View Poll Results: what would be the most important functions the webOS pads need to have?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full feature web browser, flash, remember password, etc

22 32.84%
  • App that is fully compatible with MS office and allows editing

18 26.87%
  • Video conferencing that can communication with other phones and PC/Macs

2 2.99%
  • File manager, local file management

1 1.49%
  • Google Navigation

1 1.49%
  • Much improved email app, responsive, faster

5 7.46%
  • Online video streaming, capable of Hulu, netflix

10 14.93%
  • Some kind of live TV

1 1.49%
  • Some professional apps, such as epocraties

2 2.99%
  • Others. Please specify

5 7.46%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    <<threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    For me anything from a 7-10 inch screen would be great...
    I think most people do not understand just how big of a difference that is. People think about the iPad screen which is 9.7". The upcoming GTab is 7". The Dell Streak is 5". People seem to believe those are gradual steps. Their not.

You can literally place two 7" GTabs on the surface of one 9.7" iPad. That's a huge difference. 9.7" is twice the size of a 7" screen. A 5" screen is closer to phone size than anything else. Some people say they want a 7" screen because it is different from the iPad. They think it is only a little smaller, like the difference in the size of an iPhone and a Pre. Not even close!

For my part, I can't see the usefulness of a 7" screen. A screen that is half the size of my iPad is no longer useful for web browsing and book reading, as the font would have to be much smaller, and therefore, unusable for me. Some games, like Angry Birds would still be OK. But once you've played on the big screen... Let's just say, I don't game on my iPhone anymore. Movies and video, same thing.

Here's the real kicker. Half my iPad still wouldn't fit in my pocket. I would still have to cary it in some sort of pouch. So it is not more mobile than the iPad. You have all the same issues of awkwardness without any of the benefits of screen size: readability, touch typing, gaming, movies, huge battery, etc. We already know a 7" screen is not a great size for computing. Remember the early netbooks? The only advantage a 7" screen has is that it is cheaper for the manufacturer. It would be a shame for Palm to fall into the 7" trap.
    Not sure if this is the right place for this but move it if not.

I just recently got internet in the house, and am readjusting to using my computer for email, internet surfing etc, after a few months without internet and a few things have irritated me in moving from my pre to my PC.

The main thing that is irritating about extensive web use, etc on my pre is the size of the screen. Add to the the lack of flash, and you have really the only two reasons I choose to use my pc rather than my pre.

Now that I am surfing PreCentral on my while watching my recent Netflix rental, I am noticing many things I wish i could do that my Pre does.

First, I was catching up on an MMA forum I frequent, and wanted to check the fight record of a fighter I was reading about on wikipedia. Now if I were on my pre all this would take is a simple up swipe to card view, type in said fighters name, select wikipedia, and boom Im there. Now on my PC I have to open a new tab, type in wikipedia.org, then type in the fighters name, blah blah blah. Doesn't sound so bad now that I type it, but is very irritating in practice.

There are many other things that I wish my PC did like webOS, ultimately I would love a 10" webOS tablet with flash, and I would be set.

I hate going to twitter, or facebook now on my computer, and don't. I only use my pre for tweeting, or checking facebook, or even to search craigslist, I only use zensearch, on my pre. All of the interfaces are so simple and intuitive, and on top of that I can so easily switch between cards, etc.

I know I am preaching to the choir, but I am easily one of the less tech savvy on this forum, and would love to hear some of your opinions on this, if there are current solutions I am missing in my tech ignorance, but also if any of you sympathize with this and if these are reasons you want a tablet as well.

Also any other things you with your PC did that you phone does.
    <<threads merged>>
    1. Applications by large third parties.
    2. At least 10 hours of battery.
    3. Don't need ports (USB, etc. - One sleek stream-lined piece of hardware)
    4. Hardware that looks as good or better than the iPad.
    5. No stylus, straight touch only on a quality touch screen.
    6. Bluetooth keyboard support.
    7. Did I mention large third party support?

For me, personally a WebOS tablet will be completely irrelevant and I wouldn't even consider buying one until it has a large backing by developers and other third parties. I'm not going to sacrifice the functionality and extendability of something like the iPad unless I'm taking a step forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    1. Applications by large third parties.
    2. At least 10 hours of battery.
    3. Don't need ports (USB, etc. - One sleek stream-lined piece of hardware)
    4. Hardware that looks as good or better than the iPad.
    5. No stylus, straight touch only on a quality touch screen.
    6. Bluetooth keyboard support.
    7. Did I mention large third party support?

For me, personally a WebOS tablet will be completely irrelevant and I wouldn't even consider buying one until it has a large backing by developers and other third parties. I'm not going to sacrifice the functionality and extendability of something like the iPad unless I'm taking a step forward.
    why not have a Wacom digitizer stylus on a capacitive touchscreen. You could get things like photoshop, and use it for note taking.
    They do that a lot...

I want it to have a built in touchstone back so I can charge my phone from my tablet. (not really though)
    An intuitive, robust calendar/planner app. I'm kinda old school and use a paper planner but would love to go digital as it is just easier to archive and keep organized.
    A stylus/wacom device would be a grand bonus. I use a fujitsu lifebook and have found that using the pen is quite accurate on a tablet pc and would be a great advantage to those who still like the feel of a pen and paper. With the tablet pc wacom pen it's as close as it gets.
    Should be HD display and able to output HD through HDMI.
    Removable battery.
    Bluetooth keyboard compatible. or docakble
    Dual boot with win7 would be kinda be cool.
    3g/4g capable.
    able to be used in the car.... almost like a removable head unit. (I'm so surprised this has not been implemented by anybody) If car use compatible... GPS
    Easy skinning and themeing.
    the ability to bring world peace....
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    definitely world peace! And the ability to use Bluetooth keyboards, and have a little stand to sit it up, so could take notes at lectures. Able to accept ginourmous SD cards to hold all my music, and to hold pictures too.

Phone capability NOT needed. Wireless definitley!
    Just an FYI for those wanting a stylus: not possible on a capacitive screen, it would have to be resistive touch which would be a terrible experience and a step backwards.

However, there have been a few decent stylus' made for the iPad: Want to take notes on an iPad? Here's your stylus | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews
    not realistic but i want

black sheet of glass with rounded and slightly translucent edges.
    No io ports.
    No buttons.
    No removable battery.
    Inductive charge only.
    Bluetooth headphones included.
    Side by side cards in landscape view.
    Maybe some sort of wireless usb interface box.

I think apple would describe it as magical.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Just an FYI for those wanting a stylus: not possible on a capacitive screen, it would have to be resistive touch which would be a terrible experience and a step backwards.

However, there have been a few decent stylus' made for the iPad: Want to take notes on an iPad? Here's your stylus | iPhone Atlas - CNET Reviews
    That's not true. There's a rumor that the tablet that Google is working on will use the N-Trig screen which is a capacitive sceen that can use a pen.

Here's the article I read - N-Trig to supply touchscreen for Google Chrome tablet | GottaBeMobile

Here's a link to the N-Trig website - N-trig

Edit: I've re-read the comments from the GotToBeMoible article and learned that HP uses N-Trig screens. I'm thinking that the WebOS Tablet may use this screen.

Edit 2: Here's a link to the screen in action - http://www.n-trig.com/Content.aspx?Page=n-trig2009video
    Last edited by slbailey1; 09/13/2010 at 03:05 PM.
    1. A reasonable touch input & typing application: like BlindType for 10 fingers
    2. Bluetooth HID support
    3. Battery life enormous + intelligent powermanagement for all the 3G, Wifi, other potentially hardware accellerated goodness.. and of course:
    a boatload of applications!
    And here’s a crazy idea that just might work: a handle.
    I like the idea of a better gripping edge. It's something all these other pads and tablets have ignored. Adam Corolla had a point when he said Apple makes products that are designed to be dropped. They're bars of soap. There seems to be no thought given to how these things are held. Tell me this doesn't look awkward and uncomfortable:

My wrist would ache after about five minutes holding it this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by papa4narchia View Post
    1. A reasonable touch input & typing application: like BlindType for 10 fingers
    BlindType looks quite impressive. I think Google bought them, so not much of a chance of getting it. BlindType and Swipe seem to be efforts to make touchscreen typing usable.

The iDevices have the best in the industry. They will only get better. Touch typing on the iPad is shockingly easy. I'm sure HP will come up with something similar. It clearly can be done, and HP has all that money. It should be no problem.
    Obviously webOS pads need more than one important functions to attract users. But we can't do multiple choices here, so just vote for the one you think you can't live without.

We can eventually round up top 3, or top 5, etc.
    Last edited by clevin; 01/20/2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    stream netflix
    Digitizer so I can use it as a sketchpad.
    All of them. Plus Manga reader, really good PDF reader, movie player that can play avi and vnc. If palmpad has these apps, I will buy it without even thinking twice.
    I really think MS Office integration is the most needed. Especially something like OneNote, it would greatly appeal to students that way if you can take hand written notes on it. I'd put a full feature web browser and file manager next. That way it really could replace a laptop/netbook in a lot of situations.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast