Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    I've looked but haven't found the answer to this. Will Topaz actually be a phone that will allow you to make calls or will it only allow calls to be transferred to the tablet?
    there is no current official documentation leaked

thus the answer is that we don't know.

however it is likely that things already supported on the pre such as google voice, ando other announced voip services, (at least skype on verizon) would allow some phone function.

the rumors do point to 3g and lte devices so call capability in some manner is not out of the question.
    Here is an article by Clayton Morris over at Fox News...

FoxNews.com - Secret Details of HP's iPad-Killer Leaked
    I noticed one commenter said the following:

This product is DOA, just like that sony internet reader thing... the Dash or whatever it's called. The reason? WebOS. it freakin runs palm. who makes apps for palm? no one. If thing doesn't run windows or android, it's done. why even make a big deal about this? it will never be an ipad killer with webos running on it. you can't transfer apps between your phone or your pad, or your pc of your pad. absolutely useless.
    I think I'm registered at the website, but can't remember my username/password. If anyone cares to 'speak some truth' to the subject, go for it!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post

I think I'm registered at the website, but can't remember my username/password. If anyone cares to 'speak some truth' to the subject, go for it!
    What is the truth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post

That ******* Clayton Morris posted a picture of a touchsmart laptop saying "is this what the tablet will look like" what a joke. come on dude, your not even trying to hide the fact that you are making stuff up.

http://dailylaptops.com/wp-content/u...m2-Core-i5.jpg

EDIT: I tried posting in the comments, waiting on approval, we will see if it shows up.
    Last edited by mikevember; 01/26/2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: nonsense fox comment approval.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    I think that's Fox.com, not Clayton who put that photo there.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Quote Originally Posted by fudge View Post
    Input Devices - Capactive multi-touch display, Accelerometer, eCompass, Ambient light sensor, microphone
    Ports - Combo 3.5mm headphone/MIC w/HP Beats Audio, Micro-USB (Charging/PC Connect), Full size SIM card slot (on optional WWAN SKUs), Internal stereo speakers, Touchstone inductive charging and tap-to-share
    Cameras - 1.3MP webcam (user facing)
    So I guess any AR tablet apps aren't in the cards (so to speak). I realize a rear-facing camera on a device as large as a tablet is not crucial, but its absence does create some limitations on usage that might be attractive to folks.
    Last edited by j_grouchy; 01/27/2011 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    So I guess any AR tablet apps aren't in the cards (so to speak). I realize a rear-facing camera on a device as large as a tablet is not crucial, it does create some limitations on usage that might be attractive to folks.
    AR?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    AR?
    Augmented reality. Need a high-quality rear-facing camera.
    So I guess any AR tablet apps aren't in the cards (so to speak). I realize a rear-facing camera on a device as large as a tablet is not crucial, but its absence does create some limitations on usage that might be attractive to folks.
    If the spec leaks are accurate, it seems they would only be including a gps radio in with a 3g (or 4g) radio, so they clearly don't see AR as being important to a tablet user... not that I agree with that.

However, I would think it more important to support AR on a phone, but that's only a guess because I haven't seen a compelling use for it yet. I'm sure there will be many compelling cases, I just haven't figured it out.

I'm hoping this all points to devices that share resources so that each device doesn't need a complete assortment of radios and cameras. Like having the tablet use the GPS and camera on my phone, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    ...However, I would think it more important to support AR on a phone, but that's only a guess because I haven't seen a compelling use for it yet. I'm sure there will be many compelling cases, I just haven't figured it out.
    I don't know they quite qualify as "compelling", but I've seen two things on Androids that I like that use this.

One app that you point into an area that shows you resturants and information about them.

Another app that you point to the night sky (or even the day sky) that labels the constallations that are visible, or would be visible it were dark.
    They also had one that you could use for addresses and when looking for rentals or buying a house .

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't know they quite qualify as "compelling",
    Well one could argue that there are a number of features common to modern smartphones that are unnecessary or over-and-above...front-facing cameras, gyroscopes and compasses, etc. Just seems to me if you're going to put in a compass you might as well take full advantage of its uses in the AR field.
    Why bother with a compass anyways? The magnetic north pole is currently moving towards Russia at 50Km/Y, so they won't be accurate in a couple months anyways. We just need a geo-stationary north and south pole satellite.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Why bother with a compass anyways? The magnetic north pole is currently moving towards Russia at 50Km/Y, so they won't be accurate in a couple months anyways. We just need a geo-stationary north and south pole satellite.
    Deviation fixes can easily be issued in software/firmware updates. It has all kinds of practical uses.
    Well one could argue that there are a number of features common to modern smartphones that are unnecessary or over-and-above...front-facing cameras, gyroscopes and compasses, etc. Just seems to me if you're going to put in a compass you might as well take full advantage of its uses in the AR field.
    I agree. I just wasn't familiar enough with AR to to know how it would be used. Other than the night sky thing, I would think all of those would be better suited for a phone than a slate. I can't quite imagine having my wife hold a 10" tablet out the window to get info on restaurants or houses. But holding up a phone.. I get that, and the camera is likely to be of the same capabilities in either device.

Especially since they aren't even putting a GPS radio in except for the 3g/4g versions of the slates. I think that's not going to make me happy. Anyone know if the iPod and/or iPad has a gps?
    fox news, making sh-t up? ive never heard of such a thing! ignore the haters. :P looks like he just copy pasted random things from different articles, then put in the wrong picture.
    I agree. I just wasn't familiar enough with AR to to know how it would be used. Other than the night sky thing, I would think all of those would be better suited for a phone than a slate. I can't quite imagine having my wife hold a 10" tablet out the window to get info on restaurants or houses. But holding up a phone.. I get that, and the camera is likely to be of the same capabilities in either device.

Especially since they aren't even putting a GPS radio in except for the 3g/4g versions of the slates. I think that's not going to make me happy. Anyone know if the iPod and/or iPad has a gps?
    On the iPad, only the 3G version has a GPS chip. Reason being is all mobile devices use A-GPS which requires a cellular radio. You can still use location services on the wifi only iPad via wifi-triangulation, and it actually works REALLY well, especially when tethered to another GPS-enabled device via wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post

I nearly wet myself laughing when I read this. We might just have a problem getting a geostationary satellite above either of the poles to stay up.

Anyway, what's the problem with a drifting magnetic pole? The drift is well known and software can compensate easily enough, far easier and cheaper that sending up more space junk.
    Anyone know if the iPod and/or iPad has a gps?
    3G iPad has GPS but Wifi version does not

iPod Touch does not have GPS...this one baffles me. It seems to me Apple could really do well selling an iPod Touch with GPS. Garmin and TomTom would pee their pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post

I nearly wet myself laughing when I read this. We might just have a problem getting a geostationary satellite above either of the poles to stay up.

Polar Geostationary Orbits are possible - what do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Anyway, what's the problem with a drifting magnetic pole? The drift is well known and software can compensate easily enough, far easier and cheaper that sending up more space junk.
    This I agree with. Not to mention the fact that the ability to receive a signal from sats in polar geostationary orbit is going to be hampered inside buildings, when trees are in the way etc. Mag north is a lot easier to find and compensate for drift from than finding the signal from space...
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast