View Poll Results: What do you think the pricing on the Palm Topaz will be?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • < $300

13 12.75%
  • < $400

31 30.39%
  • < $500

29 28.43%
  • >= $500

29 28.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For the lowest end model, assuming comparable storage to the iPad's lowest model as well as being Wifi-only, where do you think the price should be?

I'm going with $349 < x < $449. Undercutting the iPad, even if by fifty bucks, would be a VERY, VERY wise decision on their part, especially if the thing comes with complimentary cloud storage for streaming media.
    Gotta be less than what the iPad's going for, absolutely. Substantially less would be even better. They have to expect the iPad price to come down this spring. Gen 1 iPad's will probably come down to $400ish or maybe even $350 on appearance of the iPad 2. They should probably plan on meeting that price. They have to entice customers to join their ecosystem somehow. Offering the later 7" model for even less would also be a good strategy. They would be wise to take a loss if necessary.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I don't see them undercutting whatever the iPad 2 price is, and they'll be more expensive than whatever iPad 1 devices are being blown out. Not with equivalent materials (e.g. OMAP chip, same size screen).

But that's for the wifi only. Who knows what carrier pricing would be?
    If they undercut the iPad too much, it can only mean cheap materials, cheap manufacturing, and cheap engineering design. That's no way to screw up a first impression ... again.
    Should be 300 to 500

I think will be 500+
    399.95 - it's a lock.

If this mega gigabyte cloud storage thing is true, then I could even see it being 299.95 on contract.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    399.95 - it's a lock.

If this mega gigabyte cloud storage thing is true, then I could even see it being 299.95 on contract.
    Would apps also only be cloud based? Im really amazed that ive allready blown through 8 gigs, half way though my ipads storage, just on apps.
    399.95 - it's a lock.

The 16GB of flash storage on the base (and most popular model of iPad...BY FAR) only costs about $25-30 in component costs. I don't see this enabling HP to undercut the iPad significantly. HP doesn't need to "cheap out" on any components.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    Would apps also only be cloud based? Im really amazed that ive allready blown through 8 gigs, half way though my ipads storage, just on apps.
    How would apps (as opposed to services) be cloud-based? what happens if you want to edit a document and you have no connectivity?
    I wouldn't want any part of that cloud storage if they don't let you access it this time.
    Apps can be cloud based, at least most can.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The 16GB of flash storage on the base (and most popular model of iPad...BY FAR) only costs about $25-30 in component costs. I don't see this enabling HP to undercut the iPad significantly. HP doesn't need to "cheap out" on any components.
    I really think that 299.95 is possible with cloud storage. Heck, if they can sell the Galaxy Tab for that much without cloud storage, then they can sell the WebOs Tablet/Palmpad/Touchpad/Topaz for that too.

I really think that 299.95 is possible with cloud storage. Heck, if they can sell the Galaxy Tab for that much without cloud storage, then they can sell the WebOs Tablet/Palmpad/Touchpad/Topaz for that too.
    Sprint dropped it to that on contract to stimulate sales. They came out originally $100 up ($400) just like everyone else. And keep in mind that it costs $50 less than the iPad 16GB in component costs because of the dinkier display.

And there's no way to undercut iPad data plans.

When has undercutting Apple on hardware price ever worked? Make a competitive product, then sell it competitively.
    Why get a data plan though with tethering on the pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    How would apps (as opposed to services) be cloud-based? what happens if you want to edit a document and you have no connectivity?
    Thats what im saying, u need a decent amount of internals, which translates into more cost, to store local apps. A decent amount for your teir one product, then it goes up from there.

I dont think hp could make a competative product for anything much cheaper than the ipad.... Imo
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Sprint dropped it to that on contract to stimulate sales. They came out originally $100 up ($400) just like everyone else. And keep in mind that it costs $50 less than the iPad 16GB in component costs because of the dinkier display.

And there's no way to undercut iPad data plans.

When has undercutting Apple on hardware price ever worked? Make a competitive product, then sell it competitively.
    Obviously we all want Palm/Hp to put out a quality product. I just happen to believe that with carrier subsidy, you can price it lower than the iPad.

Thing i find interesting about the ipad was that there wasnt a carrier subsidy, but instead a 3g antenna premium
    I'm in the boat that needs offline usage. Here in the great corn state, there are definitely areas where low or no service is encountered, and I would still need to work.

I'm hoping for 400-500, but that might be wishful thinking or the subsidized price.
    I see pandas.
    Thing i find interesting about the ipad was that there wasnt a carrier subsidy, but instead a 3g antenna premium
    But you also don't have to sign a contract. So you got that going for you. Which is nice.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    But you also don't have to sign a contract. So you got that going for you. Which is nice.
    +1. we're thinking the palmpad will go on a 2 year subsadized plan and not follow thr route the ipad took?
    Obviously we all want Palm/Hp to put out a quality product. I just happen to believe that with carrier subsidy, you can price it lower than the iPad.
    With carrier subsidies comes contracts and new plans. How many people want to be locked into a 2-year-contract and pay $xx a month for their new tablet? I know I don't.

I really hope HP goes the route Apple went with the iPad when it comes to carriers; the unlocked contract-free way.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast