View Poll Results: what would be the most important functions the webOS pads need to have?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full feature web browser, flash, remember password, etc

22 32.84%
  • App that is fully compatible with MS office and allows editing

18 26.87%
  • Video conferencing that can communication with other phones and PC/Macs

2 2.99%
  • File manager, local file management

1 1.49%
  • Google Navigation

1 1.49%
  • Much improved email app, responsive, faster

5 7.46%
  • Online video streaming, capable of Hulu, netflix

10 14.93%
  • Some kind of live TV

1 1.49%
  • Some professional apps, such as epocraties

2 2.99%
  • Others. Please specify

5 7.46%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    My wish is that they don't do something stupid like try and dual boot it with Win7. I hope they keep the specs down and reach a sub $250 price point.
    Why would you want the specs down to save $? That just means instead of a moderately priced powerful device you've got a cheap crap "pad"
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Why would you want the specs down to save $? That just means instead of a moderately priced powerful device you've got a cheap crap "pad"
    I just don't want the specs up to run win7. I want smartphone specs, not laptop specs.
  3.    #23  
    Hi all,

The only thing truly on my wish list is...make this available right now!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Bluetooth keyboard support and stylus/pen support would be my top two.

I saw someone else mentioned IR port -- don't understand why that would be important, does anything besides older Palm OS devices support that any more?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  5.    #25  
    [QUOTE=jjeffcoat;2620061]Bluetooth keyboard support and stylus/pen support would be my top two.
    QUOTE]

Hi,

I like your thinking,

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'm willing to drop $400-$500 on a device as long as it is loaded for bear! Great suggestions above, but I'd also like to see a user-replaceable battery, a way to share purchased apps on both mobile and slate devices... oh yeah.. butch it up a bit and call it a 'slate' not a 'pad'.

Because this market is going to be absolutely flooded with devices very quickly, HP will need to hit various price points. There will be a lot of no-name companies offering cheap tablets (BestBuy already announced they will be dedicating a large focus on this area for the Christmas season), so HP will need various sizes (either physically or processing power).

Here's to hoping that HP pulls out all stops with their partner channels and pushes some big developers into having webOS apps ready to roll for the new devices and 2.0.
    I think one of the big problems with the competitors coming out with their products is the price point. Like you say above, you're willing to spend $400-500 "if its loaded".... people forget that before Apple announced the iPad's price point, analysts were expecting a price point $300-400 MORE than they launched with.

Speculations were up to $1000 for the starting model.

So load it up, give it a battery comparable to iPad, and what does that do to a manufacturer who is promising to come in under the iPad's price?
    Totally understand... that's just my personal price point. With HP, I'll almost guarantee they will have a high-end device or two for the more advanced (and richer). The low-end market will be flooded with devices, the larger companies like HP will be able to offer devices through all of the various price ranges. I just figure my own limits at $500 or so since this market will be changing and evolving every few months.
    I totally expect Apple to be 20-25% more than a COMPARABLE product. (Apple just is, but fortunately, you can also re-sell that same product 2-3 years later and gain a chunk of it back.)

But with perhaps ports, a full OS (or a more full featured OS), a processor big enough to handle the increased functions, and I think those hoping for a cheaper product - or even in the same range - will be disappointed.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Alright so I know everyone is sick of reading all the ooh I want... Post so I'll leave most of that out. I'll just say what I haven't heard much about.

First as HAS been mentioned my many: a few usb ports are a must. Because that just adds a whole dimension to it

but the not so said idea (as far as I know) is actually more of an accessory to it than for the device itself. It's a form of dock that acts as a stand and all that but also allows for 'desktop only' devices like a keyboard and mouse. While being able to take it anywhere is a given, I can still see a use to have it act as a less than portable device(desktop). After all aren't all new devices supposed to be hybrids? We all know that a lot of slates are coming to the market soon, and many before the webOS one. So hp needs something to make it stand out from the rest. Wouldn't it be nice to be working on your desktop and have the option to just walk away with it? No not like a laptop where it's still so huge. That's where the slate aspects of touchscren and all the stuff EVERYONE is saying. Plus I love webOS in general so why mess that up

wow that was longer than I expected. But hey, any thoughts?
    Last edited by 3rdsurfer; 08/23/2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: forgot something
    <<thread merged - because we don't need another thread about the exact same thing being actively discussed in a current thread: my idea>>
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    be able to download programs e.g., AVG, winzip, firefox from the internet.
    I want a device that will replace my seemingly dated styling of my laptop but without this ability it would not be a suitable suitor.
    why not make 2 devices, a tablet like the ipad and a convertible like the tm2.
    I want to be able to touch type on the back of the device while holding it on the sides
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Requirements (must have, or no sale)
    For me, it has to have AT LEAST the option to add a Wacom digitizer AND solid note-taking software. Note taking software should be somewhere near M$ OneNote. If it doesn't have both, I'm not buying. This device has to work AND play (unlike the iPad). Also needs to have a robust document creation software. I gave the Pre a pass on this one because it's a phone and DocsToGo was being a pain, but similar results would be unacceptable with a tablet.

Should have
    Dockable keyboard (Asus has something coming out that looks really pretty). Should at least have Bluetooth/USB keyboard support. I have no problem buying/lugging around peripherals. It should have 2+ USB ports. 1 USB port would be weak. 0... I'm not even going to comment. HDMI out will prolly be on there, even though I don't really care about that. I'd actually be more interested in a VGA out port and the software/drivers to connect to a projector.

More simply, I want an HP TX2T (TXT2?) in a slate form factor (instead of convertible laptop) with WebOS.
    "...human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

-Ghostbusters
    I want augmented reality/GPS, video and voice calling, 7-inch, webos 2.0 and flash....and some other cool features. What do u guys want ?
    I need a Sonos app Sonos - Wireless Multi-Room Music System as I'm ready to buy the IPAD just for this app alone. I have a background in the HT arena and the IPAD has turned the HT controller market on it's head (Crestron, AMX, etc.). I think that HP/PALM can help this product have a much wider appeal vs. the IPAD (openess, ease of programming with 2.0, true multi tasking, etc.) if HP reaches out to the Lutrons, Control 4, SONOS, etc. and work with them to develop apps that are available at launch to help demonstrate that there are true alternatives to the Apple ecosystem.

Having the apps available at launch would go a long way to demonstrating how easy it is to port an app to the WEBOS platform.

This would get my vote in a heart beat!!
    Last edited by mpressive; 09/04/2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpressive View Post
    I need a Sonos app Sonos - Wireless Multi-Room Music System as I'm ready to buy the IPAD just for this app alone. I have a background in the HT arena and the IPAD has turned the HT controller market on it's head (Crestron, AMX, etc.). I think that HP/PALM can help this product have a much wider appeal vs. the IPAD (openess, ease of programming with 2.0, true multi tasking, etc.) if HP reaches out to the Lutrons, Control 4, SONOS, etc. and work with them to develop apps that are available at launch to help demonstrate that there are true alternatives to the Apple ecosystem.

Having the apps available at launch would go a long way to demonstrating how easy it is to port an app to the WEBOS platform.

This would get my vote in a heart beat!!
    Hopefully HP is working on reaching out to devs of all types including the ones you reference above. Personally, I think that they know that having very strong dev support for webOS phones and tablets is important.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I want augmented reality/GPS, video and voice calling, 7-inch, webos 2.0 and flash....and some other cool features. What do u guys want ?
    7 inches is too small and I don't think HP is going to do less than Apple.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    i like the idea of a 7in tablet. real portability. just give it usb ports. maybe release a larger version too
    Palm prē-ist.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast