Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I might also add that you could buy a Maserati and have someone pull up to you at a stoplight and say, "Is that a BMW?" To which, if you were really cool, you would flatly answer, "No," rev the engine to 5000 rpm, and be off in an Italian symphony of smoke and properly tuned exhaust notes.
    So now webOS is Maserati and iOS is BMW? wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    So now webOS is Maserati and iOS is BMW? wow.
    Only in the sense of how well-known each is. I just picked two high-end brands, one well-known and one not so much. I didn't intend to make any other performance/style/quality/etc analogies.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Before the Torch came out, I was always asked: "what kind of phone is that?"
    Once the Torch came out, it then became: "Is that the Blackberry Torch?"
    About 2 weeks ago, someone asked me" Is that the Palm Pre?"

And I didn't know how to respond, I've had my Pre for almost a year and a half, and he was the first to get it right. So I took the opportunity to show off the overclocked, homebrewed goodness of webOS . He still liked his iPhone more, but oh well .
    Hopefully a new super device will be unveiled on Feb 9th, and my new webOS phone will get mistaken for some HTC Android phone, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Only in the sense of how well-known each is. I just picked two high-end brands, one well-known and one not so much. I didn't intend to make any other performance/style/quality/etc analogies.
    Fair enough. Let me put it this way, iOS is BMW X5, it's perfect for daily drive, very reliable and popular, not so much on off road. webOS is like LandRover, one of the best off road vehicle in this class and all around great SUV. However, it's really un-reliable. X5 sells much more because of the brand and the reliability. LandRover loved by hardcore fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    I am in the Art Department all day long, work with Photoshop, but usea Palm phone and run Windows 7.
    I assume you mean the Art Department at a college or university. If so, don't worry about it.

Once you get out into the real world you'll realize that the old line about the whole graphic design industry using Mac is total BS that was never true, and is less true now than it ever was before. Mac has a better market share in the graphic design world, but it still trails Windows. As a photographer, I can tell you that there are countless plugins that are either windows-only, or available on Windows first, and then released for Mac later.

Plus, with the sniping back and forth between Apple and Adobe, I wouldn't be shocked if Adobe started slowing down updates to Photoshop for mac, or doing something else equally ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Just think !! every time someone say "oh neat is that the new ipad" you can say " umm noo its wayyyyy better , let me show you what it can do !"
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Fair enough. Let me put it this way, iOS is BMW X5, it's perfect for daily drive, very reliable and popular, not so much on off road. webOS is like LandRover, one of the best off road vehicle in this class and all around great SUV. However, it's really un-reliable. X5 sells much more because of the brand and the reliability. LandRover loved by hardcore fan.
    In what way is WebOS "unreliable"? You did mention the OS, not the hardware.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    In what way is WebOS "unreliable"? You did mention the OS, not the hardware.

ok, let me see. My gtalk has been working for long time, I have reboot and pulled my battery. Now, I used to be able to just delete the account and readd happened but now i can't even delete. Even before, I had to delete my account atleast once or twice a week to make it work. I think this is definately a bug and I've seen many people had this issue.

Second, i can't play Korean or Japanese music with the name were in Korean or Japanese, it was introduced on one of the os upgrade. I've created a ticket, but no hope of it's getting fix. I saw someone else had this issue too.

third, my web browser randomly just reload. Really annoying.

Four, if I have like 10+ cards open, it slows down alot, well I just close them but annoying.

Fifth, random reboot.

Six, phone quality. I am having so much hard time hearing other person. I have to use the headphone.

I can keep go on. As you can see it's mostly OS issue. Dispite alot of people, I have very little hardware issue.

And I am not the only one who has this kind of issue and i am getting really tired of waiting Palm/HP to fix it. I just learned to live with it, just like many LandRover owners.
    I am not afraid of ppl getting it wrong when I have my Pre out. I do get some strange comments. One person will be impressed on how cool it seems, another will gruffly boast "Palm is Dead." but when it comes to brass tacks, WebOS holds it's own.

I demonstrated my pre hotspot to an iPad owner once and he was very impressed. That was before I was given an iPad last june. I like it a lot. And I use it to read and take notes, listen to music, etc. But I am amazed at all of the situations where it comes up short. Like simple word processing. I have to fall back on the notepad app because everything else I've tried has sucked. No, my pre doesn't do any better. That's why I still carry my laptop.

Here's hoping HP turns it around and hits a home run.
    Image a world in which someone is holding an iPad and someone else asks, "Is that the new HP pad?"
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    ok, let me see. My gtalk has been working for long time, I have reboot and pulled my battery. Now, I used to be able to just delete the account and readd happened but now i can't even delete. Even before, I had to delete my account atleast once or twice a week to make it work. I think this is definately a bug and I've seen many people had this issue.

Second, i can't play Korean or Japanese music with the name were in Korean or Japanese, it was introduced on one of the os upgrade. I've created a ticket, but no hope of it's getting fix. I saw someone else had this issue too.

Four, if I have like 10+ cards open, it slows down alot, well I just close them but annoying.

Fifth, random reboot.

Six, phone quality. I am having so much hard time hearing other person. I have to use the headphone.

I can keep go on. As you can see it's mostly OS issue. Dispite alot of people, I have very little hardware issue.

And I am not the only one who has this kind of issue and i am getting really tired of waiting Palm/HP to fix it. I just learned to live with it, just like many LandRover owners.
    I am trying to figure out how you're having most of these problems. I have not experienced any of this.
    Granted, I don't have oriental music files or gtalk. but my call quality is great and no random reboots, slow down issues or browser reloads.

May be a faulty phone? or is that a minus and they just suck more than a plus?

The popular GTalk program worked, until Google changed their APIs. That's not a Palm OS issue, it's a GTalk issue. Try Voogle, seems to work good, but Google (a competitor to Palm, I might add) could very well break that one as well.

Yeah, that's weird, but not totally unsurprising. Linux is somewhat particular about filenames. Change the names.

Ten? Wow. How many apps can you get open at the same time on that stable OS you were talking about? That's like complaining that the Mazarati develops a wobble at 180, and the LandRover doesn't (switching the metaphor a little).

You did say WebOS, not the phone. C'mon, don't go changing on us now.

No, actually not.

LandRover owners learn to live with Pre problems??? Now you're really confusing me.

I've got a Honda, it starts up every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    LandRover owners learn to live with Pre problems??? Now you're really confusing me.

I've got a Honda, it starts up every time.
    Ha ha ha ... good thing it's not a TOYota lol jk.

But I agree with your post 100% man. These are not WebOS problems, maybe a few. But I have never heard any real complaints about WebOS being unreliable. Hardware, yes, not software.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    There's enough OS problems here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...omplaints.html

You guys really expect webOS 3 to have less, based on our experiences with 1 and 2.
    That's just an hilarious lot of love.
    I have no expectations about WebOS 3, still waiting on 2 for my device. FWIW, complaints != unstable OS, nor do bugs. If that were the case, there would be no "stable" os.

WebOS is stable. Not perfect, but stable.

If you type PreCentral on a TouchPad
    It changes to PreMenstrual
    That situation needs to be fixed!
    I would say webos is the least reliable vs ios and android. My brother and dad have iphones and my friends have android.

I have issues with hanging up calls, video recording and with the gps reguarly. (With many different pres and pixis)
  15.    #35  
    My phone is pretty unstable too. Sometimes it just freaks out at me. But it seems to be software issues that cause hang-ups more than anything, ie Evernote. Plus I am overclocking on an original Pre, which is making hardware do something it isn't supposed to do anyway. Without overclocking this phone is practically useless (considering multitasking doesn't shine at 500 megahertz). But, still, despite all the crap that happens, I still think it is far more capable than any other mobile OS. Just an opinion. But, seriously. Who else can seamlessly go for a jog, map all that GPS statistics while listening to internet radio, and switch to podcasts or mp3s on the fly like this can? It is very brag worthy (when it works).

Who else can seamlessly go for a jog, map all that GPS statistics while listening to internet radio, and switch to podcasts or mp3s on the fly like this can? It is very brag worthy (when it works).

Android can do it. And iOS can do it in certain degree with their multitask.
  17.    #37  
    Does Android do it with ease? Because their UI seems too complicated to me. More than the function of multitasking, I think WebOS' card view is what makes it so amazingly appealing to me. It is just intuitively obvious. Again, just my opinion.

Does Android do it with ease? Because their UI seems too complicated to me. More than the function of multitasking, I think WebOS' card view is what makes it so amazingly appealing to me. It is just intuitively obvious. Again, just my opinion.

It doesn't take more effort in Android. Only more knowledge.

If you use Launcher Pro, for example, you can click the home button from any app to take you to the main page - the equivalent of card view - and then simply swipe up from the home icon on the screen to bring up your sixteen most recently used apps. You can switch to any of them instantly, whereas in WebOS, you'd have to scroll linearly through that many cards. And just as in WebOS, the music player controls should appear in your notification area for easy access. If you care to, you can set up podcast apps and throw widgets on any of the seven screens you like.

That's not to say WebOS' is inferior or Android is superior. These are matters of taste, but they have their attributes for the multitasker. If you wanna limit yourself to just one, have at it.
    they have some addon app that can do very easy multitask in android, i think there's on topic in crossplatform section. And by default, you can hold on home button for 1 or 2 second. you will get a windows with the apps running. you can switch around the apps within couple of second in android.

Apple, you double click on home button, it will open up the slot with upto 8 apps running on the bottom. it can be done within couple of second.

Just like Mikah, it's just a matter of your taste. yes, I like webOS multitask the best, but other OS can do it in different way.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It doesn't take more effort in Android. Only more knowledge.

If you use Launcher Pro, for example, you can click the home button from any app to take you to the main page - the equivalent of card view - and then simply swipe up from the home icon on the screen to bring up your sixteen most recently used apps. You can switch to any of them instantly, whereas in WebOS, you'd have to scroll linearly through that many cards. And just as in WebOS, the music player controls should appear in your notification area for easy access. If you care to, you can set up podcast apps and throw widgets on any of the seven screens you like.

That's not to say WebOS' is inferior or Android is superior. These are matters of taste, but they have their attributes for the multitasker. If you wanna limit yourself to just one, have at it.
    Launcher pro is actually more similar to launcher pages on webos actually... just sayin'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12