View Poll Results: what would be the most important functions the webOS pads need to have?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full feature web browser, flash, remember password, etc

22 32.84%
  • App that is fully compatible with MS office and allows editing

18 26.87%
  • Video conferencing that can communication with other phones and PC/Macs

2 2.99%
  • File manager, local file management

1 1.49%
  • Google Navigation

1 1.49%
  • Much improved email app, responsive, faster

5 7.46%
  • Online video streaming, capable of Hulu, netflix

10 14.93%
  • Some kind of live TV

1 1.49%
  • Some professional apps, such as epocraties

2 2.99%
  • Others. Please specify

5 7.46%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    This Clevin really loves making polls.
    Here is one thing that i think is important.....I would hate to listen to music while doing other things with my webos pad, if i have to have a card open for the music app without being able to minimize it.

an Idea that I have that would be awesome is if you can flick a card down, and it will minimize it into a Icon in the banner notifications....and if you want to change song or something you click on Icon and it expands into dashboard notification (which webos does already) and then back gesture to put it back to banner notification, or if you want to open up the card just click on dashboard notification to bring the card back up.

That would allow apps to run in background without being in card view, and it keeps minimized apps in small banner notification Icon so you know what is exactly running at all times...
    Gotta have eBook store with this.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    my wishlist includes, dual cameras, rear one capable of taking 720p footage if not 1080p, a full SD card slot, high res screen at the very very least 720p, HDMI out, and yeah, give it a nice dual core chip and lots of ram and I'll be a very happy camper
    I have the dual camera, now and can't think of a reason to use it. Lol

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    I like the idea of a better gripping edge. It's something all these other pads and tablets have ignored. Adam Corolla had a point when he said Apple makes products that are designed to be dropped. They're bars of soap. There seems to be no thought given to how these things are held. Tell me this doesn't look awkward and uncomfortable:

My wrist would ache after about five minutes holding it this way.
    Doesn't seem awkward to me, that's the way I usually hold and navigate my Evo.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    When you turn it on it just works, no patches or homebrew required for basic functionality and that the battery does not die in two hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Gotta have eBook store with this.
    We have Kobo eBooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Here is one thing that i think is important.....I would hate to listen to music while doing other things with my webos pad, if i have to have a card open for the music app without being able to minimize it.

an Idea that I have that would be awesome is if you can flick a card down, and it will minimize it into a Icon in the banner notifications....and if you want to change song or something you click on Icon and it expands into dashboard notification (which webos does already) and then back gesture to put it back to banner notification, or if you want to open up the card just click on dashboard notification to bring the card back up.

That would allow apps to run in background without being in card view, and it keeps minimized apps in small banner notification Icon so you know what is exactly running at all times...
    Music (Remix) already does this. There's a minimize button. Now obviously thst wouldn't be the case on Palm's default, but you can ertainly purchase it when webOS 2.0 comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Lots of speculation that Palm will have similar resolution to iphone's retina screen in the next smartphone. Supposedly so that iphone apps can be easily ported.

If so, then it stands to reason Palm will match the iPad's resolution for a palmpad so that ipad apps can be ported.

Fuzzy text was one (but not the only) reason for taking my iPad back. I'd like to see HP do some doubling of the ipad's resolution instead. 20481536 on a 9.7" screen. That, i'd be interested in and iOS apps still can get ported over. This is stuff HP must do to get noticed.
    App's can't just be "ported". Games can, with a bit of work, due to the architecture but iOS-specific applications cannot just be ported; they have to be entirely rewritten.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I have the dual camera, now and can't think of a reason to use it. Lol

Sent from my eVo
    No friends or family that also have a device with front-facing camera to video-call with? I spend on average ~2 hours a week video-calling with my mother, grandmother, and sister (we all live in several different states).
    Quote Originally Posted by Knsnik View Post
    stream netflix
    that would just be netflix developing an app to do such thing
    Onenote (and MS Office overall) integration would make me an early adopter. Right now I'm toting around an HP TM2, and that thing is pretty chunky. My company is giving me a laptop soon, so I'm going to have to ditch the HP and slim down to a tablet if I want to carry around a personal device.
    "...human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

-Ghostbusters
    The most important feature to me will be for it to have my name engraved on it.
    <<thread merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The most important feature to me will be for it to have my name engraved on it.
    Yes.

I'd like it to have something like my sig below. Except it can't cuz that's Alienware (Dell). : /.
    Quote Originally Posted by distrait View Post
    Interesting article. I think my number one feature on my wish list (for the moment at least) is a Swype on screen keyboard. I think that'll give the PalmPad a big advantage over the ipad in terms of tect input. I'd rather not have a physical keyboard on the pad. I don't want the extra bulk, and moving parts will make it easier to break.
    I second no physical keyboard. If they put some type of Swype on the PalmPad and/or something like it, I would be happy. They should also put this on their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by ethic3 View Post
    I want a HP Voodoo Tablet running webOS! Can you imagine that sickness?

All this time we've been begging for HTC to make our hardware..."F" That!!! Let's unloose the HP/Voodoo team on both the tablet and handset! I'm sure they would blow us away!
    I wonder if that might happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I saw someone else mentioned IR port -- don't understand why that would be important...
    Think IR remote control from your super remote -- the PalmPad.
    Check out Toshiba's teaser site for their tablet. HP should match the Toshiba tablet specs. Note the Pixi-like replacable rubber back.

Http://www.thetoshibatablet.com
    I would like to see Wacom stylus and PixelQi screen as an options...
    To challenge iPad, HP needs to take the business market or do something revolutionary in the consumer market. Given HP's focus and Palm's history, they should go the business route.

Palm has been known of synchronization since the beginning (Hotsync, Synergy). Palm has a history of productivity apps on Palm OS moreso than games and entertainment. HP has printers and other serious hardware in the corporate world to leverage.

They need to combine their brand awareness and strengths to create something that seamlessly allows professionals to go from their professional life to their personal life without losing productivity or "coolness" or "hotness" depending on your generational persuasion.

I'm thinking seamless syncing between labeled MS Office files/folders on multiple machines. I'm thinking services that allow folks to manage what information is exposed to the personal vs. professional networks for syncing and sharing. I'm thinking remote management of hardware for IT departments that allows interaction from PalmPad to every HP device in Wifi range or on the network. I'm thinking, non-email, push notifications for corporations to send the equivalent of text messages broader embedded capabilities.

On the consumer side, things are tougher. For that I'm thinking integration with Amazon Kindle books which will need a PixelQi or other transflective screen like the Notion Ink Adam. From a design standpoint, HP could do a lot by differentiation like the Adam, just on WebOS instead of Andorid. Somehow combine gaming, social networking and cloud services to create a compelling interactive gaming experience. Work with AT&T Uverse or Comcast to create a seamless experience in home entertainment and on-the-go entertainment. Lastly, partner with someone to write THE killer home automation app based on wireline/wireless protocols that a upper middle class housewife could use. Get them using it by controlling home entertainment MP3 collections and transfer them into home security and sprinkler systems.

The good news is that most of this stuff uses Palm expertise in web standards and protocols.

Hardware wise, give me multiple cores, serious RAM, and external storage options. Don't spend the money on cameras and USB ports and give me a PixelQi e-ink screen. Do make a tripod connection or something else so I can set it at the right angle outside of a case or stand for capturing video/videoconferencing. Get multi-touch right. Pick the right screen and work on the software to make it dufus easy.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast