View Poll Results: what would be the most important functions the webOS pads need to have?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full feature web browser, flash, remember password, etc

22 32.84%
  • App that is fully compatible with MS office and allows editing

18 26.87%
  • Video conferencing that can communication with other phones and PC/Macs

2 2.99%
  • File manager, local file management

1 1.49%
  • Google Navigation

1 1.49%
  • Much improved email app, responsive, faster

5 7.46%
  • Online video streaming, capable of Hulu, netflix

10 14.93%
  • Some kind of live TV

1 1.49%
  • Some professional apps, such as epocraties

2 2.99%
  • Others. Please specify

5 7.46%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    1080P screen
    USB Ports
    USB 3.0 connectivity
    Bluetooth 3.0
    10MP camera with 2-3x optical zoom
    720p, front camera, usb and SD ports, apps for hulu and netflix, and the biggest feaking battery ever.
    you mean bigger than the ipads? lol isnt it like 80 percent of the ipad lol
    Palm prē-ist.
    Nothing less than a 2048 x 1536 9.7" screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    I need a Sonos app Sonos - Wireless Multi-Room Music System as I'm ready to buy the IPAD just for this app alone. I have a background in the HT arena and the IPAD has turned the HT controller market on it's head (Crestron, AMX, etc.). I think that HP/PALM can help this product have a much wider appeal vs. the IPAD (openess, ease of programming with 2.0, true multi tasking, etc.) if HP reaches out to the Lutrons, Control 4, SONOS, etc. and work with them to develop apps that are available at launch to help demonstrate that there are true alternatives to the Apple ecosystem.

Having the apps available at launch would go a long way to demonstrating how easy it is to port an app to the WEBOS platform.

This would get my vote in a heart beat!!
    Here's the problem. If you want a pad that is just as good as the iPad, has the developer support of the iPad, has the apps of the iPad, has the size, functionality, and battery life of the iPad, and has a total ecosystem that is a good alternative to the iPad, why not just get an iPad?

If you want HP to make something that the public will want to buy, it can't be just another Apple product clone who's main differentiator is, "We're not Apple!" Why not hope for something completely different? Why not try and imagine a successful tablet that is nothing like an iPad? Remember, Apple didn't have any apps the first year of the iPhone, and it still destroyed the market. Imagine something so compelling, it doesn't need an app ecosystem to be successful.

Why not imagine media partnerships and deals that Apple is incapable of securing, or methods of communication that Apple can't quite get right, or an input method that makes a keyboard obsolete? Why is everyone treating the iPad as if it is the reference model for the industry? It seems all people can think to do is ask for an iPad with slightly better specs: an even higher resolution, a bigger screen, a smaller screen, a different way to switch apps, etc. It all amounts to wanting an iPad with a different logo. In the mass market, such a product has no reason to exist. So my challenge is that you imagine something that does have a reason to exist.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Here's the problem. If you want a pad that is just as good as the iPad, has the developer support of the iPad, has the apps of the iPad, has the size, functionality, and battery life of the iPad, and has a total ecosystem that is a good alternative to the iPad, why not just get an iPad?

If you want HP to make something that the public will want to buy, it can't be just another Apple product clone who's main differentiator is, "We're not Apple!" Why not hope for something completely different? Why not try and imagine a successful tablet that is nothing like an iPad? Remember, Apple didn't have any apps the first year of the iPhone, and it still destroyed the market. Imagine something so compelling, it doesn't need an app ecosystem to be successful.

Why not imagine media partnerships and deals that Apple is incapable of securing, or methods of communication that Apple can't quite get right, or an input method that makes a keyboard obsolete? Why is everyone treating the iPad as if it is the reference model for the industry? It seems all people can think to do is ask for an iPad with slightly better specs: an even higher resolution, a bigger screen, a smaller screen, a different way to switch apps, etc. It all amounts to wanting an iPad with a different logo. In the mass market, such a product has no reason to exist. So my challenge is that you imagine something that does have a reason to exist.
    Perhaps because he likes WebOS better? Just putting that out there.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    Perhaps because he likes WebOS better? Just putting that out there.
    OK, but webOS doesn't have enough brand loyalty to sell well in the mass market. If this thread is only about webOS geeks expressing fruitless fantasies, don't let me interrupt. But if this is about imagining a webOS product that has a reason to exist, and a chance to make it in the arena, that sort of thinking want do.

It seems like every other thread is based on Apple hate or Apple envy. The last iteration of Palm, you know, the one that just died, was based completely on iPhone envy. We see where that got them. Now, it seems people want the HP version of Palm to pick up where the old one left off.
    Not to be named a "pad"

Seriously
    HP Palm Tornado
    4" Screen - 960x640 - front-mounted camera
    Rear-mounted 8 Gigapixel camera with dual-flash
    64GB of storage - SDHC expansion
    Micro-USB
    Irda with Universal Remote Control emulation software

HP Palm Tsunami
    7" Screen - 1024x786 - front-mounted camera
    128GB of storage - SD expansion
    Micro and Mini-USB
    HDMI out

HP Palm Hurricane
    10" Screen - 1280x800 - front-mounted camera
    256 GB of Storage - SD and SDHC expansion
    Two full-sized USB 3.0 slots with USB host capability
    HDMI out
    Pixel QI or Mirasol screen.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic

I agree, but every manufacturer is trying to capture that Apple magic b/c the media holds everything that comes out up the Apple test. If it doesn't pass the media's Apple test they won't deem it worthy. So manufacturers have to make products that are basically Apple clones. But even then Walt Mossberg will always say that the competition is good but not as good as the Ipad.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    7 inches is too small and I don't think HP is going to do less than Apple.
    I never said they can't have a 10 incher too, I just would rather have a 7-inch one as well

Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    720p, front camera, usb and SD ports, apps for hulu and netflix, and the biggest feaking battery ever.
    That would be awesome.

OK, but webOS doesn't have enough brand loyalty to sell well in the mass market. If this thread is only about webOS geeks expressing fruitless fantasies, don't let me interrupt. But if this is about imagining a webOS product that has a reason to exist, and a chance to make it in the arena, that sort of thinking want do.

It seems like every other thread is based on Apple hate or Apple envy. The last iteration of Palm, you know, the one that just died, was based completely on iPhone envy. We see where that got them. Now, it seems people want the HP version of Palm to pick up where the old one left off.
    First off...this thread is about both! Whatever you want the "PalmPad" to be, let it be! But I don't think the Palm Pre was meant to be an "iPhone clone" I like WebOS so much because it works different. They didn't copy the iPhone UI like so many others did. They didn't copy the form factor. Really, what it was meant to be was to merge the BlackBerry and an iPhone together. Meaning, instead of having two phones -- one for personal and one for business -- have just one that can do both. A jack of all trades, sorta.

At least thats what I got out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Not to be named a "pad"

Seriously
    LOL I hate the iPad name...and PalmPad is just as dumb. So i agree!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    HP Palm Tornado
    4" Screen - 960x640 - front-mounted camera
    Rear-mounted 8 Gigapixel camera with dual-flash
    64GB of storage - SDHC expansion
    Micro-USB
    Irda with Universal Remote Control emulation software

HP Palm Tsunami
    7" Screen - 1024x786 - front-mounted camera
    128GB of storage - SD expansion
    Micro and Mini-USB
    HDMI out

HP Palm Hurricane
    10" Screen - 1280x800 - front-mounted camera
    256 GB of Storage - SD and SDHC expansion
    Two full-sized USB 3.0 slots with USB host capability
    HDMI out
    I like! I would buy the Palm Tsunami ;-)
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    A serious word processing application.
    Quote Originally Posted by fed123 View Post
    A serious word processing application.
    quick office is coming in 2.0 remember lol
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    1080P screen
    USB Ports
    USB 3.0 connectivity
    Bluetooth 3.0
    10MP camera with 2-3x optical zoom
    Not that ^ wouldnt be great, but it would be very very unrealistic.

Usb ports would make the device pretty thick, most likely it will have one or more micro usb's

And a camera with an optical zoom would also make it a lot thicker, there is a reason the phone market have moved away from optical zooms back to digital, as no one wants a brick in their pocket anymore.

For me anything from a 7-10 inch screen would be great
    Blink notifications
    5mp camera on the back, and one on the front
    2 mic's
    Blutooth 3.0
    Wifi N
    a 720p screen....with a screen that small you will never notice any difference if it was 1080p
    good battery
    allow use of accessories, blutooth keyboard etc
    This one will never happen..but, a full web browser..not a mobile one
    <<threads merged>>
    What do you want to see when the new PalmPad premiers in 2011?
    Features?
    Services?
    Absorbancy
    Its obvious the only thing you should want in a Webos pad is Webos ...next question...lol.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I want integration between all other WebOS devices. For example, sliding a card off the screen on one device and it popping up on the next.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast