Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Nothing from the list seems uncommon. I suspect the pads will have those things and more.

What the memo, if true shows me is that they know there target & they've put a lot of thought into this.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Thanks for the info but this looks like a Requirements Doc.
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    The evo won't hold sprint for long.. With the iphone and many android handets/tablets headed to both vzw and att.. Sprint Does need this

Evo is a brand, not a single device, and you will definitely see the high-powered sequel(s) at MWC and/or CTIA. HTC's tablet (which they've kept close to the vest - rumors include 3D and/or dual-screens) will be on Sprint without a doubt. Sprint's also getting a WiMax Playbook, and with the large number of Blackberry users on Sprint, that will make an attractive pairing if the device lives up to the hype and is priced right. Sprint might also be the first CDMA carrier with a Windows Phone 7 device. With iPhone CDMA being non-exclusive to Verizon, it's probably only a matter of months before Sprint gets it as well.

By contrast, you're talking about Sprint "needing" a complete unknown with no confirmed specs, release date, or sales info to show what Sprint would be missing out on.
    ugh if this is true, which I doubt, but if it is, Why the f are they using a 1024x768 screen res instead of standard 720p screen res(1280x720)? Seriously its like we are reverting from HD to standard def here. Same with the ipad..

-Toaster
    [QUOTE=sketch42;2836587]The evo won't hold sprint for long.. With the iphone and many android handets/tablets headed to both vzw and att.. Sprint Does need this

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=

I agree. The Evo is a nice phone but not WebOS. Sprint will lose more customers if they don't put more money into getting more 4G phones on different OS's. Verizon and AT&T seem to be beating Sprint to the punch in 3G and 4G hardware. I'm not hoping and wishing that Sprint gets a new WebOS device first, just get one by summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Evo is a brand, not a single device, and you will definitely see the high-powered sequel(s) at MWC and/or CTIA. HTC's tablet (which they've kept close to the vest - rumors include 3D and/or dual-screens) will be on Sprint without a doubt. Sprint's also getting a WiMax Playbook, and with the large number of Blackberry users on Sprint, that will make an attractive pairing if the device lives up to the hype and is priced right. Sprint might also be the first CDMA carrier with a Windows Phone 7 device. With iPhone CDMA being non-exclusive to Verizon, it's probably only a matter of months before Sprint gets it as well.

By contrast, you're talking about Sprint "needing" a complete unknown with no confirmed specs, release date, or sales info to show what Sprint would be missing out on.
    Att will also have the playbook, as well as verizon..

And yes I intentionally ignored mentioning sprints announcement, because they do need everything they can get.. For all we know they're announcing switching to LTE, so why bother mentioning more speculation, in an already speculation inunndated thread

I'm thinking Sprint's announcement could make sense as a webOS device announcement. I imagine HP will be all about the ecosystem. This leaves plenty of room and desire from HP for someone else to focus on 1 or 2 devices, phone, tablet, George Jetsen's watch.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne173 View Post
    LTE??!!?? I guess us Sprint WiMax users are goning to get hosed again. HPalm I hope this isn't the case. And to Sprint.....u maybe looking @ a mass exit of WebOS users if any of the other carriers get the goods before Sprint does.
    Wifi only Palm Pad + new HP|Palm phone w/ mobile hotspot and/or tethering = one can stay with Sprint just fine.

I wouldn't bother with a 3G/4G tablet anyway unless they were able to become part of my mobile phone data plan (i.e., not an add-on data plan).
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    ugh if this is true, which I doubt, but if it is, Why the f are they using a 1024x768 screen res instead of standard 720p screen res(1280x720)? Seriously its like we are reverting from HD to standard def here. Same with the ipad..

-Toaster

4:3 screens are much nicer for reading and web browsing than 16:9. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with both types. Maybe the 7" screen will be 16:9 and the 10" (9.7") will be 4:3.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    It will be interesting to see how having both a compas and touchstone compatibility pans out.
    I don't see why it couldn't work. It has been stated that the TS back does not have any magnets. Also, they do make an aftermarket case for the iPhone that allows for inductive charging and as far as I know, the compass works fine in that situation (assuming the phone is not being charged while using the compass).
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I don't see why it couldn't work. It has been stated that the TS back does not have any magnets. Also, they do make an aftermarket case for the iPhone that allows for inductive charging and as far as I know, the compass works fine in that situation (assuming the phone is not being charged while using the compass).
    I don't understand how this has been made such an issue. There are no magnets in the phone itself other than in the speakers, which every phone has so I'm not sure it would be an issue anyway. The compass was just never spec'ed into the device, and hopefully now it is. I'm sure there are some technical issues they will need to overcome, but nothing everybody else hasn't run into.
    Nice write-up. Thanks.

Are you trying to hurt me?
    the old touchstone will work, only for charging
    Nice writeup + nice info from fudge. Glad you stopped by
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I don't understand how this has been made such an issue. There are no magnets in the phone itself other than in the speakers, which every phone has so I'm not sure it would be an issue anyway. The compass was just never spec'ed into the device, and hopefully now it is. I'm sure there are some technical issues they will need to overcome, but nothing everybody else hasn't run into.
    My guess is there will likely be something done to compensate for it. I don't know the technical terms in this case, but I can tell you that when I hold touchstone back to a compass, the compass reacts to it. Could be the small disks in the touchstone back become temporarily magnetized (similar to what happens if you repeatedly bang a screwdriver on another piece of metal then touch it to a paperclip). I don't know.

I've just tried it again, this time with my Evo. I took just the back cover from my wife's Pre and held it close to my Evo while a compass app was loaded. The needle moves every time I bring the touchstone cover near it.

All I'm interested in is how this is going to be solved. (if I have time later, I'll try to post a vid of it)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    +100

Nothing in the touchstone back would prevent a compass. There are no magnets in the TS back or anywhere else in the phone.Not sure why I'd want a compass on a tablet... but that's probably just my lack of "thinking beyond." because I can really appreciate why someone would want it on their phone.

I'm still curious how the current touchstone would/could work with a tablet/ It's a 2 inch puck that sits on an angle. Maybe they have a wedge shaped adapter planned that would level the top surface? Even then, how would you use a 10" tablet balanced on a 2" disk? I'm guessing the will create some sort of docking station that the TS sits in, perhaps? Like the port replicators for business notebooks?

Note to self: Jump over to the patent office web site, and file that idea just in case Palm hasn't thought of it yet...
  17.    #58  
    Glad to help...lovin WebOS and this community. I sorta like it like this, but somehow I think this time next year it's gonna be huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post

Note to self: Jump over to the patent office web site, and file that idea just in case Palm hasn't thought of it yet...
    thanks for the tip
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    My guess is there will likely be something done to compensate for it. I don't know the technical terms in this case, but I can tell you that when I hold touchstone back to a compass, the compass reacts to it. Could be the small disks in the touchstone back become temporarily magnetized (similar to what happens if you repeatedly bang a screwdriver on another piece of metal then touch it to a paperclip). I don't know.

I've just tried it again, this time with my Evo. I took just the back cover from my wife's Pre and held it close to my Evo while a compass app was loaded. The needle moves every time I bring the touchstone cover near it.

All I'm interested in is how this is going to be solved. (if I have time later, I'll try to post a vid of it)
    Yep, it will pick up a slight bit of magnetization. The phone would need to have a shield between the charging electronics and the rest of the phone.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast