Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
    So back to the point - what is the compass going to be useful for on a pad form factor?

I think of apps like Google Sky instantly but then my brain falters. I can see more uses on a more portable device like a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    So back to the point - what is the compass going to be useful for on a pad form factor?

I think of apps like Google Sky instantly but then my brain falters. I can see more uses on a more portable device like a phone.
    Get a car dock for the tablet and use it as a huge GPS navigation device? I think that would be pretty cool.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    It's amazing how much activity one new "member" (fudge) can create with 6 posts in one day. (the only day "fudge" was ever here.)

So, who was/is "fudge"?

Most likely, a "fudged" account, but by who?

Someone here? ....maybe a former Palm employee?

Oh, who is this mysterious person who filled our pointless lives with so much info. ;-)

I know, we may never know who this "leak-er of webOS secrets" is, but I for one, am thankful.

It has made it much more festive and interesting around here. ...and let's be truthful, it was starting to get pretty boring around here. ;-)

"The future"s so bright, I have to wear shades" - Timbuk 3

I might use it once or twice a year on construction sites. Other than that, who knows...
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    It's amazing how much activity one new "member" (fudge) can create with 6 posts in one day. (the only day "fudge" was ever here.)

So, who was/is "fudge"?

Most likely, a "fudged" account, but by who?

Someone here? ....maybe a former Palm employee?

Oh, who is this mysterious person who filled our pointless lives with so much info. ;-)

I know, we may never know who this "leak-er of webOS secrets" is, but I for one, am thankful.

It has made it much more festive and interesting around here. ...and let's be truthful, it was starting to get pretty boring around here. ;-)

"The future"s so bright, I have to wear shades" - Timbuk 3
    This all lends credence to him likely being an official leaker. Most legit leakers stick around for all the attention. It's highly unusual to just do a drive by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    This all lends credence to him likely being an official leaker. Most legit leakers stick around for all the attention. It's highly unusual to just do a drive by.
    That's very true!

Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Get a car dock for the tablet and use it as a huge GPS navigation device? I think that would be pretty cool.

A lot of food 'review' application's on the iPad make use of the compass and GPS by showing you the direction and distance relative to your current location.

Also, the maps application makes use it of it to show the direction you're pointed. While it may not seem practical on a tablet, it certainly has its uses on occasion. I'd rather have it than not have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    A lot of food 'review' application's on the iPad make use of the compass and GPS by showing you the direction and distance relative to your current location.

Also, the maps application makes use it of it to show the direction you're pointed. While it may not seem practical on a tablet, it certainly has its uses on occasion. I'd rather have it than not have it.
    +1
    As the saying goes "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    +1
    As the saying goes "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it"
    Sounds like a pack rat/hoarder.
    I'd rather not have it and have a cheaper tablet overall.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!

I think rather than a list of things it would be good for, it's important to remember what it does for the device.

A GPS is good for telling you where you are, but it cannot tell you orientation unless you are moving. A compass is required for the device to know which direction you are looking if you're standing still (or moving slowly).

So, basically any application that is direction oriented would need a compass. As a matter of fact, it seems it would be more important on a tablet than on a phone.
    On that note, does it need more than one compass to work laying flat and being held upright?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    On that note, does it need more than one compass to work laying flat and being held upright?
    I'm not sure, I've not done a lot of research into the electronic compases. I have one on my auto-tiller for my boat, and I've held it in many different angles, and it always seems to work.

Got my curiosity up.
    OK, got this from Wikipedia:

Small compasses found in clocks, mobile phones, and other electronic devices are solid-state compasses, usually built out of two or three magnetic field sensors that provide data for a microprocessor. The correct heading relative to the compass is calculated using trigonometry.

By that description, it sounds like there are no moving parts, so I don't think how you held it would matter.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910