's too early to dismiss it quite yet; the deciding factor for me will come in the form of software.

I'm more interested in seeing how they've advanced webOS and if they've made any advancements with third parties to strengthen the app store. It will only be a useful and beneficial device if it can do what I do now on the iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Compared to the Tegra 2 chips that seem to be on every Android phone and their mother, pretty much anything announced from Qualcomm is currently a little lacking.

Still, it is a fairly big bump up.
    Caught up in the Tegra 2 hype? The Qualcomm 1.2ghz dual core chip is actually a better chip from the stand point of being able to turn cores on or off, which will help with battery life and offer efficiency. To say that what Qualcomm is doing with it's chips is "lacking" is a interesting word choice. Granted, it doesn't do 3D but who gives a flip about 3D on a phone.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If the renders are true, I'm disappointed that it appears as if an iPad case would fit the 9" model like a glove. But, as many others have said here, it's too early to dismiss it quite yet; the deciding factor for me will come in the form of software.

I'm more interested in seeing how they've advanced webOS and if they've made any advancements with third parties to strengthen the app store. It will only be a useful and beneficial device if it can do what I do now on the iPad.
    I think that you'll see strength from third party devs when it comes to prominent consumer facing apps.
    CPU specs itself are not guarantee of performance. Locked features in chip + drivers+ kernel + os/gui optimizations and application optimizations are more influential on app speed and os behavior than cpu horsepower itself.
    As I have posted in other threads, Im in agreement with GuyfromNam and Cantafforit above aboutthese being delierately understated controlled leaks, meant to keep the community and tech press engaged and baited, but with a huge surprise to the upside on Feb 9.

Regarding TI's OMAP4 line, here is a link from TI that indicates that the 4430 (1ghz dual core) was being sampled in December/2010 (leaving one to wonder if its in production NOW/Q1/2011) and the 4440 (1.5ghz dual core) will be sampling in Q1/2011, with production slated for 2nd half of 2011:

OMAP™ 4 Platform - OMAP4430/OMAP4440

If I HAD to guess, I'd need to know the release dates of the devices to reasonably guess what CPU's they are running, given the above information; the current leaked information could possibly be accurate and the result of the delayed OMAP4430 chip, which was due to be in production last fall/winter, according to old TI information, which I have posted l here last summer, but, there are other hot dual core chips in production now, other than the Qualcomm chip.

As for the quality of the CPU, I think its fair to say that in order to compete, any CPU will have to perform incredibly well, and if HP/Palm chose the Qualcomm 1.2 CPU for thier WebOSPad, its been particularly tested and run through the paces to make sure it CAN perform as needed - remember, WebOS is uniqwue in that it is a true multitasking OS, which puts a much heavier load on the CPU than iOS and Android, which I believe are deliberately untitutive for running multiple applications simlutaneously, to assure their CPU's arent easily "bogged down"; in webOS, its too easy to open 30 cards, and see the toll on the CPU gradually increase, versus the multi gestured/abstract methods of opening even 10 other applications on Android/iOS

Anyway, just some thoughts to ponder - again, I think we should all be wary of information deliberately "leaked" in situations like this... its always best to keep your expectations reasonable until other rational is provided.

Last edited by LCGuy; 01/26/2011 at 07:35 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

[QUOTE=LCGuy;2838759]As I have posted in other threads, Im in agreement with GuyfromNam and Cantafforit above aboutthese being delierately understated controlled leaks, meant to keep the community and tech press engaged and baited, but with a huge surprise to the upside on Feb 9.

Regarding TI's OMAP4 line, here is a link from TI that indicates that the 4430 (1ghz dual core) was being sampled in December/2010 (leaving one to wonder if its in production NOW/Q1/2011) and the 4440 (1.5ghz dual core) will be sampling in Q1/2011, with production slated for 2nd half of 2011:

[url=http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbuproductcontent.tsp?templateId=6123&navigationId=12843&contentId=53243&DCMP=wtbu_omap&HQS=Other+O T+omap4440]OMAP
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast