1.    #1  
    Will the 3G or wifi with hotspot will have any Real GPS apps like Garmin, Google Navigation (Not google maps) or tomtom?

Or HP is planning to have there own GPS application like Nokia does?

I'm proud owner of Pre+and Pre 2 but GPS I hate to use Navit as it has very less point of interests. I Even Contacted Garmin for app but unfortunately they don't have any such plan at least for WebOS phones. I hate to pay $10 a month to AT&T, rather I will pay 50 to 100 for Garmin to have life time support.
    Garmin is now making android phones, so I'm not expecting much webOS love. Personally, I use a Garmin Nuvi and I think that little Pre screen isn't a good way to get directions, it is muted when on a call so I miss turns, etc. And the option is missing soooo many features of a real GPS. FOr $10 per month, I could buy an amazing GPS and spend less than $240 that it would cost over the life of the contract.

Once all the announcements are made on the 9th we may know more, but I really doubt anyone will create anything until webOS has double-digit market share. IMHO
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Garmin is now making android phones, so I'm not expecting much webOS love.
    Gamin failed in that race and that is reason they have an app in iOS now.

Dieing for Feb 9 though
    Did palm ever released the voice api yet?
    I couldn't particularly care. If I want GPS, it's either my phone or my dedicated GPS device. I don't have room to paste my tablet onto my windshield for directions.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    I couldn't particularly care. If I want GPS, it's either my phone or my dedicated GPS device. I don't have room to paste my tablet onto my windshield for directions.
    What if one of Palm's announcements was for a car-mounted tablet that replaced your vehicle's stereo and navigation unit? The only thing that I use my truck's stereo for is as an amplifier for Pandora from my Pre+, and a bigger, tablet-sized webOS screen would make a pretty decent car-puter.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    What if one of Palm's announcements was for a car-mounted tablet that replaced your vehicle's stereo and navigation unit? The only thing that I use my truck's stereo for is as an amplifier for Pandora from my Pre+, and a bigger, tablet-sized webOS screen would make a pretty decent car-puter.....
    I'd say that was great if they designed dashboards for that into new cars, especially if they gave me a choice rather than exclusive like Ford Sync...

But for all the cars already on the road, a tablet isn't going to fit very well. I have a mount for my phone and a GPS, and there is no place to put those that isn't covering something else up... But, I agree it would be a cool use for a 7" tablet!

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2653573

You can see that today's dashboards don't really have big empty spaces for new electronics. And the amount of interconnected computers in cars now, there isn't a lot of upside in trying to wire them in to current systems. If it isn't bluetooth or a stereo jack, it isn't going to be easy to adapt to an existing car.

BTW, here is (by far) the most amazing custom mount in that entire thread. I wish he's start making them for all of us that would buy them in a heart beat:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2670968
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Did palm ever released the voice api yet?
    It's supposed to be in an upcoming release of 2.x

With all the recent leaked photos and info on voice dialing being part of the next release, that would indicate the voice APIs and other needed APIs are ready to go. Hopefully we will hear all about that on the 9th.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    But for all the cars already on the road, a tablet isn't going to fit very well. I have a mount for my phone and a GPS, and there is no place to put those that isn't covering something else up... But, I agree it would be a cool use for a 7" tablet!
    The DIN standard head unit used in many cars today is 7.2" wide and 2.1" high. Mount the 7" tablet in a drawer and flip it up, and you've got the perfect automotive accessory. (I don't know if the depth of the DIN space will accommodate a 7" tablet, though.)

I have a touchstone mounted in my pickup (never posted pictures), and the only gripe that I have is that I have to pick up the phone to read the display because it's too small. With HP/Palm talking about bumping phones/tablets together to transfer info, bumping your navigation route and music player from phone to vehicle seems like a logical next step.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Filjosh View Post
    Will the 3G or wifi with hotspot will have any Real GPS apps like Garmin, Google Navigation (Not google maps) or tomtom?

Or HP is planning to have there own GPS application like Nokia does?

I'm proud owner of Pre+and Pre 2 but GPS I hate to use Navit as it has very less point of interests. I Even Contacted Garmin for app but unfortunately they don't have any such plan at least for WebOS phones. I hate to pay $10 a month to AT&T, rather I will pay 50 to 100 for Garmin to have life time support.
    It's a valid interest and something HP needs to address. Not necessarily for their pads, but smartphones. At least a webOS version. Navigon, Tomtom, Garmin, etc..HP needs one.

I'm in the car at least a couple of hours a day during the work week and the iphone has completely replaced my old Garmin GPS. If i was choosing a new phone, this is a must have feature and something like Sprint Nav (one of sprint's free & useless addons) doesn't cut it.
    I've never had a problem with Sprint Nav.
    I am happy using a dedicated Garmin or TomTom nav unit in my cars, however I am disappointed if the WiFi only tablets do not have a GPS chip. It's not that I need GPS in my tablet, but I would like to have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by danwendell View Post
    I am happy using a dedicated Garmin or TomTom nav unit in my cars, however I am disappointed if the WiFi only tablets do not have a GPS chip. It's not that I need GPS in my tablet, but I would like to have it.
    Seconded.

It's not that I would want satnav particularly but all the apps that get location based data won't work either. So, Google maps will open on a map of the world, weather apps will have to be told where I am, no geo-tags on photos, etc, etc. We've got used to apps that know where we are and configure themselves appropriately, it would be a big step back to lose this on a tablet.