01/24/2011, 07:23 AM
Hi, I have obtained a document of the Topaz. Here are some snippets of information for you, some of which may already be known.
The document was last updated in August and is a working marketing document, so some information may not be accurate when Topaz is actually released.
Here we go:
Processor - Qualcomm MSM8660 @ 1.2 Ghz
Panel - 9.7" XGA (1024 x 768) w/IPS Wide Viewing Angle: 80/80/80/80 EZ-clean coating
Memory - 512MB (DDR2)
Storage - 16/32/64MB (3 options)
Graphics - Integrated graphics (OpenGL/OpenGL-ES 2.0)
Comm - Dual Band WiFi 802.11bgn + Bluetooth combo Optional WWAN+GPS SKU
Input Devices - Capactive multi-touch display, Accelerometer, eCompass, Ambient light sensor, microphone
Ports - Combo 3.5mm headphone/MIC w/HP Beats Audio, Micro-USB (Charging/PC Connect), Full size SIM card slot (on optional WWAN SKUs), Internal stereo speakers, Touchstone inductive charging and tap-to-share
Cameras - 1.3MP webcam (user facing)
2. Topaz MUST support Palm’s Touchstone technology for inductive charging. In addition, Topaz MUST support Touchstone v2, which adds one or more communications coils that can enable “tap”-to-share use cases
3. Seamless mobility experience – ex. start browsing content on a smartphone, seamlessly switch to the bigger screen slate or PC when desired. Get a message or call on your phone, read/talk and respond on a slate. View/edit and move documents (Office files) among mobile platforms to stay productive at all times.
4. long (all-day) battery life - ARM-based platform, large battery, phone-like, as opposed to PC-like, standby behavior
5. a lower-cost/more affordable price point ≤ $399 after carrier subsidies, affordable data plan
6. Topaz will likely be the only slate to mimic the iPAD’s 4:3, reading-friendly aspect ratio and publisher content portability. It may also be the only slate to charge via USB and in either portrait or landscape orientation. Finally, there are opportunities to further distinguish Topaz through investments in webOS, wireless device interactions, inductive charging, dock experiences, cloud services (ex. Melodeo, Snapfish, HP Cloud Drive), and content partnerships.
7. Excellent display viewing angle – the Apple iPAD’s web-optimized display with 80/80/80/80 viewing angle will be the benchmark for slate devices at the time of Topaz’s launch. Topaz’s display MUST match or better that spec.
8. Topaz SHOULD be capable of being marketed at a price point below the Windows-based slate products and, PREFERABLY below the price of the equivalent Apple iPAD configuration, to be competitive. (Note at the time of this writing that the 16GB WiFi-only Apple iPAD retail price is $499.)
9. Topaz configurations to be accommodated MUST include the following:
WiFi-only, 16GB SKU
WiFi-only, 32GB SKU
WiFi-only 64 GB SKU
WiFi + 3G HSDPA, 16 GB SKU
WiFi + 3G HSDPA, 32GB SKU
WiFi + 3G HSDPA, 64 GB SKU
WiFi + LTE, 16 GB SKU
WiFi + LTE, 32 GB SKU
WiFi + LTE, 64 GB SKU
10. Topaz WiFi-only MUST be targeted for a CES 2011 launch #Fudge: DOH!
More to follow.