View Poll Results: what would be the most important functions the webOS pads need to have?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full feature web browser, flash, remember password, etc

22 32.84%
  • App that is fully compatible with MS office and allows editing

18 26.87%
  • Video conferencing that can communication with other phones and PC/Macs

2 2.99%
  • File manager, local file management

1 1.49%
  • Google Navigation

1 1.49%
  • Much improved email app, responsive, faster

5 7.46%
  • Online video streaming, capable of Hulu, netflix

10 14.93%
  • Some kind of live TV

1 1.49%
  • Some professional apps, such as epocraties

2 2.99%
  • Others. Please specify

5 7.46%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HI all,

Well all of these are on my wish list! How about the rest of you?

Take care,

Jay

What’s on your HP 'PalmPad' wish list?
    Fri Aug 20, 3:26 pm ET

Print Story: What’s on your HP 'PalmPad' wish list? - Yahoo! News

Get ready for a tablet based on Palm’s WebOS mobile platform in "early 2011," executives promised during HP’s earnings call Thursday. That’s about all we got in the way of detail — indeed, the upcoming tablet doesn’t even have an official name yet.

That said, we did learn last month that HP (which finalized its acquisition of Palm last month) is seeking to secure a trademark fo "PalmPad," although there’s some debate on whether HP will actually use that name for the eventual WebOS-powered slate. There’s also been talk that the tablet could come with a digital pen, similar to HP’s existing "tm" line of TouchSmart notebooks.

Finally, we’ve heard reports of a so-called "Roadrunner" device running on WebOS 2.0 cropping up in developer logs — quite interesting, given that the most recent release of WebOS is still only 1.4.5. Of course, there’s no telling what "Roadrunner" could be; perhaps it’s a tablet, maybe a revamped Palm Pre, or possibly something that’ll never see the light of day.

Among the many things we don’t know about HP’s WebOS slate (besides the name): the size and resolution of the screen, what kind of processor it’ll have, how many ports, storage, cameras ... the list goes on. Basically, we’ve got a blank slate here. (Sorry, couldn’t resist the pun.)

That means we’re free to let our imaginations run wild and draw up our own feature wish lists for the tablet, which — thanks to Palm’s innovative, easy-to-use WebOS (if you haven’t flicked any WebOS app "cards" back and forth yet, or flicked up to quit with a satisfying "poof," I urge you to give it a try) — could give the iPad and upcoming Android tablets a run for their money.

What’s on my wish list? How about ...

One of Qualcomm’s new 1.5GHz "Snapdragon" processors, for starters. A 10-inch display would be nice. Front- and rear-facing cameras, naturally. A revamped version of WebOS optimized for tablets. A slim design that’s no more than 1.5 pounds, with at least 10 hours of battery life (for which I’d give up the user-replacable battery). That rumored digital pen? Bring it on. At least one USB port, plus an HDMI output — a real one that doesn’t need an adapter, preferably. The ability to send documents directly to printers (this is HP, after all). 3G? I guess, but one might be able to live without it, given that the Palm Pre Plus already acts as a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot (and any future WebOS smartphones presumably would too). Oh, right — an SD card reader. And apps, lots of apps (easier said than done).

And here’s a crazy idea that just might work: a handle. Just a small thin one along the side or the top, like the ones on the tablets that Sigourney Weaver & co. were toting around in "Avatar."

Last but not least: Any thoughts about a slide-out QWERTY keypad? I know, I know — a physical keypad flies in the face of the whole touchscreen tablet idea, and it could also add unwanted bulk to the device. Remember, though: Palm’s been partial to QWERTY keypads lately — consider the Palm Pre and the Pixi, both of which boast physical QWERTYs — and it would be an attention-getting difference between the PalmPad (or whatever it ends up being called) and its iPad/Android-based competitors. On the other hand, Palm also has a proud history of touch- and pen-based text input (one word: Graffiti), and let’s not forget about those digital pen rumors, so maybe HP will go the all-touch way with its WebOS slate. Anyway, just throwing it out there for discussion.

So, what’s on your WebOS tablet wish list?

Computerworld: WebOS tablet coming early next year

— Ben Patterson is a technology writer for Yahoo! News.

Follow me on Twitter!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Interesting article. I think my number one feature on my wish list (for the moment at least) is a Swype on screen keyboard. I think that'll give the PalmPad a big advantage over the ipad in terms of tect input. I'd rather not have a physical keyboard on the pad. I don't want the extra bulk, and moving parts will make it easier to break.
    I think it should have a 16x10 aspect ratio and do 720p video. That would be a major differentiator from apple's puny 1024x800 crap.
    They better not have a hardware keyboard. I want at least an 720P screen and a dual core processor.
    I think i'd prefer omap 4 since it's more battery efficient, and has a better gpu. Imagine a pen input plus photoshop on the go. Maybe have a secondary gpu that turns on when doing intense tasks like photoshop, but turns off when it's not needed to save battery.
    My wish is that it not be a "pad"
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    ^ What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    My wish is that it not be a "pad"
    While it's not my favorite name, it's most likely a smart business move considering hp already does tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    While it's not my favorite name, it's most likely a smart business move considering hp already does tablets.
    Then it will be a continuation of their tablet line but less business oriented
    My wish? JUST TO HAVE ONE SOONER THAN LATTER!
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    I'd prefer later if it means less bugs and better "out-of-the-box" performance
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    I'd prefer later if it means less bugs and better "out-of-the-box" performance
    I'll upgrade. You and I both know we have to be first.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    The more i hear about tablets being named ****PAD, the more i hate it. Please just give me a name like "Syner-Slate", or "Palm Portal", or anything as long as it isn't a PAD... If nothing else, make the name something original.

USB x 2
    IR port
    Expandable RAM
    Multi-Card slot (not just sd)
    Mic input
    Headphone output
    Stylus/Pen SUPPORT
    HDMI output
    Dual-core (professional) model
    Single core (consumer) model

I think these are pretty solid as far as what most people want in a tablet and I would be worried if it didn't meet this list.
    I want a HP Voodoo Tablet running webOS! Can you imagine that sickness?

All this time we've been begging for HTC to make our hardware..."F" That!!! Let's unloose the HP/Voodoo team on both the tablet and handset! I'm sure they would blow us away!
    Let's unloose the HP/Voodoo team on both the tablet and handset! I'm sure they would blow us away!
    Quote Originally Posted by ethic3 View Post
    Let's unloose the HP/Voodoo team on both the tablet and handset! I'm sure they would blow us away!
    I'd also LOVE to see Rahul Sood work on a Voodoo webOS tablet. I'd end up buying it for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberiian View Post
    The more i hear about tablets being named ****PAD, the more i hate it. Please just give me a name like "Syner-Slate", or "Palm Portal", or anything as long as it isn't a PAD... If nothing else, make the name something original.

USB x 2
    IR port
    Expandable RAM
    Multi-Card slot (not just sd)
    Mic input
    Headphone output
    Stylus/Pen SUPPORT
    HDMI output
    Dual-core (professional) model
    Single core (consumer) model

I think these are pretty solid as far as what most people want in a tablet and I would be worried if it didn't meet this list.
    Sounds like you need a windows tablet.
    100% flash support accross the board.
    Ability to run in mobile mode or full desktop mode on any app
    No bluetooth limitations
    Some kind of Pre interface
    Touchstone abilities esp use of existing touchstone charger
    Speed

and number one.....
    Something that makes my wife say "Yes dear you can buy that", without any hesitation or resistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I think it should have a 16x10 aspect ratio and do 720p video. That would be a major differentiator from apple's puny 1024x800 crap.
    Lots of speculation that Palm will have similar resolution to iphone's retina screen in the next smartphone. Supposedly so that iphone apps can be easily ported.

If so, then it stands to reason Palm will match the iPad's resolution for a palmpad so that ipad apps can be ported.

Fuzzy text was one (but not the only) reason for taking my iPad back. I'd like to see HP do some doubling of the ipad's resolution instead. 2048×1536 on a 9.7" screen. That, i'd be interested in and iOS apps still can get ported over. This is stuff HP must do to get noticed.
    My wish is that they don't do something stupid like try and dual boot it with Win7. I hope they keep the specs down and reach a sub $250 price point.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast