It's interesting to read the posts of people who are currently tethering their WiFi only iPads who say they're immensely sick of it and would buy a 3G/4G version instead of another WiFi only version. Yet it seems like everybody who doesn't currently tether a tablet seems to think tethering is a great idea.
Every single one of us would prefer a 4G version of the tablet, we just may not be willing to pay the extra expense of having a 4G connection. Personally, I don't have a great deal of interest in ANY tablet right now. I just want a good phone with a screen that isn't diminutive by smart phone standards.
I might want a WiFi only version if:
1) If the radio is 3G only. No 4G is an absolute deal-breaker. 3G is useless.
2) If my phone can create a WiFi hot spot while plugged into the tablet to charge.
3) If the data plan for the tablet is more than $20/mo.
4) If the WiFi only version is hundreds of dollars cheaper.
I might want a 4G version if:
1) There is no WiFi only version offered.
2) If the data plan is under $20/mo
3) If tethering will wipe out my phone's battery if I can't connect the phone to the tablet to charge.