View Poll Results: will you get wifi only version?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • wifi only

136 80.95%
  • wifi+3G/4G

32 19.05%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    in Germany you can get multi-sim cards (additional sim cards connected to the same phone number/contract for additional devices, but no additional service costs - all devices ring concurrently when a phone call comes in...), so I would very likely go with the umts/lte version.
    I haven't seen a WebOS phone as a wifi hotspot, but if they don't offer one, I'll get a Android phone on Verizon and a Honeycomb tablet. I'd prefer WebOS, but we can only be made to suffer so long.
    ideally, i'd like the cell radio. it is a mobil device, after all. and i would probably use it a lot just out and about at places that do not have wifi, like camping, or laying out at the beach, etc.

but, given that i am a broke ***** and don't want to spring for another line, i would have to say wifi. except that the broke part often keeps me out of places with wifi... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    in Germany you can get multi-sim cards (additional sim cards connected to the same phone number/contract for additional devices, but no additional service costs - all devices ring concurrently when a phone call comes in...), so I would very likely go with the umts/lte version.
    that would be awesome! we need that in the US. the only problem is see, is that puts the customer experience above profits, and that craziness just doesn't fly 'round here.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I'd get a wifi version. I see no practicality to get one on a network when my phone can just tether to it.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    So, if the PalmPad plan (on Sprint) is anything like the Galaxy Tab plan, then you'll HAVE to buy an independant $60 a month plan regardless of whatever you have now. That's lame. I thought I could add it to my family plan. If that's the case, then there's no way I'm paying an extra $60 a month just to have a tablet. My vote goes to the Wi-Fi version now...
    Well I mean.. There is tethering so.. WiFi only seems like a perfect match since I carry my phone wherever I go.
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    that would be awesome! we need that in the US. the only problem is see, is that puts the customer experience above profits, and that craziness just doesn't fly 'round here.
    Nots not the american way. Money comes first.
    I would go with Wifi. If you have a Pre Plus it is a no brainer cause you can just use mobile hotspot when you are away from home or other locations that lack wifi. Personally I have no real interest in the tab since I have both a capable laptop and the Pre Plus handles most of my on the go needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VzwPrePlus View Post
    I would go with Wifi. If you have a Pre Plus it is a no brainer cause you can just use mobile hotspot when you are away from home or other locations that lack wifi. Personally I have no real interest in the tab since I have both a capable laptop and the Pre Plus handles most of my on the go needs.
    I don't have a real interest either yet besides that it runs a mobile OS, feeds off the same ecosystem, and impacts smartphones.

But isn't a key benefit to a tablet that its instant on and ready to go? Getting the phone out, turning the hotspot on, etc takes time not to mention the hit to the phone's battery. Suddenly, that instant on isn't so instant. Additionally, that hotspot for the phone isn't usually free (though you got the Pre Plus). And if it is free, reliability usually takes a hit.

My thought would be if you plan on using this strictly as a home device, go wifi. If you plan on taking it places, and doing that frequently, then save yourself a headache and get a 3G/4G one and cough up the data plan.
    My thoughts are WiFi only if I am enticed to get one right away. Otherwise I will wait until the LTE coverage is good enough to really get my monthly subscription out of the data. Then the value of ubiquitous fast data would push me to get a 4G tablet.
    Wifi only. Tethering is fine for me. However, I'm hoping my phone will be able to charge with the tablet or all that tethering won't last too long.
    Wifi here ... not paying for a second data plan.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I would get Wifi Only because I do not really need to be on the go with my tablet. To me it's a media consumption device so I probably will just use it at home or a local Starbucks or wifi place.
    I'd get the Wifi 3g/4g as long as their is no crazy priced AT&T data plan....
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    It really depends on the way HP and the carriers set it up..

I'd buy the WiFi + 3G/4G version if they allowed me to subscribe as I wish to Data and without a contract.

If the carriers only offered the device with contract then I'd just get the WiFi only device and tether when I need to.
    If the data plan is similar to the iPad's, then I'd get the one w/ built-in wireless. I'd like to have the GPS (doesnt come on wifi-only models) and the ability to have a constantly-connected device for trips. But if the HP webOS tablet will tether to webOS devices sorta like the RIM Playbook does to Blackberry devices, then I'd get the wifi only (and hope it can use a BT GPS module when/if I need it).
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I'm leaning towards 3/4G LTEMax (?) Whatever it is if the plan is reasonable... though I'm probably just wishfully thinking seeing the carriers are clamping down on the unlimmited data buffet plans. But maybe the discount subsidized price will make it Attractive? If its not 4G and/or delays me getting one on day 0, Ill probably pass and somehow "manage" with wifi.
    it'd be nice if they had a cheap monthly plan for just a gig or so data, but I'm not holding too tight to that wish and a prayer!
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    If the data plan is similar to the iPad's, then I'd get the one w/ built-in wireless. I'd like to have the GPS (doesnt come on wifi-only models) and the ability to have a constantly-connected device for trips. But if the HP webOS tablet will tether to webOS devices sorta like the RIM Playbook does to Blackberry devices, then I'd get the wifi only (and hope it can use a BT GPS module when/if I need it).
    Does thatmean there is no way gps couldn't be includeded with wifi only version? If so,that sucks.... !
    I would buy wifi + 3g. I already have a dual sim card. So i could take my second sim out of my notebook and put it in the slate/pad.

On the other hand. My Pre does create a very good working wifi hotspot. I could use that instead if i use my slate/pad outside of a wifi network.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast