Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How many people fear their new WebOS tablet will be mistaken for an iPad? I am. I am in the Art Department all day long, work with Photoshop, but usea Palm phone and run Windows 7. I am regularly questioned about my hardware choices. PalmPad will just be another. 'Oh, that's cool...but have you seen the iPad?'

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Isn't that an opportunity to educate other people on the options out there?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    a lot of people think my pre2 is a windows phone or the blackberry storm...i either feel like smacking them or laughing at them.
    I got a sprint pre, and for a year or so no one had a clue what it was. For the last few months it was a Blackberry Torch.

This is annoying, but its HPs problem to fix, not mine.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 01/23/2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Isn't that an opportunity to educate other people on the options out there?
    That's my view. I would answer by showing the additional features.

If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Agreed .... I've been asked multiple times if my Pre+ is a torch. People seem so disappointed when I tell them "no, it's a Palm Pre". I really hope HP can change the world for WebOS phones this year: enough of this 'red-head stepchild' business!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    Agreed .... I've been asked multiple times if my Pre+ is a torch. People seem so disappointed when I tell them "no, it's a Palm Pre". I really hope HP can change the world for WebOS phones this year: enough of this 'red-head stepchild' business!
    My experience is different. People ask me which phone do I have when I'm messing around with it. I show them the back with Palm's name and they don't object nor do they jump up and down in praise.

Show one in my office has a Torch and I played around with it and if anyone can mistake a Torch in terms of looks and OS operation with a Pre, well I really don't know what to say.

All I know is that when I show people my AT&T Pre Plus and what it can do, i.e like last week when I showed it to the other woman with a BB in the office whom had asked which phone I have, they're certainly not disappointed. No one that has seen my phone in operation has been disappointed. They're impressed and I haven't even hacked my phone.

But to the point of the OP, until other non-Apple pads start to build momentum, people will confuse any similar sized tab with a Apple pad. That's the nature of the beast. Motorola's pad will be confused with Apple's pad just as HP's and Vizio's pads will be. It's not just a HP problem.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I have more important things to worry about in life.
    I think it will be fun, for the education part, as mentioned. I hadn't ever seen an iPad untl I was at the airport a couple months ago, and now, it's the only place I see them. Might be cool when I'm near someone with an iPad and I can show them how superior the OS is compared to iOS.

Until they show me all their sweet apps, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I think it will be fun, for the education part, as mentioned. I hadn't ever seen an iPad untl I was at the airport a couple months ago, and now, it's the only place I see them. Might be cool when I'm near someone with an iPad and I can show them how superior the OS is compared to iOS.

How do you impress other iOS device? Open 20 different web browser? Ipad has a browser with the tab. I tried to show my friend my pre plus hotspot, and it didn't work because the profile got corrupted, it happens time to time. Bragging about multitask is getting old.
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post

And then the person sits next to you with his Playbook?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I have more important things to worry about in life.
    Me too. Just a small annoying, daily thing. That's all.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    In my experience, anything with a touch screen is an apple product. When ever I am using my phone I get "is that an iphone?". I was looking at the Palmpad renders on Engadget and people thought it was an ipad.

In the minds of uneducated masses the touch screen = apple product.
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    Was at a break between Prairie Home Companion rehearsal and the show, and we were all comparing our phones. I got a chance to show off by playing Angry Birds, flipping to my emails, answering a call and resuming Angry Birds.

A very pretentious mezzo showed me what I assume to have been a Android phone. She spoke into it, and someone else at the table got a text from her speech recognition proggie.

See. that's an example of the gee-whiz stuff Android and iOS folks love to show off. Because the user-base is so huge, and app devs flock to the platforms.

Then I asked her what the temperature was. She fumbled a bit while I showed her my B-Weather app, already opened in another card. And her built-in weather app was fed off of Accuweather, which routinely screws up our local forecast.

******* will fight, but WebOS is a robust, well thought-out lightweight OS.

The tablet (without a pen) is a new form-factor that Apple was the first to figure out. Windows ports are widely mocked because you can't get a right-click/left-click/hover OS to deal properly with a digitizer.

HP is not as hip as Apple, but their revenues make Apple look like a lemonade stand. They spent a lot of money for Palm, and I have no doubt that their tablet will be powerful and easy to work with.
    "Is that the new iPhone?"

No. It's a Palm Pre. *shows it to them*.

"Is that the new iPad?"

No. It's a PalmPad. *shows it to them*.

Not difficult nor annoying at all. You don't have to prove it's better or hell, even different. Just tell it like it is.

"Yeah it's just like the iPhone (iPad), but I prefer it because I really like the operating system (software) it runs on much better than the Apple stuff."

That's usually what I end up saying to the "uneducated masses".
    Yep. If the keyboard is hidden, people ask me if it's an iPhone. If the keyboard is out, people ask me if it's a Blackberry. Might response? It has the best features of each, and oh yeah, it multi-tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by TyBec View Post
    In my experience, anything with a touch screen is an apple product. When ever I am using my phone I get "is that an iphone?". I was looking at the Palmpad renders on Engadget and people thought it was an ipad.

In the minds of uneducated masses the touch screen = apple product.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    How do you impress other iOS device? Open 20 different web browser? Ipad has a browser with the tab. I tried to show my friend my pre plus hotspot, and it didn't work because the profile got corrupted, it happens time to time. Bragging about multitask is getting old.

Don't know about your profile corruption or anything. If my wifi worked on my phone, I might be able to tell you mine is different. What can iOS do that WebOS can't? The only thing the Apple line has is the apps. That's it. The OS is so incredibly basic, there is nothing to it at all.

How about I'll have a few web browsers open, a music app that isn't the native one playing in the background, pulling up Vimeo videos in full Flash, grabbing that new app from the catalog, and having Twitter and FB open as well. Really, the multitasking is a powerful tool that when used on a tablet device, which is most likely replacing your laptop which you would normally do some of the same things, can be quite enticing.

I'm curious though... What is your million dollar idea that would be a different idea than any other tablet on the market today? So far, the only differences I see with any of these are the different OS, but after that it's down to the apps which I agree, there aren't enough out there for WebOS and it'll be up to HP to get more, but I think the core idea is the OS is so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    And then the person sits next to you with his Playbook?

Touché. That would just confuse the hell out of people.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    It all depends on whether you're buying it to meet your needs or to impress others.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    How do you impress other iOS device?...
    Actually, he didn't say "impress", he said "show them how superior the OS is compared to iOS". I know it's a subtle difference, but it is a difference.

Most of the iPhone users I've seen are unimipressable, except by an Apple device. It begins with Apple, it ends with Apple, there is nothing else but Apple. And, if you enjoy your non-Apple device, then you have a problem.

But, it is fun to play the "me too" game every now and then.
    I might also add that you could buy a Maserati and have someone pull up to you at a stoplight and say, "Is that a BMW?" To which, if you were really cool, you would flatly answer, "No," rev the engine to 5000 rpm, and be off in an Italian symphony of smoke and properly tuned exhaust notes.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast